Dogomania

Do your dogs react to sounds on t.v.?

JackieMaya

Zeb will react to the doorbell sound sometimes but not always. There was a specific commercial that came out a little while ago where there was tons of doorbell sounds and it drove him crazy (I think it was a pizza hut commercial).

If I have Animal Planet on and there is an elephant on TV he will respond to the low frequency sounds that they make. He gets all excited and woo-woos into the speakers of the TV. Apparently Zeb isn't part Zebra he's part Elephant. :roll:

Yea, Dex is a freakin dumbarse. He growls and barks at the telly if there are dogs on it. Heck if it sounds like a dogs collar, he will give a bark or two. Our tv is thin and hangs on the wall, so he will run up to it when there is a dog on it. When the dog or animal is no longer on the tv, he runs into the bedroom behind. (The bedroom that shares the wall with the tv.) :roll: :lol: :lol:
I remember one time we were watching something, and a guy was pulling on some real heavy chain. Dex's head popped up, it was like he was thinking "DAYUM, that must be a big dog it is so loud." :D

As I posted earlier, Zeke responds to "Who let the dogs out" song when played on the TV - happened again this weekend during the hockey game.

Dogs barking on TV can get them all barking.

Riley and Zeke often respond to the sound of baby's crying - they come right up to the tv and cock their heads. They even sometimes leave nose smudges on the screen.

Riley and Zeke have also responded to visual stuff. We were watching some flyball a few weeks ago and Riley was more or less in a trance.

[quote name='xavierandrea']For some strange reason Asim thinks the hand puppets are real and he jumps at the screen. He attacks the TV and runs to my bedroom on the opposite side wall waiting for the puppets to come out... :stupid:[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Isnt it hilarious though? I swear I can just watch Dex doing that kind of stuff all day long.
We live in an apartment, and when Dex hears the phone ring, then me say "Third Floor" he makes a b-line for the door and starts barking his head off.
I was on the phone a few weeks ago, someone asked me what floor a buddy lived on in his new condo. I replied "third floor." And Dex started to go crazy. :roll:

[quote name='drjeffrock']Yea, Dex is a freakin dumbarse. He growls and barks at the telly if there are dogs on it. Heck if it sounds like a dogs collar, he will give a bark or two. Our tv is thin and hangs on the wall, so he will run up to it when there is a dog on it. [b]When the dog or animal is no longer on the tv, he runs into the bedroom behind[/b]. (The bedroom that shares the wall with the tv.) :roll: :lol: :lol:
I remember one time we were watching something, and a guy was pulling on some real heavy chain. Dex's head popped up, it was like he was thinking "DAYUM, that must be a big dog it is so loud." :D[/quote]

That reminds me of the Golden I used to have named Cracker. We had a moose head hanging on the wall at the cabin just outside the bathroom. When Cracker first saw the moose, his hackles went up and he started growling and barking at him. Then he went into the bathroom to find the rest of the moose. LOL! What a dufus!

:Dog_run:

I'll add Re to the yes column. Doorbell's ( we don't have one), sometimes phones but the strangest thing is when he is walking by the TV and the picture changes, he gets scared to death and runs out of the room as if someone shot a gun :hmmmm: Not sure what that's about.

DrJ-what kind of TV do you have?

Well, Riley and Rebel dont really react to noises on the TV. An occational bark or growl at the sound of another dog on the tv sometimes, but it doesn't occure all that often.

What they do react to is the sound of me pushing the button to turn the laptop off. Its really is hilarious tho, because they will both be sound asleep [or look so anyway] and I'll be sitting on the bed. As soon as they hear the little click of that button they both bounce up and run to the door, knowing we are going outside. Its especially funny when I only have to restart the computer- because they both jump up, run to the door, and give me a look like "umm Mom were're susposed to go now.. hurry up, etc"

Dexter broke an entertainment stand once. We were watching a dog show on tv, and they did an in-depth profile of Portugese Water Dogs. Dex jumped up from the couch, over the coffee table, and barreled into a entertainment stand. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Afterwards, it was leaning to a side, and standing up by a thread. Thank goodness it was a cheapo one.

My 4 dogs are horrible for that!!! They react to two things - the TV and my notebook.

We have a projection TV so it makes a very audible click when you turn it off. The notebook is just the lid clicking shut. The *instant* they hear that click, they all jump up, run to the door, and start crying.

[quote name='Kelly']
What they do react to is the sound of me pushing the button to turn the laptop off. Its really is hilarious tho, because they will both be sound asleep [or look so anyway] and I'll be sitting on the bed. As soon as they hear the little click of that button they both bounce up and run to the door, knowing we are going outside. Its especially funny when I only have to restart the computer- because they both jump up, run to the door, and give me a look like "umm Mom were're susposed to go now.. hurry up, etc"[/quote]

Mine all know the "turning-off-the-computer" sound too. LOL

Another thing my dogs react to is when I put out my cigarette, especially Jackie. I always go outside and have a smoke with them when I get home from work. Jackie knows that as soon as I put out the butt I'm going to get up and go inside and get their dinner ready.