Dogomania

Private Ownerships of Wolves

Ash

No matter what I say, no matter what info I quote it from, you will always be on the defensive, juding on what I post. What best authority on exotic animal ownership than the private owner, who is with their exotics all the time (well - except for being on here right now), who interacts with those exotics thru hands-on experience? Some so-called professionals who have been called upon to quote in the media, have never even touched an exotic feline, let alone seen one up close. What about pit bulls? Is it right for someone to be quoted as saying that pit bulls are dangerous and wild dogs, and no one should be allowed to own them? they should be banned? especially if that person has no hands-on experience what so ever with them. Okay, I might be using pit bulls as a bad example because I have no experience with a pit bull.

quote: I promise you that the definitions of exotic and wild will be quite similar in any reputable dictionary. Now if you are talking about Millie's homemade dictionary, thats another story. :lol:
Seriously though, I am not trying to pick on you, but you have not made a single, valid point in any of your posts. Just because you have x number of tigers in your backyard, does not make you the authority on wild animals.[/quote]

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol

"Girls gone wil...uhh, exoti...uhh undomesticated"

[quote name='rotten_two']and here i thought 'exotic' referred to dancing men in leopard print thongs and 'wild' was more like guys you find at a frat party! geez i really should expand my vocabulary :oops:[/quote]

[quote name='Millie']What about pit bulls? Is it right for someone to be quoted as saying that pit bulls are dangerous and wild dogs, and no one should be allowed to own them? they should be banned? especially if that person has no hands-on experience what so ever with them. Okay, I might be using pit bulls as a bad example because I have no experience with a pit bull.
[/quote]
Again, here you go comparing apples and oranges. A pitbull is a domesticated dog, not a wild animal. Every single day people say that pitbulls are dangerous and should be banned that have no experience with them.
And if you really want me to humor you with this ridiculous analogy of pitbulls and tigers: When I am sick and stumble over or make a mis-step, my pitbull is not going to wrap his jaws around me and try to take me to safety, nearly killing me in the process.

Here Drew, I just looked up Exotic and Wild in my handy dandy "Webster's NEW WORLD Pocket Dictionary" (new and revised) :wink:

EXOTIC- 1-foreign 2- strangely beautiful, etc..

WILD - 1- in it's natural state 2- not civilized 3- unruly 4- stormy 5- enthusiastic 6- reckless 7- missing the target -[i]adv.[/i] in a wild way [i]-n. pl. [/i]wilderness

So....by looking at those 2 definitions, I would say captive wolves, and big cats, etc... fit [u][b]both [/b][/u]categories, not just one. :wink:

What do you say Millie ?

And just for the record, I don't think anyone should own a *wild* animal just because.....
I believe if they can they should be left in the wild.
Now, I do believe there are some professionals that rescue *wild* animals from bad situations and that can't be helped and is actually helping the animal. But I do think they should be sent to Sanctuaries that are set up for them to simulate their wild habitat, not just go to any Joe Schmo in Hoboken because he wants to be cool and own a wolf or tiger. :wink:

lol..oh boy! This argument was posted on several exotic feline lists, I am just the first one, to respond! Just wait! Give us time, some of us will be here either today or tomorrow.

[quote name='"Jessashelony"'][quote]What best authority on exotic animal ownership than the private owner[/quote]

You are absolutely right...

We are still standing by for a valid argument from a private owner.

We are still standing by for proof that there is a private owner amongst us.[/quote]

[quote name='Millie']lol..oh boy! This argument was posted on several exotic feline lists, I am just the first one, to respond! Just wait! Give us time, some of us will be here either today or tomorrow.

[quote name='Jessashelony'][quote]What best authority on exotic animal ownership than the private owner[/quote]

You are absolutely right...

We are still standing by for a valid argument from a private owner.

We are still standing by for proof that there is a private owner amongst us.[/quote][/quote]
Fantastic. I look forward to hearing other people's responses. Hopefully someone will actually have an argument that will hold water.

UGH! but they are not TAKEN from the wild! they are born and raised here in the states. UGH! The big cats that are here in the United States have been born and raised here in the United States. Do you honestly believe that a Siberian Tiger, actually flew in a plane from Siberia to live here? Do you actually believe that a African Serval, actually flew in a plane from Africa to live here? Their ancestors did, but not the ones that actually live here in the states now. And if they did, it can only be done by Zoos, researchers, etc. So hence, not "wild" felines, but "exotic" felines! Also the words, Siberian and Africa, are the names of the species of felines. Siberian tiger, African Tiger, Bengal Tiger, Indonesia Tiger, etc, etc.

[quote name='"Debbie"']Here Drew, I just looked up Exotic and Wild in my handy dandy "Webster's NEW WORLD Pocket Dictionary" (new and revised) :wink:

WILD - 1- in it's natural state 2- not civilized 3- unruly 4- stormy 5- enthusiastic 6- reckless 7- missing the target -[i]adv.[/i] in a wild way [i]-n. pl. [/i]wilderness

So....by looking at those 2 definitions, I would say captive wolves, and big cats, etc... fit [u][b]both [/b][/u]categories, not just one. :wink:

What do you say Millie ?

And just for the record, I don't think anyone should own a *wild* animal just because.....
I believe if they can they should be left in the wild.
Now, I do believe there are some professionals that rescue *wild* animals from bad situations and that can't be helped and is actually helping the animal. But I do think they should be sent to Sanctuaries that are set up for them to simulate their wild habitat, not just go to any Joe Schmo in Hoboken because he wants to be cool and own a wolf or tiger. :wink:[/quote]

[quote name='IlBLisSlI'][quote name='Debbie']Here Drew, I just looked up Exotic and Wild in my handy dandy "Webster's NEW WORLD Pocket Dictionary" (new and revised) :wink:

[/quote]

I agree completely. Animals can fit into both categories. But my argument was against miss Millie saying that her "exotic" pets weren't wild. When clearly the definition of wild says that they are.[/quote]

Yes, I know !! I was trying to help you out !!! :wink:

(sigh) My cats are not wild, they were born and raised here in the states.
So they are exotics.
If you mean wild as being in a wild state (action), that would mean they are untouchable by humans.
Mine are touchable, you need the "experience" in handling them. Why? just their size alone, can seriously hurt me. I am a mere 125 lbs, my biggest cat, is just a little over 300 pounds. If he sat on me, he would hurt me. When he head butts me showing me affection, he could knock me silly.

(quote):
I agree completely. Animals can fit into both categories. But my argument was against miss Millie saying that her "exotic" pets weren't wild. When clearly the definition of wild says that they are.[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

Ummm... I didnt read everything but will go back and do so when I have more time...

Big cats raised by people arent wild? Maybe you should tell Sigfried and Roy that. I have no doubt there breeding program is the best in the country, if not the world, they spend all their time with their cats, yet one still attacked.

A wild animal is a wild animal. Nothing will, or can, change that.

[quote name='Millie'](sigh) My cats are not wild, they were born and raised here in the states.
So they are exotics.
If you mean wild as being in a wild state (action), that would mean they are untouchable by humans.
[color=red]Mine are touchable, you need the "experience" in handling them. Why? just their size alone, can seriously hurt me. I am a mere 125 lbs, my biggest cat, is just a little over 300 pounds. If he sat on me, he would hurt me. When he head butts me showing me affection, he could knock me silly.[/color]

(quote):
I agree completely. Animals can fit into both categories. But my argument was against miss Millie saying that her "exotic" pets weren't wild. When clearly the definition of wild says that they are.[/quote][/quote]

Which would mean they are wild (uncivilized, and reckless) :wink:

No, I do not breed them. There are too many bad breeders out there, who will sell to anyone, just because they are "neat" or "different". We provide them with forever homes instead of killing them, to where they can live out their lives. Also, people who are even thinking of buying a tiger cub, should be looking into their city/state laws. Alot of states, ban ownership of these great cats. It is not the cat's fault, that there are bad breeders, and inexperienced people out there, like people having them in a freaking apartment. Tigers need space, alot of it!

Millie breeds them? please tell me it aint so[/quote]

[quote]My cats are not wild, they were born and raised here in the states. [/quote]

oh right the american domesticated tiger! with ya now! so because your cats are born in captivity they are no longer wild? well that might be the stoopidest thing i have heard today -- wait maybe all week! the zoos breed in captivity and the first thing any of those handlers tell you is that they are still wild animals as in not tame! trained maybe but not tame!

[quote name='rotten_two'][quote]My cats are not wild, they were born and raised here in the states. [/quote]

oh right the american domesticated tiger! with ya now! so because your cats are born in captivity they are no longer wild? well that might be the stoopidest thing i have heard today -- wait maybe all week! the zoos breed in captivity and the first thing any of those handlers tell you is that they are still wild animals as in not tame! trained maybe but not tame![/quote]

:kciuki:

Millie if you want to make a point for owning tigers, arguing semantics is not the proper way to go about it. I dont care if a tiger and his parents, and his grandparents were born in captivity, your backyard or if they were all born on the Serengeti Plain, they are still wild.
We all fully understand that a tiger born in captivity cannot just be tossed back in the wild to fend for themselves. However, the fact that they cannot fend for themselves in the wild does NOT strip away the fact that they have natural, wild insticts. You proved this yourself when you were making excuses for why Roy's tiger nearly killed him.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Michele'][quote name='Hmmmm']Ummm... I didnt read everything but will go back and do so when I have more time...

Big cats raised by people arent wild? Maybe you should tell Sigfried and Roy that. I have no doubt there breeding program is the best in the country, if not the world, they spend all their time with their cats, yet one still attacked.

A wild animal is a wild animal. Nothing will, or can, change that.[/quote]

I tried telling MIllie about Sigfried and Roy....she said the cat was only protecting Roy.....which no one is debating....in the process, the cat nearly killed the guy....Wild is WILD[/quote]
Exactly... If she has all this experience with these animals how would she not know that. There arent many people involved with big cats who dont say they are wild animals. Usually they are the first to tell people. :-?
If one of my dogs is protecting me I know Ill come out of it unharmed. BUT, they are all domesticated. Not wild animals in captivity.

[quote name='Jessashelony'][quote]My cats are not wild, they were born and raised here in the states. [/quote]

No.. That means they are not exotic! :wink:

Which is funny because I thought you were trying to tell us they WERE exotic, but not wild...

Boy am I confused![/quote]
LOL, you beat me to this point.
All I can say is if I was an advocate for allowing people to own large cats, I certainly would not want Millie arguing my case.

IMO, if an owner wants to get a Big cat and risk getting hurt or killed by it, that's their own choice to make, not ours. Should we ban skydiving because it kills people? No, because we understand that it is their choice to participate in a potentially dangerous activity. It is no different with wild animals.

~Seij