Dogomania

I think my dogs have kennel cough.

Niki, the worse, Bozy and Cody have been hacking all day. Of course my vet isn't in till Monday. I took temperatures and all are normal, but dang I hate seeing my dogs sick. Niki also has some sort of bug as she is very lethargic and has bad diarrhea. Needless to say, not a good day. I have a feeling they picked it up at the dogpark last weekend. I guess I wont be going back there anytime soon. :(

[quote name='leahluvsherpups']Fortunately I have some robitussen something or other, which is okay for the dogs. I filled the injector and medicated all of them earlier this eve. I just hate seeing them sick and to think I could have prevented this. :([/quote]

Maybe not. There are so many strains of kennel cough which even my "vaccinate 'em no matter what" vet acknowledges. I never vaccinate my dogs for kennel cough, anymore, and I don't worry about where they go. A couple of mine will get it once or twice a year no matter what, and the rest of mine never do. That's whether they've had the vaccine or not. As a matter of fact, one of my dogs stopped getting kennel cough entirely after he stopped being vaccinated for it (not saying it CAUSED it... just that it certainly didn't help).

Don't beat yourself up over it. I do the Robitussin thing, too, and they are usually as good as new within the week.

Funny thing is, I just had a go'round with it at my house a few weeks ago, the new foster became symptomatic with it just two days after getting her vaccinations. She in turn passed it on to my Husky, who's also had the vac. But my two mutts, who've NEVER had a Bordetella vac, were fine :-? , go figure.
Leah, just think of it like the common cold for canines, and you know what Chris Rock says about Robitussin :lol: ..........

Leah, take them in anyway. if its KC, no worries, but what if it isnt? the dog flu going around has been misdiagnosed as KC by many a vet already, according to the news.....and it requires quick action to take care of it. you need to request the vet to do whatever they have to do to check for the dog flu...blood test maybe....

:( Sorry to hear your babes are sick........
Gretchen had Kennel Cough, and I believe she got it from the Groomers.
That's the only place she goes where there are other dogs....
Cost me $89 for the pills !!! didn't know about the cough syrup thing... :oops:

Funny thing is.....she didn't pass the KC to my other 2 dogs but the c@t got it !!!! :lol: C@t Dr. told me it's a rare occurance but possible.... leave it to my million dollar c@t..... :wink:

[quote name='pyrless']HF is right, there are many strains that just can't be stopped.
It's weird that a cat got it though! i thought it coulndn't be transmitted inter-species...[/quote]

The C@t Dr. said that was once thought to be the rule, but new studies show in rare cases where c@ts have contracted it and lucky me mine did !!! :roll:

Everyone is recovering. We went to the vet on Tuesday and KC was confirmed. Cody is the wellest of the three and was prescribed Amoxicillin. Niki and Bozy are on a higher dose and are also taking cough supressants. From now on they are going to routinely get the Bordatella (sp?) vaccine.

Thank you all for your well wishes and concern. It means alot.

• 1 year later...

Funny you should say your dog got kennel cough after they got the vaccine for it . Mine did too this is not the first time it has happened to me .It showed up a couple days after the vaccine . It also happened to a friend of mine too. She had a whole litter come down with it a couple days after the vaccine for kennel cough it had to come from that because she had only the mother dog at home and the mother dog didn't have it till the pups had it after they got the shot . I tryed to even go to the new vaccine given in the back of the neck instead of the nasal one and that worked a little better but my pup still came down with kennel cough. It is part of the health certificate if you sell a pup they have to have this vaccine .I wish there was a better way too many dogs are getting kennel cough after the vaccine is given.