Dogomania

Thats a crossbreed isn't it?

imported_Kat

I was in Jolleyes tonight with Kes getting her a dish to attach to the travelling crate and this woman comes up starting to stroke Kes and telling me about her Border collie cross. She was saying awww shes just adorable and Kes of course was lapping all this up and giving her paw which she only learnt to do a few days ago and now won't stop doing! :roll: Anyhow this woman then says "shes a crossbreed collie isn't she"? and I'm like :o with my friends who work there sniggering because they knew I didn't like hearing that. I was about to tell her no and there was a farmer guy behind and he spoke up and said "Thats no cross bred colliie, that there dog looks like shes from working sheepdog lines and well bred. I'd have her on my farm any day with a strong eye like that she would be working my sheep up over the hills". I said to the woman, hes right and then had a 3 way conversation with them both and told them that she is indeed bred from working lines and I mentioned her breeder which the farmer knew and I told him she was ISDS registered.

Then we had a bit of a discussion about the show line BC's and the proper working BC's and I told her the differences. She then asked me did I train her for sheep and I went into how I'm a canine behaviourist and she said then about wanting her dog to learn obedience. I had to tell her I'm leaving next week and I'm not taking on any more dogs between now and when I leave (I'm booked up with dogs until the day before I go!), so I gave her the name of my old dog training club and she was on her way.

There ends our trip to the pet shop of which Miss Kessandra (Mum calls her that) got rather spoiled with the staff giving her hum nums :wink:

[quote name='BuddysMom']Pics of Kes so we can see what she looks like now?!

I imagine she may be in a lanky "teenage" stage so the untrained eye would not see the whole picture? Just a guess.[/quote]

That and most people are used to the "show dog look" instead of the proper one. :roll: Thats a big pet peeve of mine... Im not sure why though.

[quote name='__crazy_canine__'][quote name='BuddysMom']Pics of Kes so we can see what she looks like now?!

I imagine she may be in a lanky "teenage" stage so the untrained eye would not see the whole picture? Just a guess.[/quote]

That and most people are used to the "show dog look" instead of the proper one. :roll: Thats a big pet peeve of mine... Im not sure why though.[/quote]

Understandable. I was just thinking of how my friend's incredibly well bred Arabian horses look "perfect" to outsiders when they are either 1-6 months or after about 18 months, but in that 6-18 month adolescent stage most people think they look rather goofy.

the thing I find amazing about this...we are allvery "into" our chosen breeds, most of us could say we know what characteristics the breed(s) are known for, what a mix of those breeds might produce, both looks and personality wise....

yet this old farmer took ONE look at Kes, and said she has the eye (the determined "eye" that BC's are known for, the sheep herders "eye' that stops the sheep in their tracks and makes them go where the DOG wants them to go, even though there are more sheep than dog) and determined HE would have have Kes working his sheep...why? BECAUSE he has sheep, and knows a good working dog, by the stance, by the attitude (a good sheep dog is not fearing of the sheep, or the shepherd, or pretty much anything else, but is obedient none the less. many people mistake fear for obedience) even the tail is a giveaway...I am not as familiar with BC's as I am with Labs and Goldens, but I could choose a good hunter, pet or service dog from knowledge of the neccesities of all the above.

I think they should bring hunters, sheep farmers, police, and military in to judge the dogs at dog shows. I firmly, and have ALWAYS believed that a show dog should NOT win unless it could do what it was bred for. originally. I think if that was a given, there would be less devotion to pomp and circumstance, looks, all that crap, and more attention given to the dogs ability to do its job, and be beautiful at the same time.

just my take.

[quote name='courtnek']
I think they should bring hunters, sheep farmers, police, and military in to judge the dogs at dog shows. I firmly, and have ALWAYS believed that a show dog should NOT win unless it could do what it was bred for. originally. I think if that was a given, there would be less devotion to pomp and circumstance, looks, all that crap, and more attention given to the dogs ability to do its job, and be beautiful at the same time.
[/quote]

I'm sure it'll never happen, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it did?

Funnily enough Court with you mentioning Labs it sparked off a convo that I had with a guy who lives a few fields over from me. He shoots with his labs and has 3 of them, but he also shows. He was telling me that one of his bitches was mated 4 weeks ago to another stocky gundog type lab, but that he had some show people approach him asking if he wanted to use their dogs, which he declined because he likes the old type. he has a line of labradors that was started back in the 1800's of which his father and his grandfather bred dogs from, and I think its just wonderful because now his son has a bitch and is learning from his father so that he too can carry on the name.

I definitely do think that the older style Labs and also most of the older style dogs are much better than what we have today. In the future when I am getting another BC years down the line, I will come back to Ireland or Scotland and I'll get a BC from there. The farmers in my opinion don't need to use genetic tests with the exception of CEA and PRA to register a dog with the ISDS . They just know how to breed a darn good healthy dog, and their eye for selection in my opinion outshines any sort of modern breeding done today.

I also think that dog show judges should be people who actually work with the breed as it was intended, after all if a show is an exposition of breeding stock, they would know best what to look for.

Yeah, my eyes just about bugged out of my head when he said my lovely purebred Pyr looked like a Labradoodle! I was not very kind in my reply...

well i had story like that too
i working with two amazing GSD shwoing line both of them. well the female was imported from holan years ago shes intr ch, germany ch and hollan ch, she also has IPO1 ans many other nice scores id shwos.
well one time whill we were walking one man come to as and started to get excited about Rivana this femaily, told me how beatifull she and blah blah blah and then after some thought he asked " but she has weired ears is she a mutt " and i'm all like that :o and :eek2:

there other time my friend keept a GSD male puppy, the most amazing dog ever, this small guy toke the best puppy in his first show when he was only 3 months old :D
one of the friends of this man sew this puppy one day and said " what a beatifull dog, shame he's not purebred " :o this unpure boy was sold to Argentina ( sp ) when he was 6 months old for 50000$ as future stud :lol:

[quote name='Jaci']All horse breeds are like that. It brings me back to the Black Stallion books, I can't remember which one, where Alec (see where my Alec got his name?) had a colt who was "just in that stage where he was perfectly balanced. In another month, he'd be gangly and leggy again before he matured".

I *heart* the black stallion books.[/quote]

Jaci I'm with you ... I have probably read all of them 3 times! :oops: