Dogomania

big dog and little dog?

buslady5

Hi, can a little dog (shih-tzu) co-exist with a BIG dog (american mastiff) in the same house?
(sorry if I am repeating myself. I thoght I posted this and Icouldn't find it when I looked, so here it is again)-
I have small 10 week old shih-tzu. I am crate training him. I think he's doing really well. He's a real cutey. Anyway- before "Buddy" came, (he was a surprise gift) we had been put on a list for an American Mastiff. We would very much like to still have one, I just want to be sure that it's ok to have both dogs considering the size difference. The big dog is still months away. Not even born yet. I have been told the Mastiffs are very gentle dogs. Does any one have any experience in this area. I want to make sure the little one is safe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome to Dogo. :D

Small dogs can do great with big dogs. As long as theyre properly introduced and the home has a stable hiearchy. Someone else can probably answer your question better than me. :wink:

....American Mastiff??? :-? Oy... :x Please re-consider getting an [i]American[/i] Mastiff. Whats wrong with the English? Or bullmastiff? Or American bulldog? Or something else from a [i]responsible[/i] breeder? Trust me its not a good idea to buy from a breeder whos breeding dogs and passing them of as a new breed.

I have heard that Mastiffs can be a handfull (times twelve!) And, I don't think there are any "mellow" puppies no matter what the breed. Not that your big one would hurt the other one on purpose necessarily, but it's hard to say if there would be accidents especially with a huge rambunctious pup about.

Curious as to why you are so into purebreds? If you rescued you could be more sure about temprament and you could save a pup that no one else wants ... At any rate, best of luck and welcome to Dogo! :P

size doesnt matter, attitude does. as long as YOU are Top Dog (Alpha) they rest will fall into place on its own. they will follow your lead, and work it out amongst themselves as to who is top dog beneath you. however, it HAS TO BE beneath you...

I have seen little Chi's browbeat Lab's for higher rank. for the most part if you let them work it out on their own, as pack lead, and only intervening if necessary, they will be fine. if they have a recognized Alpha, who will stop needless issues, they will work it out between them.
little dogs CAN rule.

:lol:

yes, this can certainly work, HOWEVER since you will have two males, you MUST be very careful and supervise ALL interactions until both are past adolescence, you are somewhat at a disadvantage here because toy breeds mature quickly and giant breeds often take three or four years. They will challenge each other, and the Shih-Tzu could get seriously hurt. I have an eleven year old Pom and a two year old Pyr (among others!) both females. They were fine until the Pyr hit eight months or so, then she attacked the Pom over rank and seriously hurt her. They can only be loose together outside supervised, so as not to take this chance again. However, our male Pyr and the Pom get along great.
Good luck. :D

I think this can work and I have seen it work. But I also know dogs don't really know what size they are and my puppy likes to play with toy breeds and I need to be careful he doesn't pounce on them in play and hurt them. He play bit a Chihuahua and put the head inside his big mouth at training class! Just be prepared for an extra dose of discipline to stop things that may not be a big deal with a bigger dog and level of play will need to be a lot more controlled. I'm new here but that's my 2 cents...