Dogomania

This is Cynthia from NW Pom Rescue

pomymomy

[quote name='Doberfanatic']So as far as the poms go, how many do we know she went through?

I remember:

Boonie (PTS for HW.... maybe?)
Stryker (loved kids too much)
Moose (she still has this one?)

But there was another, right? Misty? That she traded for Stryker? is that right?[/quote]
I don't know about Misty. She may have been one of the poms she was thinking of adopting(I wander how long that one would have lasted :roll: )

Michele can you post the link here or is it one of those sites only certain people can see?

She did return Missy to us, and got Boonie, who had a major heart murmur, and she took him anyhow.
Stryker was to be Justin's dog, and Moosie was to be a Stryker playmate.
I did all the prerequisite work on this case, and I did my job well. Some people just know all the right words to say, and all the right things to do, and this was the case. That is how "it was allowed to happen".
I am sensitive about this situation because I have a terrible sense of failure with this case. My husband and I do all of this by ourselves and we have been doing it for many years. If you do something long enough, eventually you are going to have mistakes that show up. Unfortunately, in this line of work, the ones that pay are the animals, and that is the worst travesty of all.
Thanks.
Cynthia

Guest Anonymous

Cynthia,

I am sorry you got caught up in this. As someone who has been involved with rescue for about 5 years now I can say that even the best get taken.

I can't believe though that she lied so easily to everyone. Told you that Moose was to be a play mate for Stryker who was already living with someone else.

Is there any clause in your contract that allows for surprise follow ups? If so I'd find a way to do it. I'm sure there are members here on the board in the position to help you do so. When you make your visit ask about Stryker and she will have to tell you SOMETHING. When she has to admit that he doesn't live there (which if your contract is like mine it has a clause about not transfering ownership) you can use that right there to take Moose back.

Me personally I'd contact the MP's and tell them that a contract has been breeched (good thing about the military...all sorts of places to go with potentially negative press) and that you need their assistance getting the animal back. I've done that one before and it worked! If all else fails contact his CO and let him know that they have breeched a contract. The military is FUNNY about these things. Sometimes they are all over helping you out other times it like talking to a brick wall....you get NO where.

Either way look at your contract and contact a lawyer. You could easily be able to pursue the breech of contract clause and get Moose out of there before she does anything to him.

Cynthia, I don’t think anyone here blames you. I think everyone is still trying to get their heads wrapped around the amount of lies that have been told are just trying find out as much info as possible.

I do have a question though. You mentioned above that Boonie had a heart murmur. Naomi told us all that she had have him PTS due to a severe case of heartworm that was untreatable.

There is obviously a big difference between a heart murmur and heart worm. Can you confirm which was the case?

I’m not having a go at you at all – just trying to work out if the circumstances surrounding Boonie being PTS were lies too.

Im sorry you got caught up in Naomi's lies too, Cynthia. :( Im sure you do feel awful but I just dont understand how this could happen....

Dont you make home visits before adoptions? :-? If so, you wouldve seen a drastic change in the animals in the house from the time Boonie was adopted up to the time Moose was adopted. If not, why dont you?

I think you should take Tammys advice. Id really like to see any dogs she currently has get taken away!

Please dont take offense to my post. Im just concerned, as we all are.

CC,

Cynthia is not the enemy here and I don't think you have any right to be so critizing.

Based on Michelle's call to her she has come here to answer any questions we might have. NOT to be insulted, given the third degree or told that she did the wrong thing.

Given your post, I would't be surprised if she pisses off and tells us all to get stuffed.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']Im sorry you got caught up in Naomi's lies too, Cynthia. :( Im sure you do feel awful but I just dont understand how this could happen....

Dont you make home visits before adoptions? :-? If so, you wouldve seen a drastic change in the animals in the house from the time Boonie was adopted up to the time Moose was adopted. If not, why dont you?

I think you should take Tammys advice. Id really like to see any dogs she currently has get taken away!

Please dont take offense to my post. Im just concerned, as we all are.[/quote]

CC- MalaMum is right. Right now I know how Cynthia feels...been there.

I will say that if it's a small group home visits aren't always possible. You have volunteers who work full time, have famlies and still volunteer their homes and time to fostering animals. I was once a part of a group that consisted of 4 foster homes. All of us had young kids, full time jobs and commitments that prevented us from doing anything outside of the home except on the weekends. We did our best, calls to vets, calls to refrences. Heck at one point I was paying for one of those online background check deals. I had my lap top at Petsmart and plugged into a phone line in the office to google names to make sure nothing glaring showed up. BUT all that was done between Noon and 6 pm on Saturdays. Monday through Friday I was working a 60 hour a week job. The others were the same.

I've done home visits and still not found anything wrong yet had animals returned in horrible condition, had them given away.

There are times where the groups best hope is to build a relationship with an adopter and keep them close as friends. I was able to do this with several people to the point that when I left the group they hunted me down because they wanted another dog from me or they had a question about the dog they adopted from me and felt no one else could answer it.

I wish this were a perfect world and rescuers/foster homes had unlimited time and income to do things such as home visits. When I wasn't working full time I strapped AJ in a backpack and went around doing follow up visits. Of course this was just to check to make sure the dogs weren't kept outside without food/water/shelter. If someone was home I'd sit and visit with them but I was doing this during normal working hours because I still had another child at school.

I've only seen one group here that had enough people so that a few weren't carrying the whole load. They had foster homes who sat with their dogs at adoption days, then after talking to potential adopters, they sent them over to the adoption team, who did the application, made a copy and sent the potential adopters, dogs and a member of the home visit team to the home. Not all groups have this ability and I'll be honest being part of a small group is 10 times harder than being a member of a larger group. When I was with the small group I did the website, I went to the shelter, did vet runs, checked and answered the emails. I didn't have time to do much of anything with my family other than the necessities.

I do not ever judge a rescue based on if they do home visits or not. There is SO much more involved. Looking at Cynthia's site it looks like she does some special needs rescues too and I know how difficult those can be.

Of course I can't believe Cynthia is the one that Naomi suggested was a puppy mill.

Agree with Mel et al. CC, just pull your fucking head in for once and try not to be so quick to judge someone who is obviously not to blame here and is doing a fantastic job of helping us sort out this web of deceit. I don't really care if you post a "no offence" disclaimer; "no offence" usually means the exact opposite.

To Cynthia: thank you very much for coming here and trying to assist us in working matters out. :)

Im sorry.... I still dont see anything wrong with what I posted. I just asked a question. I didnt mean for it to be blaming Im just curious. She said she would answer questions... so I asked something.

BK, calm down. :x Again, Im not judging, I just wanted to know if she does home visits.....

Cynthia, Im sorry if you thought I was being critisizing. Im not. I am sincerely sorry that you have to deal with this. Im not trying to put blame on you, I simply want to know if you do home visits. As Tammy explained, I know it cant always prevent these things but I do want to know if you did do a home visit, was there anything suspicious.

[quote name='Michele'][quote name='CincoandDahlilasgirl'][quote name='Doberfanatic']So as far as the poms go, how many do we know she went through?

I remember:

Boonie (PTS for HW.... maybe?)
Stryker (loved kids too much)
Moose (she still has this one?)

But there was another, right? Misty? That she traded for Stryker? is that right?[/quote]
I don't know about Misty. She may have been one of the poms she was thinking of adopting(I wander how long that one would have lasted :roll: )

Michele can you post the link here or is it one of those sites only certain people can see?[/quote]

the National Do Not Adopt Site is:

[url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pnwdna/[/url]

you have to register[/quote]

I registered, it's a pain in the rear, now I have to wait to get approval email.

I'd love to invite Cynthia over o the board I'm on, but it's been indicated that if we post anything regarding the DAK situation, we would be blocked from psoting anything ever again. Too many ruffeled feathers and I think too many people are feeling a bit insecure about themselves due to now finding out that they were buying into her lies.

Over there, Naomi claimed to have Boonie pts due to heart worms, NOTHING about a heart murmor, and Justine surprised her with the dog as a b'day gift from him while he was in Iraq. Yes, she stated that she couldn't afford the treatment for the heartworm, that she first was going to take him on a flight to her folks, but then the vet advised her not to (I think that was the story). Also she said that the vet wasn't sure that the treatments could save him. Having dealt with a dog with congestive heart failure, yeah, it's a royal pain pushing pills and watching activity levels, but highly doable---and I had 4 kids under 10 to take care of!!

Nothing was said about Missy over there. Stryker was given away as she felt so sorry for him as he loved kids and was always looking longingly at the neighbor's children (Thank you, Bailey's Mom, for giving Stryker the loving family he needed and deserved!!!!) and so she got Moose.

I'm curious to hear what Oasis has to say!!! I wonder if they have a "return" policy that she's violated to the extent that they could take her to court over having Cody put down?

Cynthia, thank you for the love you give your fosters!!! I think that some of the problem with CC's post is the way it was worded (made it sound very accusatory rather than a "polite" question.) I just hope you keep doing your fine work and don't let "a bad appple spoil the bunch!!"

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']BK, calm down. :x Again, Im not judging, I just wanted to know if she does home visits.....
[/quote]

Well, maybe it's time to think about wording your posts more carefully. You could have just asked straight out about home visits with none of the judgmental crap and "suspicious" emoticon.

Thank you to all involved in this situation. Again, Michele, if there is anything I can do, let me know.

[color=indigo][/color][size=18][/size] Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. At the time that I was working with her and him, I found them to have all the right answers, to look lovingly at each other, and to genuinely seem enthralled with the pom; that is why we did exchanges and addtions. We normally do home visits, but she was too far away from us and I could not find someone in her locality to do a home visit for us. As I said, they represented themselves very well.
Boonie had a heart murmur, and she was aware of it. We corresponded about it for a few weeks until he settled in and lost some weight and her vet was happy with him on his new regime. I had warned her of his murmur due to not being able to be given an injectable anasthetic for surgery (like a dental).
We all have done the best we could given the circumstances. Our website explains how we operate. [url]www.nwpomrescue.com[/url] We are very humbled by this journey we are on of working with rescue dogs and blessed to be in a situation that allows us the freedom to continue to do so. And we will. We have made differences in the lives of many people and dogs over all these years, and met some truly remarkable people. The yang to that ying is that we have met some people that we were glad to walk away from as well. But the main point is that we have met so many wonderful people and we are dedicated enough to continue our work in our little corner of the world the best that we can. We can't save them all so we save all we can.

Thanks so much for you time Cynthia. Don't let being taken in by Naomi discourage you. You sound like you do a fantastic job!

I'm being pesty and have another question though. :lol: You mention "they", did both Naomi and Justin come to see you?

My understanding is that Justin was away in Iraq when these aqusitions of new dogs took place. If I'm correct, then I'm curious as to who she bought with her??????

has anyone contacted Petfinder about putting out a DNA? they have probably the largest online database of adoptable pets there is...

if no one else has, I am a member and could try to do it. their forum is not always the nicest, but in this case I think they'd stand behind me...

You mention "they", did both Naomi and Justin come to see you?
My understanding is that Justin was away in Iraq when these aqusitions of new dogs took place. If I'm correct, then I'm curious as to who she bought with her??????[/quote]

Actually, the first time, they both came. I was impressed with them both. She came alone one one visit and with a friend on another.

Thanks.
Cynthia

Thanks Baileysmom. I was getting the timing confused. Wow, has it really been a year since she got Boonie it doesn’t feel like that long ago.

Do you know anything about the circumstances surrounding Boonie being PTS? Cynthia has told us that the poor little mite had a heart murmur but Naomi told us he had untreatable heartworm.