Dogomania

make your own breed

Guest Anonymous

Hmmmmm . . . I suppose I would breed a Standard Poodle with a Barbone. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Suppossing of course I had the expertise and resources to responsible breed, they were registerd CHs, had some working or activity title, were a credit to their breed and of course I had some reason to be breeding in the first place.

[quote name='DogPaddle']Looks like Petsmo has a broker site for millers?[/quote]

Well, in that case I won't respond to the original question. But, really, many breeds are created by humans, and if the breeder has good intentions, plans to register with the AKC, has a history of understanding genetics, and has a legitimate goal that isn't met by current breeds, than I don't understand where the problem lies.

For instance, there is an effort to create a mid-size, long haired sighthound. A borzoi breeder has created it mostly from borzoi and whippets. It's called Silken Windhound. The stud book is closed, there are tons of them breeding true, they're in the process of getting AKC recognition, and they're accepted at some sighthound sporting events, although not for ribbons. I love the breed, and see an honest niche for it. Why is that wrong?

On the other hand, the proliferation of things like cockapoos and such is another matter altogether. No one's even pretending to make them a real, registered breed. And in those cases I agree with you all 100%

Also people who race sled dogs are constantly crossbreeding to make a better and faster sled dog. The Alaskan husky doesn't really have a true standard and people who race have used border collies, huskies and other breeds to make a dog that excels at racing and they still do crossbreed and don't think too highly of any dog show standards. I was reading once about one Alaskan husky that was roach backed and had a few other disfiguments but was an excellent sled dog and had perfect conformation when running. The dog would have been run out of a show ring :wink:
But, for fashion crosses I do think that is wrong. Any of the doodle mixes are just wrong because the people are breeding to make money not to better the breed.
All of our purebred dogs are mixed breeds, but they have been selectively breed to make a standard which can be done. There are also many purebred dogs that still today purebred breeders who are concerned about genetic health do sneak crossbreeding. It has been done with Siberian Husky's, Collies and a few other breeds. Its pretty easy to lie to the CKC and AKC if your looking to better the breed :wink:

[quote name='GreyhoundMama'][quote name='DogPaddle']Looks like Petsmo has a broker site for millers?[/quote]

Well, in that case I won't respond to the original question. But, really, many breeds are created by humans, and if the breeder has good intentions, plans to register with the AKC, has a history of understanding genetics, and has a legitimate goal that isn't met by current breeds, than I don't understand where the problem lies.

For instance, there is an effort to create a mid-size, long haired sighthound. A borzoi breeder has created it mostly from borzoi and whippets. It's called Silken Windhound. The stud book is closed, there are tons of them breeding true, they're in the process of getting AKC recognition, and they're accepted at some sighthound sporting events, although not for ribbons. I love the breed, and see an honest niche for it. Why is that wrong?

On the other hand, the proliferation of things like cockapoos and such is another matter altogether. No one's even pretending to make them a real, registered breed. And in those cases I agree with you all 100%[/quote]

See I dont like the idea of breeding at all but if people are breeding anyway, I see no problem with what your saying. If people are going to breed something for nothing other than looks and are considering "responsible breeders" then I dont see how creating a breed with "good" intentions is wrong. I do mean that honestly, but, again, I dont like the idea of breeding in general. :wink:

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']See I dont like the idea of breeding at all but if people are breeding anyway, I see no problem with what your saying. If people are going to breed something for nothing other than looks and are considering "responsible breeders" then I dont see how creating a breed with "good" intentions is wrong. I do mean that honestly, but, again, I dont like the idea of breeding in general. :wink:[/quote]

From a personal perspective, I agree with you. I made a decision a long time ago that I would never breed anything. Too many dogs and cats are destroyed every year, just because people breed too many of them. Four out of five of my dogs are rescues, and I expect to always, in future, take an "unwanted" animal, rather than a "new" one. If this were a perfect world, with no unwanted animals, and no puppy mills, then that would be a different story. It's a complicated issue though. What if all the responsible people stopped breeding, and all our dogs were from puppy mills? In my radical moments I think there should be a ban on breeding until all unwanted animals have loving homes. :wink: Would that work? What new problems would that create?

I don't see anything inherently wrong in crosses. I just think breeding should be extremely limited in itself until the unwanted dog problem is in check and you might be more likely to find controlled responsible breeding amongst the working and show folks. Of course there are exceptions on both sides.

:( HF didn't see my Barbonadoodle suggestion. I'm sure she would have liked it.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZQAAADchN!PWpLbhXWCnAoH*6udbo*7BI7nDmhq312KWN0dLO3CEGiGTazht*an!qwFPoA81MfTDxqTxmJcmaOVKAg0oH!NpGHEtHIzPjfCOiEjTkHMPkUAeCfwxLFDzxIPeTHFAi*InZprNp4brUQ/smiley%20startled.gif?dc=4675544123286121253[/img]I... I... I... but... but... I...
*splutter*

Barbonadoodle![img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YQAAAIEfHD3WpLbhXWCnAildCGbdfGaUJpRtJJcaXAIcldYsyg2T2z!YJr6we5ze198cIxY5EseVoE66wlTbNZXOj3lWQ5k!4JiuP2li76gb8bjRYF21bayBbltY9W6wWvBRwIY3bp!XOBrSkkF20Q/smiley%20hmph.gif?dc=4675542461459533473[/img]

Various sized Barbones.
[img]http://www.original-legno.it/portale/immagini/animali/images/barbone.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.original-legno.it/portale/dettagli.asp?ID=12]source[/url]

Another [i]Barbone[/i]
[img]http://animal.discovery.com/guides/dogs/selector/gallery/1560b.jpg[/img]
Source click here --> [url=http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogprofile.do?id=1560]:lol:[/url]

I'm loving those! It's the name "Barbonadoodle" or ANY "doodle" that makes me want to tear my hair out. I'm just being hyper-sensitive, I know, but such a cutesy pootsy name for such an elegant dog...
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZQD0Ajoh4!bkrE4ils3fL!0sOIAGIvQrzJuZ6EZ8PeJUUwfjDeSGY9kdjt5GADvt5gEWqiyIWEdf0ex1EIhBwPTNGD*E7pDULVp!uoo3plGBcNpwe51qIqA!DGRX1cfOQz0TVsG1tGs0P7PNQwR1nA/frustrated%20lady.jpg?dc=4675542339371195571[/img]

Thanks for the eye candy. *dreamy sigh*[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YgD0AvQftGfWpLbhXWCnAkhe5SgSHl4lTSOpCGI1FqdIT6evVZR994ZaH82BgnAOVXLBTn48CyZjFbnGBz*51zjsVYxIwBHzi3pknN*E3FKlH7Atsx*g2BZJVHzHYhHaZX7lvaAYzN0qQnd7ygqwyg/smiley%20drool.gif?dc=4675542461456568354[/img]

I think if I were going to make a new breed. I would bring back into the current breeds one of the breeds used to make the current purebred. :wink:

Rottweiler and Doberman.

English Mastiff and BullMastiff

Collie and Sheltie

Newfoundland and Tibetan Mastiff or Lab or maybe even St Bernard

I could go on and on. :D

I think they would look great. And they wouldn't be too far off the standard that there is no reason why they couldn't be shown. I think the main thing would be to achieve health and do the work you need from them. Herding, drafting, droving etc.
I also do not agree with money exchanging hands for any dogs. All dogs should only have a small adoption charge. This would snuff out the irresponsible breeders and if people are showing dogs, Well thats their hobby and the pups should not have a price tag. That in itself would cut back on over poputation. Then all we'd have to be concerned with is the people who just stupidly let their dogs run at large and the people who don't spay and nueter. zing those people with hefty fines so that they will be more responsible and more money could be put into the system to help rescue and employ people to nail offenders :D

You certainly cannot show in conformation a dog that has mixed parentage as an example of breeding stock of an established breed. The first few generations would not conform to any standard and physically they would be all over the map.
I do agree with the dogs doing the work they were bred for, of course, but it takes years of selective and intelligent breeding to, say, bring Lab blood back into a line of Newfies without compromising them.