Dogomania

Spooked Easy?

Ash

Does your dog get spooked easy?? Like thunder or just loud noises or things in general?

Smokie is afraid of more stuff then average I think. He's deathy afraid of thunder, and loud noises that sound like thunder. Once a guy came to repair the roof and Smoke probably thought it was thunder and jumped in the shower with my little cousin Cassie and wouldn't get out. Ofcourse my mom was laughing too hard, to get him out to make things worse.

He's afraid of the bass fish too that sings. I think the moose one they came out with would seriously give him a heart attack. The kitchen magnet is a play payphone that rings, and he's afraid of it. He's really just afraid of lot of things, it seems unusual, because outside he is the big protector - and fearless.

One time, shortly after I got Jackie, my sister and I were going to watch "Jurassic Park." I put the tape in, and I turned the volume way up because I thought the volume had been turned down. Well, the first sound was a REAL loud impact tremor, and Jackie, who had been lying down, leapt up in the air. Poor girl. I didn't mean to scare her, but it was funny.

Ohh I could see how my mom finds humour in it. Hmm, I wonder- what kinds of things do you do to keep your dog ok?

Usually when I'm home I keep telling him it's OK and play with him- and just snuggle with him. My parents are the opposites though- they get more annoyed by him most of the time but he sticks close with them. He isn't allowed on their bed but my mom will wake up next to him when it's storming lol.

I just read that constantly talking to him and reasuring him it was okay was a bad thing to do though. Usually he finds safety in the bathtub- so he usually likes to stay there. .

He doesn't take any food at all. which is unusal for him. But he will usually play most of the time.

He shakes really bad when it's storming so that's his usual behavor. I would love to hear any suggestions/commets you have. He has always been like this - and he's 10 this month. We've had him since he's been around 1/1/2.

there are lots of things you can do to desensitize your dog to thunder or loud noises. buy a thunder sounds cd and play it very low volume. chicken chicken chicken for calm behavior. do that every night for a week and if he stays calm the next week volume up one level start again.

if it actually storms let him get in the bathtub for goodness sake. if he feels safe there fine. what's the harm? soothing him during a storm especially if he is aroused/stressed actually encourages the stressed behavior. walk by the bathroom once in a while and throw a piece of chicken to him and then leave.

i have heard but not tried peppermint oil on the paw pads is supposed to help too. you could try any number of the natural remedies for stress (rescue remedy etc).

[quote name='rotten_two']there are lots of things you can do to desensitize your dog to thunder or loud noises. buy a thunder sounds cd and play it very low volume. chicken chicken chicken for calm behavior. do that every night for a week and if he stays calm the next week volume up one level start again.

if it actually storms let him get in the bathtub for goodness sake. if he feels safe there fine. what's the harm? soothing him during a storm especially if he is aroused/stressed actually encourages the stressed behavior. walk by the bathroom once in a while and throw a piece of chicken to him and then leave.

i have heard but not tried peppermint oil on the paw pads is supposed to help too. you could try any number of the natural remedies for stress (rescue remedy etc).[/quote]

I will have to do that. I always see CDs like that at shopko. Thanks for the advice, I'll even try the peppermint oil too. Storm seasons over though. Oh trust me- he does stay in the bathtub. He wouldn't leave if you tried to make him leave when it's storming..

I feel bad now because I was doing the wrong thing but I'll defiently not try to sooth him- I could see how that could encourage that behavor.

Thanks so much for the advice. I just got to figure out where to get peppermint oil now? .