Dogomania

Do you play fight with your dogs?

HuggyBear

I do with Pepe, Didi is too ''prissy'' to play games of that sort. Me and Pepe get on all fours we push,we tug,he bites (he'll just put his mouth on your arm,you could feel his teeth,but he won't puncture them into you),he gets the scrunchie off my hair,we box,and I'll roll him over or give him a nudgie. Didi and Pepe have this ''game'' where Pepe will be on the bed,and Didi's on the floor and they'll bark and chase each other around the bed. But other than that, Didi's real ''classy''.Even playing ball,she'll catch the ball,and then she excepts you you scratch her for the next hour or so. You know how divas are.

I don't play fight with my dog because I work too hard to let him know that I am the alpha, and with his personality, playing in this way would be counterproductive.

With my last dog, Puppy, I did used to "bite" her ear and do a low growl, it always got her in this gutteral lockjaw "talking" mode that was cute as heck! I just know better now so I probably wouldn't do it again.

Think about it, isn't "Play Fighing" an oxymoron?

We do a half-wrestle with Cosmic: It involves us turning him on his back and sort of swiping at his paws with our hands. :lol: He LOVES this game and gets really excited. It usually ends with him rushing to get a toy... so we can play tug-of-war. :lol:

That said, Cosmic is VERY secure in his position as "baby" of the family. ;) he knows that we rule the roost. He's also non-aggressive. I am also proud to say (boast! :oops: :lol:) that his bite reflexes are fantastic. 8) I could splay my fingers wide over his toy during a crazy game of tug - and he won't bite. ;) Cosmic plays at a disadvantage - he has to 'mouth-feel' the toys we hold & only bites down when he feels ONLY toy and no fingers. (He's still darn fast!)

We practice 'bite-inhibition' (tug!) games almost everyday. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I wrestle with some of my dogs. Ill come in the house covered from head to toe with mud... And like Alan, I have never had a problem. they all know they arent supposed to put their mouth on me and they all know I am alpha.

Yeah I've done it with Kes from day one, just so she knows who makes the rules and who runs the show at my house. We just roll around and play growl and i grab her paws alternatively but very fast , but i can tell her down and she drops on a penny and when i say that'll do, thats the end of the game and she quits. Thats the difference between knowing when you can play fight with your dog. It can sometimes be very dangerous if you dont know exactly what you are doing or your dog is very dominant, and you should always have an obedience command to quit play immediately when its warranted or the dog gets too rough.

Used to play fight with Jesse all of the time. He would really get into it and look quite fearsome with flashing jaws and snarls and growls. He never once crossed the line. He'd peel his lips back so that it looked as though all his teeth were on the OUTSIDE! He still likes to play like this with me, but I am far more gentle with my old buddy.
Could never do this at all with Brittany, she would get this hurt look on her face and back away. She still gives Candy holy heck and used to beat up on Jesse but she will not play rough with a person.
Candy loves it! She, like Jesse, is quite vocal about it and will bite me, though never enough to draw blood or even bruise. I will hook a finger behind her front canines and she will try to whip her head from side to side like she is going to tear me apart.
I also play tug games, Jesse would drag me across the floor in his younger days.
A few years ago, my then 11 year old niece was playing tug with Jesse. He was lying on his side, she dragged him across the floor like that. Both the niece and the dog had a good time.