Dogomania

Help!

Ash

My friend is looking for a dog for her family.

She recently just moved to a place where she can have dogs. Her step daughter has a dog that visits often so it has to be a friendly type dog.

I think she plans on adopting from a shelter, but is researching a dominant breed. Her kids are aged, 3 and 6. She doesn't want a toy breed (I recommended a cavalier king charles spaniel) or a pitbull mix. The dog that comes over now is that.

She wants something not to large, because her daughter, but also not to small because her daughter may be a bit rough at times. She's looking for a breed that's good with children and animals.
Also, keep in mind, she lives in Michigan, so she needs a dog tolerant of cold weather.

Any ideas?

Have her adopt an adult black lab or black lab cross? Already trained or mostly trained, temperment already known, adult size already known, often good with kids, has enough play and energy for kids usually, easily solid enough to deal with kids, there can be smaller labs between 50-70 lbs or lab crosses 30-? lbs probably and black labs are the most common dogs in shelters and black dogs are hard to adopt out.

Good luck.

i was going to suggest Husky also but wasnt sure if she was up to their energy level.

if she doesnt already know, make sure she knows that Huskys are NOT content to just lay around all day, they need to be exercise daily and i'm not talkin like a walk around the block, they need to go on at least 1-2 long walks a day or they will become board and tear up things, also hey are notorious escape artists, anything less than a 6 foot fence wont keep a husky contained!

I'd suggest a lab-cross too. :wink: Labs are all-around dogs with a tolerable energy-level and easy to train.
Then again: No matter what kind of dog they end up with - it will need some adjusting to the family and training. :)

[URL=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/4541/fpowluckyface28av.jpg[/img][/URL]
This is one of our therapy-dogs. She's a pitbull-lab mix and a real sweetey ! :iloveyou: She was adopted from a kill-shelter.

Thanks AllAmericanPup, if you don't mind I'll C & P what you said.

She sure looks like a sweety, Sabine. I'll let you know what she ends up getting.

I wish I knew what Smokie was crossed with but seing as he was a stray, we'll never know. .lol