Dogomania

Two males in the pack

pyrless

If all is well with Sasha and we adopt Baxter, we will have two boys in our pack...Taz is 3.5 and Baxter is about 6. Taz is not super-dominant and neither is Baxter, from what I can tell, but this is "Taz's place", he was here first.
Does anyone else have two males, and can you give me some pointers on creating harmony? I know the first few weeks are always tough, but I just want to arm myself with as many ideas as possible.
Thanks, as always! :D

I also have two males. Bozy was the first then Buddy came along a few months ago. They first walked on egg shells with each other but they are fine now. Honestly I cant figure out who is on top of the pecking order with my four but I think Niki has the upper hand. She was my first and doesn't let the other three get away with anything. Sorry not much help either.

I don't really have experience, other than having had another male dog for petsitting for a few weeks. But from what I have heard and seen, I think, it is important that the two dogs meet each other at a neutral place, outside Taz's 'territory'. Here you will also see, if they like each other or they don't. I guess, eventually some fights will happen as to see who's boss. 8)

they did meet for the first time at a park, and it went well, then we came back to the house where taz started his posturing...nothing mean, and he did bark his little "play with me" puppy bark. I know they will have to work it out, i guess i am just a little nervous... :roll:

well i think that two females more dificult than two males LOL
anyway the important thing to remember is first of all to be with a tight contact with your dog trainer, secont thing remember that your dogs were first before this male, therefore they eat first, you pet them more and first before the new male ( i say both of them because the problem can be with the female to ). it's more than very important to feed them in different places at home, be cerefull with toys they can cause fights between the dogs.

oh, yeah, totally! they are separated now when they eat and the only toys that are communal are the "yard toys".
the pyr rescue chairman has had 20 yrs. experience with the breed and she was like "well, like it or not we are going to be like family"! this is a good thing.

@Irena:

While I agree that it is probably more difficult with two females than with two males - I disagree, that the last dog is necessarily the lower dog in rank. I'm not much into the whole dominance thing, but this is a situation where it makes sense for me. If the new dog is stronger and wins in the 'who's the boss' fight, the owners should accept that. If they don't, they may make it more difficult, because the dogs may become insecure of that situation.

i didn't said that the last dog is the lowest, but to prevent the fights from frustration because the whole attantion usualy going to the new guy in the group. after some time the new dog will find his new place in the group but untill then it's strongly not recomended to put the new dog in the lidder place, you will couse that way to many fights when the lidder between the dogs will want his place back.

by the way pyrless i hope the female is sterilized or the both males right?

I have two males, Lucky was first and then we got Riley 5 years later. In my case, the first one here (Luck) seemed to automatically become the boss. He's really not dominant, but Riley never had any trouble accepting his underdog postion. Now between Chaos (female) and Riley, that's another story.

yeah! Taz kind of lets Sasha push him around most of the time, too. Baxter has been in foster care ten months, part of that time kenneled next to another male Pyr (which is usually a horrible combination and only to be attempted by the extremely expyrienced!) but after being next to each other for so long they are fine, and Baxter is not the bossy one. And it's been over three years, Taz kind of knows we aren't going anywhere.

Well, I wouldnt think of two males being a problem but seeing as theres a female to throw in there, Im sure thats gonna be interesting. :wink:

My friend has 4 male dogs, 2 of which are pit mixes and they all do fine together... except for her chow, hes way too dominant. Males tend to do really well together. Females... usually not, unless theyre submissive, like my baby. :P

Im sure Taz and Baxter will work out their rank on their own. My guess is Taz will end up the dominant one because he'll feel reassured with his family around while Baxter is the new guy and doesnt have that same reassurance. Good luck with adding Baxter to your pack. Hope things turn out well. :D :wink:

step back and watch..with males, usually, the pack order is determined between themselves. the first few weeks are rough, til the rules have been laid down. you just need to be there to make sure havoc doesnt break out, but mostly, they will resolve it themselves. FEMALES??? My two STILL havent come to terms. its different for females. one may be top dog one day, and lose it the next...with NO intervention from me...

:lol: :lol:

Coming in late on this one.

We have four males. Two being the GSDs and two being the Cresteds.

The GSDs are 6 months apart (4 1/2 and 5 years), one crested is 1 year and the other crested is 8 years.

The GSDs get 'snotty' with each other. I don't tolerate it. Jeremy and I are boss in our house and WE pay the vet bills. So, no nastiness allowed. No rough play that can turn aggressive. And you can tell if it will go that way. There is just this sound.....it's obvious here. So eveyone gets a sharp, "EH" and a stern look and they all retreat to their seperate corners.

PoGo (the youngest one) is by far the snottiest. He just torments the GSDs to no end. He steals toys and treats right out of their mouths. He's the devil.

Tater is very quiet, but don't get NEAR him when he's eating. He'll turn into the exorcist. He doens't want any animal around him.....even the cats are a no go. I think the four years in the puppy mill made him this way about his food. Everyone knows to eat from their own bowl and not to bother anyone else at all. Period. Tater is a slow eater due to his lack of teeth, but no one bothers him anymore. PoGo wolfs down his food first, but knows to sit on his mat until the GSDs finish their food (which isn't too far behind him). Then the three of them can go lick each other's bowls out, but still.....no one is allowed to go near Tater.

I think as long as you keep things very structured and routined, you should do well. Everyday, everyone gets let outside the same way and they get fed the same way. It's just a habit now and they can follow it if it's repeated.

Good luck and keep us updated!

I guess I got lucky with Jackie and Maya. I had Jackie for six months before I got Maya, and they fell in love right from the start and were instant best friends. In the 3 years that I've had them, they've maybe had 3 "fights" where I had to yell at them (or throw pillows at them) to break them up. It was more barking and growling than anything.

Pooh Bear is very smart, and if one of the girls tells him not to do something, he listens.

Good luck with Sasha's vet appointment and with Baxter!

You guys are so nice! Thanks! OG, i love what you said about paying the vet bills! Right on!
We have to be structured as it is now 'cause muffin and sasha must be supervised together and they all eat separately.
I am excited and nervous! I can't wait to get photos, he is a big boy, all white. :D

yeah hurry up with those pics. sometimes the status in a pack (not including human members now) is situational. at the doors aspen insists on going out first and gaia could give a crap. on the couch gaia will grumble to keep her position and aspen will find somewhere else to lay down. neither dog marks where the other has peed. pyr they will get it straight between them the key is keeping a watchful eye just in case it were to get a bit out of hand.

We have 4 males and have never had any problems, but we always get the "new" dog young (6 months old or less) and introduce them into a defined pack structure with adults.

So far, everybody appears to just accept the hierchy as is. The rank of our dogs exactly mirrors who was first, second, third, etc. Granted, this may be more coincidence than anything else.

I'm sure if we got an adult dog that there would be some tussles in determining whose boss.