Dogomania

they know...

courtnek

my hound is a wimp. afraid of everything. My Lab X is exactly the opposite, wants to take everything on...

Lab barks, I think "someone is walking by the house, no worries..."

hound doesnt bark,bays when lab starts.

cats dont react at all...

tonight, the hound is barking, before the bay. the lab is growling. the young cat is mewing his fool head off.

I pay attention to these things. went out, armed....and there is a man walking a fullblooded wolf outside, on a leash. I stopped him and talked to him. he's had this wolf since a puppy, got him in Alaska. they are illegal here, I tell him this. he knows, he is visiting his parents, and going back soon to Alaska. what he said to me?

"dogs are the ancestors of "Buddy"...they have the same instincts, only modified and watered down due to domestication. yours are all in an uproar now. there is no trouble here, no problem, but they smell/sense an "intruder"..even tho the intruder is an ancestor...as you said, even your cat is in an uproar..they sense and smell a predator, they are warning you as pack lead. apparently you are a good pack lead, since they brought this to your attention. keep it up. they KNOW...we dont..."

he let me pet Buddy, who was very tolerant, but not friendly by any means. no tail wagging, no ears up, just stood there and waited. In case I did something bad to Jamey....(owners name)

to me, this consolidates my belief that dogs really do still have their pack instincts, and will respond to being trained by them...

You're pretty brave. I'd never walk up to a wild animal. I think I'd be more trustworthly of an elephant then a wolf, but hey that's me.

I personally don't think anyone should own wolves as a pet. Especially in a neighborhood area. That's just me.-- Last year they ate 2 dogs around my parents area. One was a St Benard on his owners porch. I think it was probably wildanimals people let lose though.

My lab is afraid of everything in the house - - but outside he's fearless. lol. Yeah I think they do still origionally have the pack behaivor. Back home. My dad is the alpha and my dog praises him... Very much like a pack behaivor. Smoke really only likes me, my mom, dad and brother.

And he's right about the wolves. Dogs are basically just domesicated wolves, in my opinion anyways. Because they produce fertile offspring and share over 98% of the same DNA. I assume wolves are a little different because of their wild nature. I'd love to study it more though.

[quote name='Alan']You said he was tolerent about being peted and didnt show a lot of doggy type emotion. Wouldnt that be normal? I dont know, but I cant picture a wolf being happy. I also wonder if they bond with humans, even though they may have different ways of showing emotion.[/quote]

Alan, go over to "Debates", this very subject was hashed out over there, got a bit heated if I remember right...... :wink:

I will have to go read debates. I was thinking he had bonded with Jamey,but to no one else. But I remember seeing a special on a couple that had bonded with a whole pack, that were on a reserved land for them, and then suddenly they had to be moved. these people spent months with them, winning their trust and watching the pups grow up.
they were allowed to walk right in the middle of the pack. then the time came to move them, they were tranquilized and driven to the new location (an indian reserve. the indians believed that having wolves there would bring them good luck) and realeased. the people came back a year later to check on them, with long distance telephoto lenses so as not to disturb them, but the pack seemed to recognize them and welcomed them back in.