Dogomania

Less than a day??

StarFox

Today at the shelter we had a black Lab puppy returned. These people picked him up late yesturday afternoon and returned him early this afternoon. They didn't even have him for a full day! :-?

The reason for returning him.... "Jumps on the furnature and kids". It's a 4 month old puppy for christ sakes! Of course he is going to jump all over things. Did these people think that maybe the excitement of being in a new place may have mad the dog a little more hyper? Or that the dog is ONLY 4 moths? Or that Labs are usually high energy dogs? No, of course they didn't think of any of that because that would require using a BRAIN, and they obviouly don't have any! :x

Wow. I'm speechless. I guess its a good thing the dog didn't have more time to bond with them, or the poor pup would be even more traumatized by the abandonment. :( Clearly these people had no clue what they were getting into, and should go back to the drawing board. Perhaps a stuffed animal would be more to their liking. I'm sure they could find a beanie baby to love. :bad-words:

Thank Dog they returned him because they obviously have no clue about dogs, and especially puppies!

Pooh Bear has chewed up a sofa, 4 recliners, 2 rocking chairs, numerous pillows and quilts, a t.v. remote, a candle, and the gel wrist guard for my computer. And you know what? It's no big deal! Sure, I would rather he didn't chew on things, but he's still a puppy (1-1/2) and didn't have any consistent home or training before I adopted him. Pooh Bear's good qualities FAR outweigh the two naughty things he does (chewing and barking at squirrels). He's gotten MUCH better about both, and I certainly hope he grows out of his chewing stage, but if he never does, I'll just have to live with interesting-looking furniture! LOL

Your right. I'm glad they returned him now instead of a month down the line. I think he will find a good home though being so young and so darn cute! The only thing that makes me really sad is that he has some previous injury to his back legs so he walkes and sits kinda funny. :( I hope they didn't return him because of that. :-?

He's much better off without them! :roll:

What I'm also curious to know is: Didn't anyone at the shelter speak to these people (about what they should expect from the whole puppy experience) prior to the adoption? Isn't there usually some kind of pre-qualifying interview?

I have limited experience working with rescue organisations. The ones I work with are small - we have no physical shelter. Rather, the dogs are kept with fosterers until they find homes. Our adoption criteria is pretty strict though - we are required to speak in detail to all would-be adopters, which also gives us a chance to suss out those whom we think wouldn't make good owners.

Which is why I'm surprised that this family was allowed to leave with the puppy in the first place. :-?