Dogomania

What kind of dog is this?

Marble

I'm thinking about another dog but I'm just starting to research... I probably won't actually get one till next summer. If you can think of a breed that meets the following please let me know :) I'm probably going to adopt another mutt but might find a rescue....

Big- 60-90lb
Great watchdog
Good with other dogs-especially bitchy older female dogs :) And, not dog agressive
Fairly short hair
Not extremely hyper
Easy to train-Dresden has been extremely difficult-worth it but I don't know if I want two difficult dogs at the same time... I'm still perpetually reinforcing with her because she's got that Doberman/Cattle dog mixture and enjoys being provocative :)
Gentle with people/kids

I know this is asking a lot from a dog but if you can think of something please let me know... I'll actually have internet access for a few days.
Thanks, Marble

I agree with the lab, but an older one. Labs can be very alerting to strangers, if thats what you mean by watchdog, but they are not guard dogs by any means. a good lab will bark at the door, then let the guy in and lead him to the safe...they are generally bred to be people friendly...

(well, except mine, but she's a mix)

they are usually good with kids, and other animals, but since mine is the exception to both of those rules as well :roll: :roll:
I would choose one that has been fostered first, just to be sure.

I'm thinking a rottie or a rottie mix might be best... I grew up with labs and they always ended up with really bad health problems that broke my heart and it was really painful. Do rotties generally get along with other dogs if raised with them from a young age? Are they generally easy to train? As a single female I really want a good watch dog too... My house got broken into with Dresden in it a few weeks ago while I was at work, they scared the heck out of her, poor little dog. I felt really badly for her. Do you have suggestions for how to check out temperments of rottie mix puppies for any potention problems? Anything I should look for?

Thank you :) Marble

Thank you for your help :) I sort of looked into Rotties before I adopted Dresden but then I saw her at the pound... It just seems like the good ones are fairly laid back cool dogs. I would probably adopt a puppy from the pound though. It kills me to see all the dogs there and I think if I was with a puppy enough and checked it out I might be able to get a reasonably one. Hopefully I would be able to take Dresden and see if they would get along... :) I have an awesome rottie book back at my house I need to reread...