Dogomania

Aggression

Cora

My dog is going on 6 months and has been barking at little sounds. I live in a busy neighborhood. He acts like he's ready to bust the door down when he hears noises. I like him being protective of the house but do not want to annoy my neighboors so I usually tell him "No". I'd also love to give him a dog door when I am not home but letting a yappy dog outside alone is a bad idea. I wish I could get him to bark at people in my yard or at the door, not across the street or at the creaky door in the wind.

Tonight in training class he jumped on a terrier 1/5 his size and grabbed them by the neck. I got to it quickly but was very embarassed (and mad). It felt aggressive and not a play mode I've seen him use with other dogs. Ironically the dog had peed minutes before. After the episode my dog peed in his spot twice. This also made me wonder if it was dominance and not "rough play". When I take him on walks he smells and marks.

He is getting neutered in 2 weeks. How long have others found it takes for the marking and other aggressions to subside? I know my experience may be different but I wanted a general consensus. And any ideas on how to get him to use a dog door and be quiet at the right times? Or am I destined to let him bark or just not?

Thanks!

the jumping and peeing is territorial dominance. the other dog peed, marking his spot (be it in fear or dominance, doesnt matter, it got marked) and your dog jumped in and remarked. my space. my place. dont mark her.

now for the bad news...this is NOT a good thing, and your dog needs a little gentle but positive demotion. remarking in a many dog situation is not unusal, but jumping to the gun should not be tolerated. I would practice NILIF consistently with your dog, to the point that he obeys you EVERY TIME. He should let YOU decide who owns this space, not him.

I can help you with that if you need it.

8)

My trainer said he was not being aggressive but I have had him for 3 months and would say differently. The other dog yelped and he continued disregading to to be gentle like I taught him. He has never been aggressive toward people thus far. Sometimes he growls when I walk him, but sometimes there is a cat hiding near by. I heard neutering helps which I will do but what are your other suggestions? I found this cool link....

[url]http://www.pethelp.net/aggdog.html[/url]

:drinking: