Dogomania

How good is a dogs memory

I think they remember things that impact them better than others, and also things that the pack would use for survival, like the Marshall's dog hides and recovers bones... :lol:

sometimes they remember things we'd rather they didnt, like being scared by a man in a big hat, or being hit with a newspaper. My X used to smack Free with one when I wasnt home...to this day, if you roll up a newspaper or magazine around her she goes ballistic and tries to tear it out of your hands. if she gets it, its history...shredded to critical mass...

they also remember people, those that were good to them, and those that were bad....short term I think they remember corrections for stuff when when they were caught...whether they obey those corrections is another story....Laurel countersurfs....as soon as I notice (Free tells on her) I will yell NO CSing!! and she'll jump down and look guilty. doesnt stop her from trying again however....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

once I realized it, I tried to break her of the fear, but it didnt work. so now I sacrifice newspapers and make it a game. its one of her favorites, she sees you rolling one up, and she bounces off the walls and growls at it with tail wagging....probably not the best fix for the situation, but it works...she no longer seems afraid, just anxious to "get it"...

8)

I only go home once are twice a month, and Smokie remembers me like I'm there everyday. I wish that I could be there more often. I miss him a lot.
Also, he forgets where he puts his toys, so his short term memory is kind of off , I think lol.

[quote name='schippsmom']:Dog_run:

Re-Run remembers that when a family member walks in the door and he walks to the treat cupboard, they will give him a treat. If they forget, a high pitched bark that rips through your body will remind them.[/quote]

I got my first Pit Bull from a friend. He had the dog for two years. We were together a lot and when the dog was four, he moved from Indiana to Denever and I didnt see him for 4 years. When he came back, Bravo definitely remembered him. He was happy to see everyone but it was obvious he remembered Curt cause he went totaly bezerk jumping all over him and licking him like it was a good friend come home!

Long-term: Daytona remembers the orthopedic vet who dislocated his patella for "demonstration-purposes" :o :evil: Whenever we come near that vet's office he REFUSES to keep going....... Don't really blame the boy, even though it's been a few years back. :wink:

Short term memory: Food will be served at 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. - don't dare be late, mom !! :lol:

Tessa lives in the here and now........... nothing to remember yet I guess. :D

Meg remembered me after 4 months of me being apart from her in the Netherlands :D . I was so scared she would forget but that wasn't the case. There have been a lot of studies done into dogs memory, so if I get a chance later today, I'll try see if I can access any of the journal archives.