Dogomania

Are american bulldogs hyper?? Just bought one.

colby0528

I just purchased a white american bulldog. Adorable! But I dont think I did my research, because I didn't want a hyper dog and so far he is so laid back and quiet, but from what i'm finding out, are these dogs like rambunctious and hyper and jump on everyone like those pitts?

Please let me know someone! I love the fact that they love children but i would like a dog that will be with us in the house and of course play but not be knocking over my child.

Is it the way I raise him that matters?

[quote]Is it the way I raise him that matters?[/quote]
Mostly.
Sufficient excercise, some common obedience training and manners and you should be fine. I always found it worked better if my pup got exercise just before we did training - wore him out enough that he could concentrate. :D

Guest Anonymous

[quote]but from what i'm finding out, are these dogs like rambunctious and hyper and jump on everyone like those pitts?[/quote]
First off... its pit, one t. Also, you shouldnt have bought a dog if you didnt know what to expect of it. And, finally...."and hyper and jump on everyone like those pitts".... You obviously know nothing about Pit Bulls either. :evil:

Hmmmm - They could have just been referring to the fact that pits are high energy dogs. I think you'd agree that they need lots of excercise, of course American Bulldogs need lots to. Any dog that hasn't finished its manners training and isn't getting enough excercise may jump up on people and be hyper.

you "don't think you did your research" ???? That is a big dog with a lot of stigma attached to it. I certainly hope you do your research now and raise the dog well to be a good example of a bully breed "type", and also so you have a well-behaved companion that is pleasant to be around.
And, well, all puppies can be hyper! :D Stick around and listen to what these folks have to say. Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DogPaddle']Hmmmm - They could have just been referring to the fact that pits are high energy dogs. I think you'd agree that they need lots of excercise, of course American Bulldogs need lots to. Any dog that hasn't finished its manners training and isn't getting enough excercise may jump up on people and be hyper.[/quote]
DP, I agree... Any dog can. I just dont know why so many people use the pit bull for their "examples". And, most of mine are very laid back dogs. Of course they are all bundles of energy.... but laid back. DOes that even make sense?

Absolutely. I can understand your reaction given all that goes on around pits. To tell you the truth when people think that BCs are an unmanagable bundle of obsessive energy I'm pretty happy to let them continue believing that - that way there might be one less unprepared owner. However, with pits you have to fight their image to avoid BSL so its a slightly different storey.

• 2 weeks later...