Dogomania
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Does anyone have any experience with Tibetan Mastiffs

Does anyone have any experience with this breed.
We have a new neighbor whose TM is about 5 years old. She is very , very , stressed from the move. She will NOT urinate. It is going on 24 hours . She is drinking just enough water to keep from dehydrating , but so that she can hold it in.
Has anyone heard of a dog doing this? She is not in distress just stressed.
When she is in the house she is calm and lays down and relaxes . When he tries to take her to potty she wants back in the house.

They are closely related to wolves and I wondered if it was some type of prey animal behavior. Will she calm down and finally pee? Would it help or make it worse to try and potty her in my yard where she can smell my dogs?

Obviously a vet needs to be consulted and he has a call into his vet if the vet does not get back to him very quickly off to the ER , but I just wondered if anyone had experienced this before.

I fostered one, years ago...they are VERY location orientated..the move is obviously upsetting her. it took me quite a few days to get mine to eat when I fostered him. she will also try to escape and head back to her other house, let him know that.

the more things they have in the new house that are familiar, even arranging the furniture as closely as possible to the old house, will help.

once she is settled in they can change it, but right now its best to make this house as close as possible to the old house, and give her extra attention. if she refuses to drink she will need a vet, but I hate to see that being as she is so stressed already....see if she will drink pedialite...it has all the nutrients a baby needs, and while not meant for a dog may get her over the rought period til she settles in...

Guest Mutts4Me
I know if I ever find myself with 10 acres and a job for them to do, I would very much like one... As for your question, nothing. I don't know about them being closely related to wolves, they're an ancient Mastiff-type dog, their ancestors have been dated to 1100 BC, although they weren't really "discovered" by western culture until the 1800s...

[url]http://www.tibetanmastiff.org/HTMLfiles/Breedfacts/briefhistory.htm[/url]

I would imagine that with their drive being that of a guardian dog, she's upset at being uprooted from HER territory and being placed elsewhere... Once she gets re-adjusted, she'll probably manage to accept the new home as her new territory and get settled in.

With reluctant to pee dogs we've dealt with (mostly when they're new, or in one case, a paraplegic dog that sometimes didn't know he was full), I'd go outside with them and massage their bladder areas. I don't know if it helped or not, but my neighbors sure thought I was crazy... standing behind my dog, massaging "that" area vigorously, smiling and waving with the other hand at them at the same time... :oops:

Anyway, for dogs that I worry have gone too long, I will massage their bladder area to encourage urination. I tend to worry that they are setting themselves up for infection if they hold it too long.

well it sounds like addaptation problems, it's not the breed only the dog himself.
i say just leave him as he is, let him rest in queit and he will be ok in a week
that whats called low nerve stabilty, dog that born that way don't take new things to good, they need time to relaxe ( they also remmeber bad experiance like jumping over the fence and got hit in the legs so some of them won't jump ever again and some will need some time to try it again )
but anyway after two-three days if she didn't pee yet i sugest calling the vet, just to be sure everyting is alright 8)

[quote name='courtnek']*ahem*

Its not like Alan to be so.....lack of wording or detail.....

REST of the story, please????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Sorry Court :D Got a 100 things going on right now. For one, I just got a new foster puppy. I will post pics for you all tonight but right now, she keeps biteing my socked feet! She is a little pit puppy and bites like a gator! :lol: Im also helping a friend with a computer.

As far as the story. It really wasnt my neighbor. I was just trying to keep the story from being confusing. Anyway, a friend who lives in a state different than mine, had the neighbor with the dog. She called me and asked me about it for her neighbor. I told her that I didnt really know what to tell him other than check with the vet; but, I did have some friends in my dog group whom I thought were very sharp and would give some usefull insight. I always put you guys on the spot :wink: .

Anyway, he (the owner) told her (my friend) that he took the dog out and she peed and everything is looking good. She passed that info into me and that was really all I had :lol:

Funny thing is, Court, you haven't known me that long really but you already know , I am generaly long winded :lol: Just didnt want you to think I was mad or being a butt!

PS, When she asked me, I told her (speaking of you) that there is one person in my group in particular whom I can pretty much always count on for good advice and that I'd bet she was even out there about now. Sure enough, I was reading your reply back to her while she was still on the phone. I figured you would get a kick out of hearing that.

This whole group though, I would consider to be smarter than the average bear!

well thank you very much. I appreciate that. No, I didnt think you were being a GM, figured you were busy, but the thought just popped into my head so I posted it...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get myself in trouble for that alot..... :oops:

[quote name='courtnek']well thank you very much. I appreciate that. No, I didnt think you were being a GM, figured you were busy, but the thought just popped into my head so I posted it...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get myself in trouble for that alot..... :oops:[/quote]

Dont worry, yo wont get in trouble with me. If you think it, post it, I sure wont get mad! :lol: