Dogomania

Black dog turning red?!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

HELP! Bobbie is turning Red. I noticed it before J left for IL with her. She is strickly an inside dog who gets brushed at least every other day.

Anyone know why a dog would turn red like this? It's not all over just mostly on her rump. Is there a shampoo I can buy that will turn her black again? I did shave here down to about 1/2 inch over the summer but it is finally growing back.

It's normal, coat color can change with age, elements, etc. I think there are groomer shampoos made for show dogs that enhance coat color, but I'm not sure if they make it for black dogs :hmmmm: .

Found it!

[url]http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2363&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=245&iSubSubCat=248&iProductID=2363[/url]

Tammy, is the red part of the coat also kind of frazzly looking... maybe a bit scraggly? See if you can get him to grab just a wee bit of the red looking coat by the ends (JUST the red!) and pull it. Sometimes dogs have a bit of blown coat that doesn't really leave the dog without a little help and it's often reddish looking. If it's just blown coat that needs to be pulled away, it can be stripped off by hand, a little at a time, by just plucking it. It shouldn't hurt a bit if (again) it's just dead coat that needs to come out. I do it all the time, especially with terriers or other double coated dogs. The trick is to be sure you're only pulling the dead coat. Pulling anything else would be painful like pulling your own hair. You can usually do it pretty quickly once you get the hang of it. If she's obviously distressed or in pain if he tries to do it, well, then tell him to stop. :P

Can he send you a picture that you can post?

Guest Anonymous

Thanks HF I'll tell him to pluck her :-) I'm mailing his camera to him his week so maybe he will get me a picture. I'll ask him to try since he logged on. Is there a special brush (he likes the slicker brush for her longer coat) that maybe will help?

Lolipop....the dog in my avatar is a girl named Prissy. I haven't the heart to take her off even though she is no longer with me. She is a black Pit Bull who was wet when this picture was taken but she was always of a thinner coat in the summer. I really do wish this were the girl with the redding issue....however she never had that problem. She was always nice black and shiny.