Dogomania

I called 911, the refused to come in because of the dogs!

xavierandrea

So.. here I am all pi$$ed off and typing to my dogo friends. Well I don't know if I'm pi$$ed or upset or just shocked. This is what happened. It was around 2:30pm right after I finished talking to Jess on msn. I was in the kitchen getting something for the kids to eat. I told X to just keep an eye on DJ which he always does. Well DJ must have fell face first on the hardwood floor. This again happens all the time but this time he started to whale...really bad. They were in his bedroom which is right off of the kitchen and I could see them both. I ran to him and I saw blood. DJ never got his 2 front teeth he got this eye-teeth so he looks like a vampire. It's weird looking. I couldn't open his mouth he wouldn't let me. Free was pacing like a mad dog not knowing what was going on and Asim started to push me away from the baby thinking I hurt him. Well my first instinst was his "vampire" teeth pierced through his tounge and that is why I see so much blood. I grabbed the baby from the floor and had X call 911. I then had X round the dogs up and place them on the front porch which most of you guys know is all closed up and heated. Patti was outside in the kennel. Anywhoo 2 cop cars, 1 fire truck and 1 ambulance came. I could tell because the dogs were barking up a storm. I couldn't or maybe things were happening so quickly that I didn't give the stay, sit down quiet command... They knocked on the front door where the dogs were and X told them to come around. Their words to X. " NO way are we going in that house." X said but my dogs are here on the front porch and this is closed off. My mother said to come aorund. Mind you this whole time I sitting in the kitchen on the other side of the house with the baby wondering what is taking so long. X comes back in and says they are not coming in. They want you to bring the baby out because they said they are scared of the dogs. :-? I asked X did you tell them the dogs are locked up and to come around he said yes and they still said no way because our dogs have heads the size of horses...
Anyways DJ only bite through his lip and it is all swollen.
Now my question what if I was the one in need and I was home alone I would have died because all these people wouldn't come in. I even told them my dogs were locked up...

yikes Andrea thats not good at all. I'm glad that Dj is ok and good for X calling 911. That is ridiculous that they wouldn't come in. When they called the paramedics for me, the fire guys came first and very fast and my friends didn't have enough time to lock up the dogs. Meghann the biggest Sheltie went crazy when the paramedics came and tried to bite at them and wouldn't get off me. Everyone says it was like a mad house! :o Even with Meg lying across me, the paramedics still climbed up on the bed to get to me and give me emergency aid.

I agree you should write a letter and voice your feelings.

Oh I forgot to add this part .......Because I was so pi$$ed.. One of the paramedics looked at the cop and asked would you go in there? and the cop said not without this.. As he was tapping his gun in his holdster(sp)..WTF??? :x . Thank dog X didn't see that because he want to be a cop someday....
I don't want trouble but to think they would shot my dogs.. Like I said this happened so quickly... These dogs are my life.. As soon as I went to the front porch I gave the quiet command and all was silent..

Oh and 1 more thing... Sorry guys but the more I think about this the more angry I get but those guys were knocking on front door right where the dogs where, and they were all in the front yard within inches of the poch, of coarse my dogs are going to bark. Hello there freaking dogs!!!!!!!!!!!! An I wrong to be this pi$$ed???

actually, you are right that they were wrong to refuse to come in, when they were told the dogs were locked up, but, they can and will shoot a dog acting aggressive towards them when they try to come in. I've been told that when the paramedics have come here. still, they at least should have made the attempt, especially after being told to cometo the side.

I would definitely report them. and tell the media.

Ugh... I had something typed up but Dogo doesnt like me apparently... :(

Anyway, I bet half the reason the dogs were going crazy is because they could sense the "help" you got was a bunch of assholes!! :evil: I cant believe they wouldve shot your dogs. Maybe its a good thing they didnt go in. :roll: They probably woldve claimed the dogs were "threatening" and the only was to "save" DJ was to get them out of the way, even if it meant killing them. :cry: What retarded jerks.

You DEF have the right to be pissed. Please tell me you are going to write to EVERYONE about this?! Something needs to change here. Had this been a life/death situation, someone couldve died. Thgats just scary and pathetic on their part.

I think you have every right to be angry. I can understand that they didn't know the dogs and that they may have been leary, but with that many people standing around, it's just hard to imagine that there wasn't ONE person that had the gumption to do something after being told the dogs were contained and that it was safe. That just sucks.

Since you now know how they are likley to respond, it might be best in the future to put the dogs in a bathroom or spare bedroom if you ever have to call them again. Even though I think they reacted poorly, especially with THAT many people involved, I'd hate to think of someone in your family having care delayed if some real emergency does come up where time is crucial. Sometimes you just have to make adjustments on your own end to account for the ignorant actions of others. I think I'm more outraged by the comments made by the cop than anything else. What a jerk! To act as if his gun is some sort of equalizer; shoot first and ask questions later, and be so blase about it, ESPECIALLY with kids present (whether your son saw it or not). Oh yeah, I'd complain.

I hope the baby is ok.

:agrue: i agree with them. as a licensed emt one of the first things we are told is scene safety first. if i felt i was threatened i wouldent have gone in. why didnt you put the dogs in the garage or back yard. thats youre fault, not there. they have to look out for there own personal safety first.

So you would feel threatened by dogs contained in a completely separate enclosure? These dogs were not running at large. :-?

[quote]2 cop cars, 1 fire truck and 1 ambulance came[/quote]

Out of ALL these people, no one had sense enough to realize that the dogs were completely contained after being told so repeatedly? I can respect the need to feel safe, but I consider this gross negligence and apathy. I feel these people are in the wrong line of work if they are that easily "threatened."

My mom said the exact same thing as Dobedo. :roll: She had trained as an EMT also. They are told not to go into those kind of situations. :-?

Whats sad is they put their safety before others. I thought the whole point of their job was to save people?

I dont understand what the big deal is if the dogs were contained... why couldnt they just go in the side like instructed? I bet they wouldnt feel as threatened if your dogs were labs. :roll:

There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have gone in there. The dogs were contained, there was a side door, end of story.

And I agree, they weren't thinking of the safety of their intended patient, they were only thinking of their own safety (which shouldn't have been an issue anyway becaues the dogs were contained).

I'm with the rest - I think you should lodge an official complaint & definitely involve the media. That was a totally awful situation you were subjected to - I can't imagine being worried sick about a loved one & experiencing what you went through. :evil:

And the cop who made that comment about his gun... ?$#^$%@ I have no words. :x

dito yo what was said over here so far, you have to do somthing about that, media, anything but somthing has to be done. i can understand if the entering to your home was srounded bu fense and the dogs where there but the dogs where in different place and you did provided safe door to enter, they had no logical reson ( no other reson that i can think right now )

Wow. I'd be pissed off too. I can kinda understand the police and EMT being hesitant to come in because they are taught that there safety is the number 1 priority. Number 2 is you, whoever needs assistance. After knowing that the dogs were safely contained there is no reason that they shouldn't have gone into your house. None at all. I would definitly file a complaint and I would definitly go after that cop who made the comment about his gun. That was totally unprofessional and uncalled for him to say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the officers, EMT's ect. could see that the dogs were on the porch right? So why the heck did they have a problem going in your house? :-?

I completely understand where they are coming from- being an EMT doesn't mean that you throw caution to the wind. Actually, as "professional" lifesavers, where rescuing people and being in tough situations is part of the job, this would make them even more likely to keep a cool head and not rush in blindly like perhaps I would have done as a lay rescuer, or everyone here would have done.

This doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with their reasoning, though. I think they probably should have gone in, especially as there were so many of them there. But then again, I'm not a licenced EMT. I wasn't there; I can't assess the situation from their eyes.

I'm glad baby DJ is ok. It could have been worse.[/i]

Starfox they could all see that the dogs were on the porch. We have windows on the porch so they can see right into the porch. My tenant is an EMT so I'm going to ask him tonight what policy is ( I was to upset to ask him yesterday)and what he would do and get back to you guys. I sure wished he was home at the time :-? He always says just run upstairs if you need me..
I will be writing a letter. I'm still very upset. :cry: :cry:

OMG Poor little DJ(and thats not being sarcastic in anyway :wink: ) hope he's ok now.

I pnly read through the 1st page of replies so if I'm repeating then sorry. Abouth the letter, what I'd do is along with ALL letters is send a pic of the injury and maybe one of the dogs with the kids or something just to show that those idiots had nothing to be afriad of. :wink: