Dogomania
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Question for K or anyone who knows about English Bulldogs

I have a friend who wants to sell an English Bulldog that belongs to his girlfriend. She paid $1.500 for the dog. The dog is 4 years old. I have another friend who wants to buy it. He will only give $300. do to the dogs age. The dogs owners vet says the dog is in his prime at 4 years old and he wants at least $800.00 for the dog.

The questions I have are

What is a fair price for an English Bulldog who is 4 years old?

How old do they normaly live to be?

I was under the impression, that if you own one, you may as well plan on spending a lot of money in vet bills as they get older because they have a lot of health issues. Is this not right?

Look at this English Bulldog (that I posted in the Dogs in Need board) who's looking for a home in California. Who says you have to pay hundreds of dollars for an English Bulldog? This is his Petfinder.com page.
[url]http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5142367[/url]
[img]http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/CA954/CA954.5142367-1-x.jpg[/img]
[img]http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/CA954/CA954.5142367-3-x.jpg[/img]

so alan lemme get this straight you want to know what is the 'depreciated' value of a 4 year old english bulldog? that's just wrong! i don't think i even want to ask why the boyfriend is selling a dog that really belongs to the girlfriend. let my hunny try to sell one of my dogs -- he would die a slow tortured death.

[quote name='rotten_two']so alan lemme get this straight you want to know what is the 'depreciated' value of a 4 year old english bulldog? that's just wrong! i don't think i even want to ask why the boyfriend is selling a dog that really belongs to the girlfriend. let my hunny try to sell one of my dogs -- he would die a slow tortured death.[/quote]

Got that right :evilbat: !!!! My hubby knows if he did [b]anything[/b] to my babes.....he'd be at the very least in divorce court....... :x

Almost sounds like the boyfriend is selling the dog out from under her trying to make a few bucks....... :-?

[quote name='rotten_two']the part that ruffles my hackles is that they are treating it like a used car deal. so what's the blue book value of an english bulldog, 4 years old with 50K miles?[/quote]

Yeah, right !! That guy doesn't care about the dog...... he's just concerned with the selling points to make a few bucks........ :evil:

Alan, I'd be interested to know if the girlfriend knows her dog is going to be sold ??? :-? Or is it going to be one of these......

Girlfriend- "Where's Brutus ?"
Boyfriend- "OH, I'm so sorry, Brutus ran away and I couldn't find him"

:roll: :x

Due to the availability of purebread dogs being adopted for minimal costs at shelters and breed rescues and in the moral interest of treating dogs like companion animals rather than used cars - NO CHARGE.

You got a dog; you got it for life, if something unforseen comes up and you can't manage your responsibilities but you can find an exellent home for them - count yourself lucky.

You just decided you don't feel like having a dog anymore - they don't deserve to profit for being an ass.

You are super in debt and feel that a dog is an asset you can sell off for $300-800 - chances are that amount of money isn't going to make that much of a difference and if the debt is that little why would you sell off a COMPANION, you probably haven't been able to get the dog titled working or show so why is the dog worth any paticular amount of money over the cost of any other purebred for adoption, and again they don't deserve to profit for being an ass.

The girlfriend knows. They recently met and are moving in together. I dont agree with them selling the dog either. I understand what you mean on putting a value on the dog. My own dogs have no value.
I dont see a problem however with the buyer putting a value on a dog. His point is, why pay lots of money for a dog which may have already lived half it's life, when you can get a pup for slightly more. Dogs do have a value, if they arent yours. Dont most people who buy dogs consider the price of a puppy?

[quote name='Alan']The girlfriend knows. They recently met and are moving in together. I dont agree with them selling the dog either. I understand what you mean on putting a value on the dog. [b]My own dogs have no value.[/b]I dont see a problem however with the buyer putting a value on a dog. His point is, why pay lots of money for a dog which may have already lived half it's life, when you can get a pup for slightly more. Dogs do have a value, if they arent yours. Dont most people who buy dogs consider the price of a puppy?[/quote]

Mine do......they're PRICELESS !!!!! :angel:

the problems is this people will soon learn that if you didn't met some sucker who decided to pay for 4 years old dog the price he can get new puppy or free dog from the same breed. if they didn't meat somone like that they will probably or dump him or give him for free.
most of the breeders i know if they can't keep a grown up dog they or give it for low price or will give it free ( unless of course it's some kind of great stud or brod bitch )

It's actualy, my wife's best friend's son who is selling the dog. I agree that once you take on a dog, it is for life unless they are some extreem circumstances such as health problems wich prevent you from fullfilling your commitment.

I also figure, if they want to sell the dog, the dog would be better off anyway. He's probably not getting any attention. My other friend would give the dog a good home. He has an old dog he has had for years. He is his best friend and gets everything! He has just always wanted an English Bulldog.

[quote name='Alan']It's actualy, my wife's best friend's son who is selling the dog. I agree that once you take on a dog, it is for life unless they are some extreem circumstances such as health problems wich prevent you from fullfilling your commitment.

I also figure, if they want to sell the dog, the dog would be better off anyway. He's probably not getting any attention. My other friend would give the dog a good home. He has an old dog he has had for years. He is his best friend and gets everything! He has just always wanted an English Bulldog.[/quote]

In this case the dog would be better off in a *good* home......
:wink:

[quote name='JackieMaya']Look at this English Bulldog (that I posted in the Dogs in Need board) who's looking for a home in California. Who says you have to pay hundreds of dollars for an English Bulldog? This is his Petfinder.com page.
[url]http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5142367[/url]
[img]http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/CA954/CA954.5142367-1-x.jpg[/img]
[img]http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/CA954/CA954.5142367-3-x.jpg[/img][/quote]

BTW, meant to say, that is a great idea. We have looked here before and not been able to find one. The other thing is that he wants to get a dog he can try for a couple days. He isnt sure how his cocker would get along with it. He doesnt want to stress his old dog out, if they dont mesh. If he got one from a shelter, he couldnt don that.

[quote name='JackieMaya']Lots of shelters will give you a one-week or two-week trial period, and if the dog just doesn't work out with your present dogs, then you can return the dog.[/quote]

Ya, I know that is true, but, could you honestly take a dog back to a shelter? It would have to be a no kill shelter. I couldnt take one out, knowing he missed a potential home cause he was with me, then bring him back to be PTS.

I wonder if there is a rescue group her for Englis Bulldogs? I never thought of that.

[quote name='Alan'][quote name='JackieMaya']Lots of shelters will give you a one-week or two-week trial period, and if the dog just doesn't work out with your present dogs, then you can return the dog.[/quote]

Ya, I know that is true, but, could you honestly take a dog back to a shelter? It would have to be a no kill shelter. I couldnt take one out, knowing he missed a potential home cause he was with me, then bring him back to be PTS.

I wonder if there is a rescue group her for Englis Bulldogs? I never thought of that.[/quote]

The shelter I adopted all of my dogs from has all their dogs in foster homes. They stay in the foster homes until they're adopted. And if they're not adopted, they have a home with the fosters.

[quote name='IlBLisSlI']btw that's no english bulldog in that picture. it's a smurfing mutant mix of some sort.

and as far as putting a price on a bulldogs head. i honestly can't see the sense in spending that much on a 4 year old dog. i'm a bulldog owner myself and there is no way i'd pay that much for a dog that wasn't a pup. it's very very easy to find a 4 year old girl on one of the many bulldog rescue sites out there for free / minimal cost. i'd say 300 is the maximum i'd pay, but he'd better have papers.

have your friend look into [url]http://www.rescuebulldogs.org/[/url][/quote]

Thats the answer I was looking for. We said the same thing. Originaly he said make an offer. The buyer and I both thought $300. was a fair price. He does have papers but the seller said he was thinking more like $800. That didnt seem right to me.

Really is that what the 360 is going for?

If we are looking at the buyer's price than yes, I think that he'd be nuts to agree to $800. In fact $300 is more than fair given that most breed rescues will adopt out an adult, on trial if needed, for less than $250 even for one with papers.

I dont know what he wants the money for but IMO he is a WPS. Not only cause of this but a lot of other things. He took off and went to Canada with this girl and left his little boy, with the boys grandmother (his mom). What kinda shit is that? He left the dog there to but he's supposely comming back.