Dogomania

Dog Food again...

imported_raven

debbie, i'm sorry you took that post the wrong way, but i didn't mean to be condescending at all. it's difficult to convey the tone of a message in a purely written medium.

neither was i criticizing [i]you[/i], but stating my opinion (the only one being criticized in my above post were people who blindly follow magazine recommendations without any questioning). i get a ton of emails each day through my site from people who would rather have me give them a list of x foods and pick one of them rather than spending time to learn about what characteristics make a difference in the quality of a food and then checking out what's available to them locally. it gets very frustrating.

you might not agree with me on that point, but i don't find it helpful to tell people brand v, w, x, y and z are the best, end of story. each individual dog is different in what works for them nutritionally, but there is one factor that applies: ingredient quality.

some dogs are doing ok on nutro, others are not, but i just don't think the food is worth the price you (generic you here, not addressing anyone specifically) pay for a bag of nutro compared to other foods of higher quality.

[quote name='TDG']
but i just don't think the food is worth the price you (generic you here, not addressing anyone specifically) pay for a bag of nutro compared to [color=red]other foods of higher quality[/color].[/quote]

Thanks TDG......

But again, I know you don't like to list foods, but even if you gave a ball park list of the *better, high quality foods* at least I'd have someplace to start..... You seem to know what they are (see quote in red) but don't want to share the knowledge...... :(

I'd love to hear your high quality food list, seriously !! :wink:

TDG, I wanted to tell you I went to your site and found it extremely helpful and educational. All my dogs have been on IAMS forever, but our new Pyr seems a bit more sensitive, and in Pyrs it shows up in coat and skin. So I looked at your site and read the articles and learned about ingredients, and have switched them from IAMS to Diamond Lamb Meal and Rice, which they seem to be doing really well on! (i also give them olive oil in the winter and eggs sometimes). Thank you for the information and all the hard work.

pyrless - thank you :)

debbie - as one example of many, canidae is generally available for the same price (or only little more) as nutro natural choice, but it is more digestible and calorie dense, and contains less fillers, so you have to feed less of it and the same size bag will last longer. in addition to that, the meat content of canidae is about double that of most of the nutro natural choice varieties (e.g. lamb & rice or chicken, rice & oats). canidae also has better supplements and does not contain menadione.

i resent the remark that i don't want to share the knowledge about better foods :D that is the entire resaon why i authored my website on the topic and [url=http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=identify]this article[/url] specifically.

if it were really so simple to publish a list and give fair consideration to each food, i'd probably type one up. that's not the big deal.

but, in the last 4 years or so i have recorded and updated over 130 lines of dog food, encompassing over 800 different products and that's still not everything available on the US market right now. i know of at least 10 lines that i haven't included yet for various reasons (mostly lack of manufacturer details) and there are probably at least twice as many brands i simply haven't even heard of yet.

what would be fair of me to do? post a list of all the products i consider better quality than nutro? post a list of what i consider "better quality" than mainstream foods like pro plan and science diet? or just the foods i would consider good quality period?

the problem is if i single out let's say 50 different products, there s still a "pyramid" of quality, with the ok foods at the bottom and the selection narrowing down towards the top as we consider every single little detail that could make one food better than another.

after all that we could end up for example with a food like evo, which you noticed didn't work out for your dog for one reason or another, and the whole thing would have been futile.

one thing i [b]do[/b] for people who are consulting with me on what to feed is have them give me a list of foods that are easily available to them locally (e.g. the person being limited to large chain stores like petco or petsmart) and then determine what the best options would be.

if that would help you, please do feel free to email me. mordanna at mordanna dot com. :)

[quote name='TDG']pyrless - thank you :)

debbie - as one example of many, canidae is generally available for the same price (or only little more) as nutro natural choice, but it is more digestible and calorie dense, and contains less fillers, so you have to feed less of it and the same size bag will last longer. in addition to that, the meat content of canidae is about double that of most of the nutro natural choice varieties (e.g. lamb & rice or chicken, rice & oats). canidae also has better supplements and does not contain menadione.

[color=red]i resent the remark that i don't want to share the knowledge about better foods[/color] :D that is the entire resaon why i authored my website on the topic and [url=http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=identify]this article[/url] specifically.

if it were really so simple to publish a list and give fair consideration to each food, i'd probably type one up. that's not the big deal.

but, in the last 4 years or so i have recorded and updated over 130 lines of dog food, encompassing over 800 different products and that's still not everything available on the US market right now. i know of at least 10 lines that i haven't included yet for various reasons (mostly lack of manufacturer details) and there are probably at least twice as many brands i simply haven't even heard of yet.

what would be fair of me to do? post a list of all the products i consider better quality than nutro? post a list of what i consider "better quality" than mainstream foods like pro plan and science diet? or just the foods i would consider good quality period?

the problem is if i single out let's say 50 different products, there s still a "pyramid" of quality, with the ok foods at the bottom and the selection narrowing down towards the top as we consider every single little detail that could make one food better than another.

after all that we could end up for example with a food like evo, which you noticed didn't work out for your dog for one reason or another, and the whole thing would have been futile.

one thing i [b]do[/b] for people who are consulting with me on what to feed is have them give me a list of foods that are easily available to them locally (e.g. the person being limited to large chain stores like petco or petsmart) and then determine what the best options would be.

if that would help you, please do feel free to email me. mordanna at mordanna dot com. :)[/quote]

Thanks TDG and I sincerely apologize for that......I have joined your site and look forward to more info on foods !! :wink:

• 3 months later...