Dogomania

Peaches is a mother! Pictures!

Horsefeathers!

Celebrate with me! :-?
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YgDlApEfi0iTlppwtYTJ2IQq!fORxOiDup3bt5CF7VnM6mA1Awp0jDfwt1uojDx20NWEutEuIpNN!cV1d7cRJxgNxXeMMxfSUQJgAtmVTHfBa*ITPzEVwn29J0f*AEqgimWJ7eoD4Qjx7Id7G97o5A/Peaches%20baby.jpg?dc=4675546429718873381[/img]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZwD7Apsg6t6TlppwtYTJ2IQq!fORxOiDeLC5KoGXNEmSGvsZEmKG*hlhKJjBGx43hjbB77rVRRYd5*rpzwsJ26d364OgcuiOiL79e2IUP3QOja7TcHUqDsB1SlUS*hVAs9wMQTnTf4Ok8fiBT0yJxw/Peaches%20baby1.jpg?dc=4675546429800000541[/img]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZwD7ApwgQd!TlppwtYTJ2IQq!fORxOiD00Gs!SAyeAI34rYOTFnHYHD1MrYEJJ0HBm9aZOoHWuf05qjZQiQBq5zPPo71bS3qOQM1OScl9gyWt3jEjk7S87rJvgGvo0PwHeiezMC*uJhr6YNJKe3GpA/Peaches%20baby2.jpg?dc=4675546429847324717[/img]

That is Peaches and her baby. She is totally fixated on that dollar stuffy squeaky bone. Any other toy is quickly annihilated, but she actually stresses over this thing. She knows she can't take it outside (because we'll never see it again), so she'll actually bring it to me to hold when she goes outside, and comes right back inside looking for it. This is one thing I try to keep solely for her as long as she doesn't start aggressively guarding it, so I try hard to keep the other dogs away from it, or it will end up as fluff all over the floor. If it's put up, Peaches will actually stress and whine until I go get it. She'll pace and fuss and poke me in the arm until I magically produce it from somewhere. She's like a mama dog looking for her puppies, all in a frenzy.

So what's up with that? She has never cared for ANY other toy, other than the joy of disemboweling them. She treats this thing like it's a baby. She's just as gentle with it as she can be, she sleeps with it, and she carries it around tenderly. We call it her baby and she's learned what "baby" means (in relation to that toy).

Anyone else have dogs that have taken an inanimate object to raise? I seriously wonder what the significance of it is?

Mei, she'll give me the toy willingly. I don't allow the other dogs to handle that particular toy, but Peaches is also not allowed to show ANY sort of aggressive guarding... no growling, lip lifting, raised hackles, none of that. She doesn't have a problem giving it to me, though she will not let it out of her sight.

I just can't figure out WHY she's so fixated on it. I could just take it from her (out of sight, out of mind), I suppose, but I don't know if I need to. So far, it seems harmless enough... just really weird. :-?

Mei, no problem. Any time someone sees something in a post of mine, and they think they have suggestions, I'm certainly open to hearing them whether I ask for them or not. :wink:

Edited to add:
Since when have we at Dogo ever waited for someone to actually ASK for suggestions before offering them? :P

anything unusal happen before the introduction of "little yellow?" has Peaches seemed needy, in some way? or felt at odds or rejected by the other pack members?

sometimes they take on a special toy when they want to feel special themselves...like a mom dog would with a litter...it gives them a feeling of security. did something happen to Peaches to make her feel less secure? just a thought HF...

Guest Anonymous

I have a dog that sleeps with one of those red Kong balls in his mouth. He plays with it constantly but if the weather is bad, rain or snow, he puts it in his house.
Those pics are SO cute :D .

My grandmother once told me about a dog they had taken in that had just had puppies but the pups were taken away. I am not sure what the story was but my grandma said this dog was so distraught and when given a stuffed toy she carried it around like it was her pup for years. Now Peaches didn't just have a litter so that can't be why she is doing this now. It could simply be that she just really loves her new toy and feels that there has never been a better toy ever. :lol:

That's so cute!

One time my sister-in-law gave Jackie a stuffed bunny. Jackie immediately ripped off the ears and the tail, and THEN it was her baby. She would sleep with it, she would clean it, she just loved it! Jackie loves stuffed toys, but Maya and Pooh Bear destroy them, so Jackie doesn't get to have stuffed toys any more.

Hehehe...I love the first picture of Peaches with her "baby". She looks positively matronly. :lol:

Neither of my boys are fixated on toys. When I first met my husband he had a lab/chow mix named Bear. Bear NEVER played with toys. My sister brought over a rubber squeaky dumbell toy for him and Mark said, "He won't like that - Bear doesn't like toys."

Hehehe! When Bear set eyes on that toy, he was in love! He would take it outside, bring it inside. If he forgot it outside he would whine at the door when he realized it was missing. :roll: When he passed away he was buried with it in our back field.

I wish Peaches many happy moments with her child!

Awww those are all cute stories.

I don't have any to share like that. Smokie had a toy puppy he liked for a while.. We'd call it his baby because it was his fav toy (I think cuz it was soft) at least until he ripped the head off (him and my dad playing war)- and the toy had to go in the garbage.