Dogomania
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

How many?

actually, no one. I wouldnt put anyone through putting up with my hounds fear issues, and my labs "eccentricies", plus I have two cats as well.

if they came here to watch them, they'd have to put up with my son and a gazillion gearhead boys, and if I took them there, I couldnt trust Free to not get aggressive with their dogs. she has attitude with a capitol "A"...

I have an excellent boarding kennel near here, where they can share a huge cage and be seperated from the other animals as well. Both of them like it there.

[quote]Now the questions are this? Would you accept the responsibility to watch my dog or anyone else's from here? Im saying if you had no excuses as far as room, your dogs or animals not getting along or whatever. Just the fact of taking on the responsibility, would you do it or would it have to be a member that you know really well?

Also, out of curiosity, would you be more inclined to loan a member from here your car, or let them watch your dog?
[/quote]

if I didnt have any pets, or if your dog would not mind being crated while I am gone, I would watch him. I am not afraid of dog aggressive dogs, or people aggressive ones either.I have "broken" many a dog who got to big for his owners britches over the years. including one of my own, from whom I learned the value of pack rules and a rod leash, for control.

as far as my car? the only person who ever asked to use it was my son, and thats only because his was out of commision at the time. its a new beetle, and its a stick. he hates it, says its a girl car....but the majority of women I know dont drive a stick, at least not around here, and the guys dont want to borrow it....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='BuddysMom'][quote name='Alan']Would the answer depend on the person, meaning you would let one person watch your dog but not drive your car?[/quote]

I would let ESS watch my dog but not drive my car! :lol:[/quote]

Three more years baby.. three more years. :evilbat: :lol: :lol:

Seeing as how I dont have a car, I'll skip that question. :P

I think I could trust a lot of people here to watch Kat for me, but based on the other persons lifestyle I would narrow things down a bit. I dont think Kat would do could with anyone who has a man in the family or kids. She would do best in a home with no more than 1, maybe 2, other dogs. So its not as much of a matter of who I trust... its more about what situation would be most comfortable with Kat. :wink: So while I trust about 10 people, probably less than 5 would be a good place for my baby.

Id love to watch someone from Dogo's doggie(s). Of course Id be a bit worried that something would go wrong and it would ruin a friendship... I dont know what would happen since Id be watching the dog 24/7 but it still worries me. I think Id be good with just about anyones dog since I handle all types of personalities at Straydog and Doggie Kamp. Oh and I dont have a car so I cant answer the other question. :P

Guest Anonymous
The 4 I have here with me are so easy that most people could watch them with out issue. Bobbie on the other hand would have to have someone she was comfortable with because she is a pain in the butt with strangers.

As for watching other people's dogs...bring them on. i've had dog aggressive dogs here, dogs with severe malnutrition, dogs with severe separation anxiety, you name it I've probably had one of them here either as fosters or just baby sitting. Would I want to do it for more than a couple of days...HECK NO! I like my perfectly normal (HA) crew that I have now. They are easy!

Like DrJeff, I'd have to go with no one for all 5 :-? not you guys, it's the dogs...

Individually, and with the original "not ever having met the dogs in person" stipulations:
Goo, pit bull-0
Haley, pit bull- 5 or so people
Annie, Dachshund-0
Casey, Cocker Spaniel- probably 90% of the regular posters
Joey, Chi- like Casey, but remove any men, since he can be more timid with them

I'm absolutely neurotic about who I'd allow to take care of my dogs while I'm not present, mainly because of Goo's temperament problems (she's afraid of strangers, and extremely dog aggressive outside of our house as well), but the other dogs also have issues that would need special attention as well. Goo must be walked on leash and ONLY in our yard by someone strong enough to control her and get her safely back in the house if another dog approaches and causes problems, plus they'd have to know her well and have spent plenty of time with her beforehand for me to see them interacting and feel comfortable leaving her with them. She's also a collar slipper, so they have to use her no slip collar to take her out and remember to take it off when they bring her back in. She only eats once a day, but she gets a bunch of supplements, which I keep in a pill case for easy dispensal, but I still go over the instructions for each and give a printed copy just in case. Haley has diabetes, so she's got to eat 3 scheduled times a day, plus get two scheduled shots (one with the morning feeding, one with the evening), something not everyone can or will do. She's not much problem to walk, she is dog aggressive, but she's pretty easily controlled and redirected in most cases. Also, since they have gotten into a few scraps, I do not trust anyone outside of my immediate family to have them out together, so whoever comes must also rotate them to feed and take out, plus switch them up before leaving so each gets time loose in the house, checking all the gates/doors before they go. Annie is less trouble than the others, but she also gets supplements with her food, and can be an escape artist, so she absolutely cannot be left alone in one of the fenced areas outside (neither can Goo or Haley) for any amount of time. She's also dog aggressive and would likely bite someone coming into the house if she didn't know them, so she'd have to know the person beforehand. Casey and Joey are both pretty easy dogs, and would be fine with just about anyone. Even with all that, anyone watching them gets primed for about a week prior to us leaving (complete with calls at any point I remember some trivial thing I may have forgotten that I think they need to know), a list (last time it was like 3 pages :lol: ) of instructions just in case they forget anything, another list of phone numbers to reach us or nearby family members in case of emergency, and has to deal with my nearly hourly, "were you down to check the dogs, how did it go!? You didn't forget this or this or this...etc, did you!?!?!?" calls for the duration of the trip, which I hear is actually more difficult than actually taking care of the dogs.

Because of this, we have exactly 1 (yeah, one :-? ) person outside of our family that we trust enough to have watch the dogs for us, and she recently moved out of the area.... good thing we don't take many group vacations :roll: :lol: .

:x Absolutely NO one drives my truck.....sorry. :lol:

I would watch anyones dogs at their house. I wouldn't bring them into my house because my 3 have a pack and I don't know how they would be with me bringing in a *strange* dog. :wink:

Same with my grrlz, I'd have to have the person come to my house to care for them. I think most of the people on this forum are HUGE dog lovers and responsible, I think they'd do a good job. (and I pay well :evilbat: ) :lol:

[quote]Haley has diabetes, so she's got to eat 3 scheduled times a day, plus get two scheduled shots (one with the morning feeding, one with the evening), something not everyone can or will do.[/quote]

oh I could do Haley....I already have the syringes and all! :lol:

giving shots and taking blood sugar is a no-brainer for me, as you know....

8)

[quote name='"drjeffrock"']LOL, maybe its just my big ego, but I think I could handle most peoples "special needs" dogs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
quote]

Indy is dog aggressive and can be quite dominant if he thinks he can get away with it.

He respons very well to people with strong personalities.

I think somone like yourself, DO, Courtnek could handle him.

The people who I wouldn't let look after him are the ones that think all dogs should be able to get along and if not locked away and never taken anywhere.

[quote name='drjeffrock']LOL, maybe its just my big ego, but I think I could handle most peoples "special needs" dogs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops: Anyone else feel this way?[/quote]

back the pinch collar truck up ceasar jr -- first you say nobody is good enough to handle your special needs dogs and then you hit us with you could handle most special needs dogs! i actually found this a little insulting (sniffle) quite a few of us have 'special needs dogs' which simply by experience makes us better equipped at handling other dogs special or no!

here is the real question for your big (scratch that ENORMOUS) ego -- could you handle my special needs dog using only my tools? i doubt it :wink:

[quote name='rotten_two'][quote name='drjeffrock']LOL, maybe its just my big ego, but I think I could handle most peoples "special needs" dogs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops: Anyone else feel this way?[/quote]

back the pinch collar truck up ceasar jr -- first you say nobody is good enough to handle your special needs dogs and then you hit us with you could handle most special needs dogs! i actually found this a little insulting (sniffle) quite a few of us have 'special needs dogs' which simply by experience makes us better equipped at handling other dogs special or no!

here is the real question for your big (scratch that ENORMOUS) ego -- could you handle my special needs dog using only my tools? i doubt it :wink:[/quote]
I would never put a pinch collar on any "special needs" dog. If a dog is aggro or neurotic or whatever, pinch collar is out of the question. But I have been around plenty of special needs dogs in my day. And I do apologize, I certainly didnt mean to insult anyone or their pooches.
R2, I dont know if I could handle your dogs with your methods, as i dont even know what they are (clicker and purely positive?) My methods for training depend on the dog. I dont believe in a one type of training fits all. The flip side could be argued that I dont think you could handle my dogs with a clicker and giving them treats, etc. Too bad we will never know, it would certainly make an interesting experiment. Instead of Wifeswap, we should start a show called Dog Swap! (If anyone steals my idea I am going to sue you for all your millions!) :wink:

hey i know i remember a post where you say you walk dex or kira (or both) on a pinch -- one of our past ceasar convos. maybe you are saying you don't feel dex/kira are special needs?

as for my methods no one thing works for every dog this is true but in the majority of cases i use positive clicker methods with great success. do i think i can save the world with my clicker and some chicken? fuck no! but i cringe when i see people nag and drag a dog on a choke or pinch collar. there is a more humane way.

i certainly couldn't use your methods on your dogs. does ceasar ever do cc&d or any kind of behavior mod besides flooding? i would take some work for me with dex/kira ok a lot of work but i would try it!

I walked Dex on a pinch collar for a while, but I changed back to the choke chain (due to dog aggression.) Kira is not a special needs dog, unless you consider her need to eat crabs as a special need. :lol:
Dex on the other hand certainly is a special-needs dog (aggression, dominance, etc.)
If someone is dragging and choking a dog with a choke chain, they are not using it properly. I'll even argue that its worse to let a nylon collar jam into your dogs trachea and throat than to use a properly fitted choker. But as usual, we will have to agree to disagree. :wink:
I dont know if Cesar does cc&d. But I do know that Cesar takes the "worst of the worst" on and has fantastic results (i.e. the dog becomes a normal part of the family and doesnt try to bite every family member, or whatever the case is.)
People go to Cesar after they go to all the other "expert" dog trainers like Shelby Marlow, etc, (Notice I use quotes on experts.) :wink:
When you bring your dog to Cesar, its cause every other method has been tried with no success. Like I have said before, the proof is in the pudding. I go to his warehouse and see what he does with dogs. ALL of the dogs there are happy, in shape, and know their roles in the pack.

Just curiosity: Anybody here who trains their dog using the "Animal Learn" method? (Ian Dunbar; Jean Donaldson; Turid Rugaas; Karen Pryor) :wink: Works with ALL dogs - even the "macho" ones. :lol: