Dogomania
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

How certain are you?

I think this is a relevant question and I think as people answer it, you will see why.

How certain are you that your cat is safe with your dog? Do you ever leave them alone and uncrated?

My dogs and my cats get along well, but we never, ever leave them alone unsupervised. My cats have a safe room of their own that is barricaded by a baby gate where they have quick access to get away from the dogs. None of my dogs has ever tried to hurt my cats, but a couple of them occasionally stalk them, in play, of course. My cats are so used to dogs that they aren't afraid at all. They often sleep together, play together, and just get along really well.

I've noticed that my dogs can sometimes get a little too excited and take on sort of a pack mentality. I don't trust that they wouldn't get carried away. One on one or even a few at a time, no problem, but I'll never allow my dogs to have total freedom with my cats. They've never hurt one, but I don't trust them implicitly.

my cats and dogs are alone together all day all the time. Ford is a chunker and has all his claws, and PC is just attitude looking for a victim.

neither of the dogs bother either of the cats, in fact Ford likes to sleep with Laurel. PC lets no one but me touch him. Also, if a fracas was to break out, the cats can escape to the basement, which is blocked off from the dogs since the litter boxes are down there. so no worries...

Completely safe. Carse and the three kitties have free roam over the house during the day when we arent here. I'd be more worried about Carse getting hurt rather then the cats. They all have full claws, and are bitchy little buggers when they wanna be.

awwww....cats are cool. they are different than dogs, in tons of ways, but they still have the ability to make you feel really good. they will sit in your lap, and rub on you, and purr at you..the purr gets people every time. It allows them to be independent while still getting "under your skin..." I love my cats....and dogs...

8)

[quote name='BuddysMom']True court ... I wouldn't want to live without cat any more than I'd want to live without dog.[/quote]

Get a Manx, look them up! They are more like a dog, personality than a cat. I have a cat and a Manx. They are as different as night and day.

What I am seeing is that some of you feel confident that your cat is safe. What I am about to tell you, may save your cats life.

I know of more than one instance, where someone had a cat and a dog at the same time. They lived in harmony for several years. One day the dog (and its been more than one breed which did this) just for no reason, decided to kill the cat. The people it happened to said they would have never suspected it in a million years.

My advice, even if you think your cat is safe, I would never leave a cat with a dog unattended and never trust that your dog will never kill your cat. Someday, you may be sorry. I am just warning you to sleep with one eye open, that is all.

[quote name='Alan'][quote name='BuddysMom']True court ... I wouldn't want to live without cat any more than I'd want to live without dog.[/quote]

Get a Manx, look them up! They are more like a dog, personality than a cat. I have a cat and a Manx. They are as different as night and day.
[/quote]

Or get a Russian Blue. Sheesh, Nikki is freakin insane. She begs, eats everything, cuddles with you, runs to the fridge when its open, plays with tennis balls.. goodness gracious. We have a dog that thinks he's a cat, and a cat that thinks he's a dog. :lol:

btw- Isnt it nice being able to type out cat instead of [email protected]? :lol:

No cats here.

If I did have cats then I wouldn't trust my dogs alone with it. With Indy I have to keep an eye out for other dogs on our walks, but with Kira I have to keep an eye out for cats. She tries to chase any cat she sees.

[quote name='ESSlover']Or get a Russian Blue. Sheesh, Nikki is freakin insane. She begs, eats everything, cuddles with you, runs to the fridge when its open, plays with tennis balls.. goodness gracious.[/quote]

Second the Russian Blue comment! Mischa is a little lapdog disguised as a cat.

The cats and the dog don't live together and will never do so- cats live with me at mum's, bk lives at dad's. I have seen BK around cats though- he herds them and gets all excited but on his own I don't think he'd actually have a go at attacking one. The cats vary in their reactions to dogs (as observed with my sister's dog): Ferdy has Lizie wrapped around his paw (she is scared of him); Bella is ok but doesn't like it when Lizie follows her, so she runs to get away from her and then Lizie runs too and it gets a little stressful; Mischa hates dogs with a passion (she may have had a bad experience with them in her brief sojourn as a stray).

Not at all :oops: Haley would really like to eat both our cats, and one (who would've make quick work of her in his younger days) is too old to be defending himself, the other wasn't raised around dogs and is still uncertain enough that she'd be an easy target even if we were to try and introduce them. I'd trust her with them as far as I could throw her... which isn't very :lol: . Goo used to be great with the older cat, but since we were running a segregated household with the cat completely downstairs except for visits upstairs, she's not as tolerant of him as in the past, and I've caught her making wierd faces at him a couple times, enough that I wouldn't trust them alone. She'd really like to eat the younger cat (recent addition), when that cat is out, she's on leash or laying on her bed right beside me. The little dogs have all been beaten thoroughly into submission by the older cat, and though they may aggravate the younger one a bit, they know what'll happen if they push the issue :lol:

I like petting the cats out at the barn. They're all very friendly. And Jackie has a very healthy respect for cats. She was probably nailed by one before I got her. Jackie never chases the cats out at the barn, but if one got in her yard, I'm sure she would kill it.

My cats are faster, meaner and smarter than my dogs plus no matter how much the dogs never touch them, they never quite trust them.

The cats have several safety zones in the house and they never have to go through an unsafe zone to get to food, litter or water.

I trust the animals and the situation combined enough not to be worried. If the cats or dogs become seniors and/or are in poor health I would probably see that they couldn't bother each other throughout the day.

Frankly, I'm more worried that Mroo will take out one of the boys eyes rather than the boys hurting her.

Guest Anonymous
I have 6 cats even though only 4 live with me right now (hubby has the other 2).

I trust them out with the dogs all the time. Now when I'm not home Belle and Mac are crated but not because of the cats. Actually as I type this there are 3 cats and 4 dogs in my bed....all curled up together. I've come home from work to see the same thing.

Now when I was fostering dogs. NO WAY NO HOW! The fosters were crated and the cats were locked in my bed room in case of a cage break. None of my fosters were aggressive with the cats when I was home but you never know.