Dogomania

New puppy- advice welcome

cailleach

Hello, all.

I just brought home a Shih Tzu/ Lhasa Apso mix yesterday. Now, we had been talking about getting a small dog for a bit, but had planned to do some research first. This little guy, however, fell in our laps. He needed a new home now, so we jumped in.

I have had dogs before, and they were always well cared for and well behaved. They were also large mutts. Socrates is going to have different needs and concerns. Any advice is welcome.

He is 4 months old, and housebreaking is going very well. I have made an appointment with the vet, and am currently feeding him Iams puppy food (dry). Grooming will be a big concern, esp. which products to use for his coat and skin. Also, any little idiosyncrasies that are normal, and shouldn't be cause for worry, or anything that wouldn't cause me to blink with a larger dog that should be cause for concern. basically anything.

Thanks in advance. As I said, we had planned to do some research beforehand, and I want to make sure I give Socrates everything he needs.

Shel.

well aside from that they are smaller than the regualr dogs and therefore can be esealy hurt. you can reaserch about the breeds your dog is mixed with them to get a general pic about your dog.
you can get a food for small breeds for your dog, there is also a food for smaller breed puppies....
you can leave her fur to grow or you can keep it shortly groomed, just keep it not to short..
generaly Shih Tzus are geart dogs ( i don't know to much the Lhasa Apso )
but a reaserch about them both can give you a better pic about what to excpect from your puppy, the good and the bad saids.
by the way what about some pics? :D

what TDG is trying to say ever so pc is that iams sucks in general as a pet food and you might want to look into other foods for your little guy!

my number one recommendation is puppy kindergarten! find a class and get in it now. you need to get him out and around other dogs, puppies, people etc. early socialization is something you can't make up for later. it will greatly benefit you both!

Thanks, all.

Yeah, I've been looking around online, and found out about all the great foods out there, but Iams and Purina are basically it in this area. I'll visit your link, TDG, and then talk to his vet when we go in. See if he has any samples I can try before making the 50 mile drive and picking up something great that he won't eat. If not, I'll still make the drive, just probably pick up 2 or 3. That way, if the first one doesn't work for him, I don't have to drive up there again right away.

Irena, I'll get some pics up as soon as I figure out how to work my webcam, lol. I don't have a digital camera, and my scanner is kaput.

I've already started checking into classes, and think that should go well. Socrates is very smart, and is picking up on his training extremely fast. The second day we had him (yesterday) there were no accidents at all, and he wasn't housebroke at all when we got him!

Love this board, btw. I found it while looking for info on my little guy, and everyone seems to really love their pets, and know a lot. I'll be spending a lot of time here.

Shel.

OK, so I've been reading a LOT, and I'm more confused than ever. I knew there were tons of dog foods out there, and that they were not all created equal, but WOW!

Between my location, and my newly-discovered fear of ever-changing ingredients, I think homemade is the way to go. I see a few of you do this, and I have the time. Sorry if this is already on here somewhere, but can someone direct me to a site, or discussion, that will help get me started? When my children were babies, they were fed homemade babyfood, and thrived, so this isn't a whim. Unfortunately, I believed a lot of the propaganda about ONLY feeding commercial dog food until I came here.

Thanks,
Shel.

Edited bc my brain is on hiatus

thanks for the comments all - i'm always glad to hear people like my site and find it useful.

if anyone ever has any questions, please do feel free to contact me via email. i don't always get to keep up with all the forums i visit, but do check email daily. :)