Dogomania

Why do people take agressive dogs to Petsmart?

Guest Oscar The Grouch

Guest Oscar The Grouch

So we just picked up Bentley and Roxie from the kennel where they had stayed the weekend and gotten baths (Luke was picked up this morning to go be emasculated).

So they are making friends with a Boxer puppy, and all is going well, and I turn around and see this GSD/Malanois/malmute looking dog (not really sure what it was, but it had those features). Normally, I would let the dogs slowly go up to the other one and make friends, but for some reason I asked "Is your dog friendly" Cause usually Bentley never barks, and he did- not an agressive bark, but a bark none the less.

Her response was "no, he is agressive toward other dogs"

I'm thinking why in the hell would you bring an agressive dog to Petsmart, especially without a muzzle on? WTF :o

Well - taking an aggressive dog to PetSmart and "unleashing" it onto others I would find quite offensive myself. :oops: People who do not control their dogs frighten me. ;)
Another PetSmart pet peeve of mine are on the other hand dog-owners who assume that all dogs are friendly, and therefore let their furry sidekicks jump onto every dog approaching them :evilbat: My dane for instance is a saint, but he CAN'T STAND dogs jumping straight at him. *grrr* :roll:
What I'm trying to say: When I'm at PetSmart with my dogs I'm always on guard. :D You never know who or what you run into....... :lol:

Yep, the owner was an idiot!

My three are extremely friendly, but I won't let them just go up to other dogs to say hi. I can take all three in there with me and they are very well-behaved. If you can't control your dog, you shouldn't bring him into Petsmart! And I agree that if the dog was aggressive to other dogs, put a fucking muzzle on the dog!

Um no the owner wasn’t an idiot!

You yourself said you normally just let your dogs go up to any other dogs and you made it sound out of the ordinary that you actually asked if the dog was friendly and if it was ok to approach.

Before letting your dog approach another – you should ALWAYS ask the other owner if its ok. People that don’t do that are the ones that are idiots.

The only reason you know that this other dog was dog aggressive is because the owner told you it was not ok for your dog to approach. Nothing wrong with that!

As long as the dog is under control and is no threat to anyone, then it has as much right to be taken places as any other dog.

Not all dogs like to have their personal space invaded by strange dogs approaching them. As a responsible owner you should know that and show other owners some courtesy.

Just because someone takes their dog out in public, it doesn’t mean it’s a free for all for other dogs to get in their faces.

[quote name='Michele'][quote]Before letting your dog approach another – you should ALWAYS ask the other owner if its ok. People that don’t do that are the ones that are idiots.[/quote]

MAL: I think he did ask the owner if the dog was friendly...

I have to disagree with you. IMO, I feel that if you have an agressive dog and you bring that dog into Petsmart where you know there are going to be other dogs, then your dog should be kept on a leash and muzzled. It's the owner's responsibility to make sure it doesnt attack another dog.[/quote]

[quote]Normally, I would let the dogs slowly go up to the other one and make friends, but for some reason I asked "Is your dog friendly" [/quote] The "but for some reason" makes me think it's not a matter of course for the original poster to ask if it's ok for his dog to approach others.

Michelle, I agree with you 100% about people needing to keep thier dogs under control. However Oscar never said the other dog was unleashed and that it was attacking anyone, or even displaying aggressive behaviour for that matter.

All the other owner did (only going by what was originally posted) was have his dog with him and then when asked if his dog was friendly said no.

If anyone asked me if their dog could approach Indy - my answer would be exactly the same.

Hhhhhmmmmmmmmm - that may all be true ;) , but some dogs really don't like other dogs running straight into their faces. :oops: I just think it's etikette to ask people beforehand. (Something Oscar obviously did... ;))
I went to PetSmart the other day to find a woman with her dog on an EXTENDED Flexileash. :o She was shopping in one aisle, whilst her dog was sniffing out the treats in the next aisle over. :o :evil:

Some people are just totally inconsiderate !!!!!! :evilbat: :roll: :-?

I agree with Mal.

Abby is the passive type of dog aggressive, (Or so she has become since I've worked with her on it.) like how Jessi describes her Sasha. But she loves people and she likes to go out and socialize, I love bringing her to the PETCO here when I get the chance. I have her wear a halti lead and keep her close to me, plus we avoid the other dogs in the store. I've never had any problems.

Just as you should always ask permission to pet another dog you should always ask before you let your dog roam on up to some other dog you don't know. It really pis*es me off when people don't have the common sense to ask. Not all dogs are dog friendly. My dog is totally under my control, she shouldn't have to miss out on normal doggie activities because others are irresponsible.

I'm with Mal, too. I have at least one dog that absolutely would go at another dog if it got too close. It wouldn't keep me from taking him into PetWhatever or anywhere else. I have him under control. He isn't roaming the store and he isn't allowed to actually approach another dog. As long as other people respect OUR boundaries, all will be fine.

Besides, how would you ever socialize an aggressive/non-friendly dog if you didn't take them out around others? People would consider you irresponsible if you didn't attempt to socialize your dog, but they consider it irresponsible when you try.

I think Mal is 100% dead on target.

I agree with Mal, since Free can be sometimes a real bitch and doesnt like to be approached by dominant dogs...but THIS cracked me up...

[quote](Luke was picked up this morning to go be emasculated).[/quote]

ummm....neutered? Icant think of a single woman who would say "emasculated"....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I take my parent's Lhasa out places. She is dog aggressive if someone is stupid enough to let their dog run up to her and get in her face.

But, if you are a responsible owner, you are in control of your dog, he's not pulling and gagging at the end of his leash, then Shasta is fine.

I walk down the isle, she is at my side, heeling. I stop, she sits. She is a very good dog.

To me, the stupid owners are the ones who have ill manered dogs and do nothing about them. They think it's okay if their dogs jumps all over people and pulls on the leash.

Guest Oscar The Grouch

Good points all of you. The lady did have her dog on a leash, and he waqs pretty much ignoring our two, but what if we had been going down th e same aisle? I keep a tight leash on mine, but while he was controled, she was letting him pull his leash as far as it would go, and for that matterf was also letting him put his front paws up on the reptile cages to look in the second level.

And yeah, ordinairly, while cautious, I typically dont just out right ask. I think the owner bears some responsibility to protect other dogs from their own dog also given that petsmart is somewhere where you EXPECT to see other dogs.

[quote name='Oscar The Grouch']And yeah, ordinairly, while cautious, I typically dont just out right ask. I think the owner bears some responsibility to protect other dogs from their own dog also given that petsmart is somewhere where you EXPECT to see other dogs.[/quote]

Other than keeping the dog under control, leashed at their side, what else should they do to protect other dogs? I expect to see other dogs in PetWhatever, but I do not expect anyone to just let their dog approach mine. I'm responsible for keeping my dog under control, as anyone is with theirs, no matter how friendly they think their dog (or mine) is. I expect you to keep YOUR dog under control.

Doing rescue work, I might be socializing a nervous dog, or a dog with some degree of dog aggression, by taking them into places where there are people and other dogs. PetWhatevers are often the perfect, and sometimes just about the only place to do this. It isn't fair to label a person irresponsible just because someone might do something silly like assume my dog is friendly just because he's there, and let their dog approach it. Each owner is responsible for their own dog, and that means keeping your own dog under control. IMO, it should be basic doggy and owner manners to never let your dog approach another without the consent of the other owner.

Guest Mutts4Me

Working at Petsmart, I constantly get a look at the idiot owners who bring their aggressive/uncontrollable dogs into the store. I also see the idiot owners who assume because their dogs are friendly, it's perfectly reasonable to let them approach strange dogs. When someone lets their dog fly at another dog and the other dog's owner acts alarmed, the idiot owner quickly, happily explains "I'ts okay because s/he's friendly!" At being told "Well mine isn't," they act quite taken aback and horrified, often confused even. Because every dog must love other pups playing with it?

Mine doesn't. I do take her to PetSmart, and she does fine. I casually keep her a reasonable distance from other dogs, and she ignores dogs that pass her by. She never goes AT another dog (although interestingly enough, she does growl at Huskies, even half the store away), but if another dog attempts to charge her, she will back up and sometimes bark a warning. If someone whose dog is looking remotely eager to meet my dog asks if their dog can meet mine, I will tell them that it's not a good idea.

So am I an idiot owner? Who knows. I know my mutt loves to go to the store, and I am willing to take her to work on my off hours just because she loves it so much. I'm responisible, keeping a watch on both her and other dogs, planning my route accordingly. I plan to continue taking her, too, even if it does make me an idiot :wink:

Ditto to what HF said.

I will never give my dog aggressive dog the opportunity to harm another dog. I am always on guard and watch him very very closely around other dogs to make sure he has enough space.

However if another owner lets their dog get in my dogs face and invades our space, without giving me warning or enough time for me to tell them to back off then there is not a great deal I can do.

I do watch other owners like a hawk though as there is always someone who just lets their dogs approach other dogs without asking. I’m always ready to blurt out “my dog is not dog friendly” in order to get people to back off.

Just because a dog is in public doesn’t mean it’s automatically ok to approach it. Normal doggy courtesy must still be observed.

[quote name='Oscar The Grouch']

And yeah, ordinairly, while cautious, I typically dont just out right ask.[/quote]

Then YOU are the one being an irresponisble dog owner and not very mannerly either. Actually by not asking you are being pretty rude and inconsiderate. If I was with the most dog friendly dog in the world, I would still be irritated by having any random person allowing thier dog free rein to get in my dog's face. How am I am supposed to know if the dog approaching us is friendly to other dogs or people? Or sick? PetSmarts and PetCos don't have any requirements beyond leashes for dogs that come into thier stores.
[quote]
I think the owner bears some responsibility to protect other dogs from their own dog also given that petsmart is somewhere where you EXPECT to see other dogs.[/quote]

And you bear the responsiblity to protect your dog(s) from harm by not allowing them to do something so foolhardy as approaching an unknown dog, wherever it may be without explicit permission. Yes, you EXPECT to see other animals at petsmart/PetCo, but that doesn't mean that it is a free for all. Many dogs DO go there for socialization, being in the store isn't an open invitation for being approached. Much like when a woman goes to a bar, she should probably EXPECT to get hit on by some slobbering toothless loser, but it doesn't mean she has to welcome it or accept it.

And knowing that most of the general population isn't as dog savvy as some of the members here, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure the other dog is approachable before you let your dog just run up and say "hi". It [i]should[/i] be common sense.

Guest Oscar The Grouch

[quote name='Queen Bitch'][quote name='Oscar The Grouch']

And yeah, ordinairly, while cautious, I typically dont just out right ask.[/quote]

Then YOU are the one being an irresponisble dog owner and not very mannerly either. Actually by not asking you are being pretty rude and inconsiderate. If I was with the most dog friendly dog in the world, I would still be irritated by having any random person allowing thier dog free rein to get in my dog's face. How am I am supposed to know if the dog approaching us is friendly to other dogs or people? Or sick? PetSmarts and PetCos don't have any requirements beyond leashes for dogs that come into thier stores.
[quote]
I think the owner bears some responsibility to protect other dogs from their own dog also given that petsmart is somewhere where you EXPECT to see other dogs.[/quote]

And you bear the responsiblity to protect your dog(s) from harm by not allowing them to do something so foolhardy as approaching an unknown dog, wherever it may be without explicit permission. Yes, you EXPECT to see other animals at petsmart/PetCo, but that doesn't mean that it is a free for all. Many dogs DO go there for socialization, being in the store isn't an open invitation for being approached. Much like when a woman goes to a bar, she should probably EXPECT to get hit on by some slobbering toothless loser, but it doesn't mean she has to welcome it or accept it.

And knowing that most of the general population isn't as dog savvy as some of the members here, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure the other dog is approachable before you let your dog just run up and say "hi". It [i]should[/i] be common sense.[/quote]

And believe me, from now on I WILL ask- though usually both dogs are approaching each other, its not like i am saying "go meet that random dog ten feet away". I'm aware it's not a free for all, but again, what if we were to walk down this same aisle going opposite directions. I keep my two on a short leash at the point where they are made to stay right by my side, where as this other person was not doing the same.

I agree with Mal (and the others who agree with her). :wink:

As long as the dog isnt so aggressive it cant be controlled, I see nothing wrong with having a dog-aggressive dog in PetsMart. And as has been said, responsible people ask first if they or their dog can apporoach the other persons dog. When Im at Adoption Days, its soooo annoying when people just let their dogs run right up to ours! It causes a lot of problems... dogs start growling and barking, chaos breaks loose. :roll:

[quote name='"Oscar The Grouch'] I keep my two on a short leash at the point where they are made to stay right by my side, where as this other person was not doing the same.[/quote]

Then this is where the other person [b]was[/b] doing the wrong thing.

You didn't say that in your original post. You initially made it sound like the other owner was just standing there minding their own business.

Guest Oscar The Grouch

[quote name='Malamum'][quote name='"Oscar The Grouch'] I keep my two on a short leash at the point where they are made to stay right by my side, where as this other person was not doing the same.[/quote]

Then this is where the other person [b]was[/b] doing the wrong thing.

You didn't say that in your original post. You initially made it sound like the other owner was just standing there minding their own business.[/quote][/quote]

sorry for not being clear.. not enough :drinking:

ok i admit i didn't take the time to read thru all the posts and i am sure i am repeating what someone said somewhere but . . . .

kudos to you oscar for asking if her dog was friendly this should happen before any dogs meet on leash. also remember that ultimately your own dog determines who he will or will not greet -- what i mean is that your dog should never be made to greet any person, pet, inanimate object if he is apprehensive or fearful! your biggest defense is turning and walking away -- there is always another path.

when dogs are leashed and we hold the leash with a death grip and try to let them meet face to face in petsmart -- why do we then wonder why they become pissy (i certainly don't like every person i meet)? you take away their ability to run (flight) or even defer to the other dog. you, the handler, have to remain calm and leave a bit of slack in the leash if your dog is rushed or greeting another. also 3 minute face to face greetings are not appropriate -- really just a sniff hello nose to butt is sufficient -- then move on.

as for this particular incident i do think you should be able to bring a dog aggressive dog to petsmart esp if you are using cc&d. as long as your dog is manageable and you are sure to tell others before it is too late (ie your dog is able to self-reward by going off) then i see nothing wrong with it. personally i would have soft-muzzled the dog as a little extra hint to other people.

I dont get it. I only read a few posts, so correct me if I am wrong. You guys are advocating taking aggressive dogs to Petco, as long as they are on-leash and "under control?"
Sorry but around here you cannot just assume that Muffin's owner is going to ask "Hi, is your dog aggressive. Can we come over to say hi?"
What ends up happening is that Muffin's owner ends up checking out a new super-duper dog toy while Muffin rounds the corner on her Flexi-leash and walks right up to a dog-aggressive dog without her owner even knowing what here dog is doing.
I really disagree with a lot of you here, aggressive dogs do NOT belong in Petco or another pet store with small aisles. Its the same deal at dog parks. I have had to risk getting bitten numerous times for breaking up a dogfight (which my dogs were not even involved in) only to hear a girl crying that "I cant believe my dog bit your dog. I can usually control her fine." Or whatever the case.
And R2, I dont understand how you had a problem with me handling my bud's dob (who I had control of at the dog park) yet its ok to bring an aggro dog to a dog store with tiny aisles?
I could bring Kira to Petco, and she would not do anything to another dog that approached her. She would if I wasnt standing on the other end of the leash. But, I figure if she is aggressive, why would I want to stress her out and bring her arond dogs that irritate her?

Just wanted to add that of course it's owners responsibilities to keep their dogs under control and not running up to other dogs without seeing if its ok first. Does that always happen? Absolutely not! When a dog comes charging your dog-aggressive dog at Petco and your dog bites the heck out of the other dog what are you going to say? "Sorry its the other dogs fault because they didnt ask me if my dog was animal-friendly." 99/100, the owner of the dog that bit the other one would be stuck with the vet bills.

if you notice drj i said as part of a cc&d protocol! assuming your dog is in the latter stages and already has a good cer around dogs (ie looks at you for chicken when he sees other dogs, sits when he sees other dogs, etc). you might also note that i said i would muzzle mostly for the sake keeping people away (they see muzzle they don't approach).

you're right there are people who bring little muffy on a flexi lead and choke collar who have absolutely no idea what the dog is doing. she becomes lunch :evilbat: just kidding. you can move away or you can get the owner's attention!