Dogomania

Wife left one of the dogs outside...

eric

...or so I thought.

The wife gets up quite a bit earlier than I (around 6:15 am) and she let she lets them out in the morning. She leaves around 7:30, which is usually when I get up.

Anyhow, wake up this morning after having some freaking WEIRD dreams, walk over to the bedroom window, open the blinds, and spot Travis out in the back field!

My first thought is "Crap! She forgot the dogs outside!" so I start opening the window to call Travis when Travis walks into the room wondering what all the commotion is about.

I give my head a shake and look a little closer at the canine in my backyard. It was way too big to be a fox. It was an honest to God coyote. We hear them all the time at night doing their little howl-alongs at 3 am, but this is the first time I've seen one.

Not sure what would happen. My guess is Travis and Zeke would think its just another dog and chase it off the property, Sam would try to play with it, and Riley would run in the house and hide under the bed.

It was smaller than I thought. Looked like maybe 65-75 lbs.

Did I tell you about the time I left Zeke and Travis outside at the cottage?

I have no clue what happened; I think I must of been sleepwalking or something.

I woke up around 3 am and was really thirsty, so I get up and head downstairs. I grab some juice from the fridge, quench my thirst, and figure I'll take a tinkle while I'm downstairs. Head into the washroom, turn on the light, and realize Travis is not there which is really odd because that his preferred sleeping spot.

I got a little worried and turned on the main floor lights; still no Travis. Now I'm freaking, because Travis absolutely refuses to go upstairs, so the only othe place he could be was outside. I'm thinking "Oh God! Did I forget him outside?!!" I'm thinking he's long gone and deep into the forest.

I run to the backdoor, reef it open, and there sits not only Travis but Zeke! Sitting at the back door, on the mat, looking like the two saddest dogs you have ever seen. They were not happy.

I let them in (apologizing profusely) and head upstairs to wake up my wife and tell her what happened. She then tells me that I woke up around 1:30 am and opened and closed the back door - she had no clue what I was doing. Neither did I, because I have absolutely no memory of doing that.

Could have been a wolf, but its REALLY rare for them to go anywhere near human dwellings. Eastern coyotes are also much larger than southern coyotes, so you never know. Could have been a coyote wolf cross too, not very likely but it DOES happen.

Where is your cottage again? (thats where you saw the canine right?) I believe they descovered a new sub species of wolf a few years ago, one that has reddish points like a coyote, but is much larger (Canis lupus lycaon I think it is). I don't know if their range extends where you are though, as I believe they're mostly near Algonquin park.

*Edited - Didn't realize you were Canadian and would actually know where Ottawa was*

This was actually at home, which is 1/2 hour south of Ottawa.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']Could have been a wolf, but its REALLY rare for them to go anywhere near human dwellings. Eastern coyotes are also much larger than southern coyotes, so you never know. Could have been a coyote wolf cross too, not very likely but it DOES happen.

Where is your cottage again? (thats where you saw the canine right?) I believe they descovered a new sub species of wolf a few years ago, one that has reddish points like a coyote, but is much larger (Canis lupus lycaon I think it is). I don't know if their range extends where you are though, as I believe they're mostly near Algonquin park.[/quote]

I found these (yay for google!) pics of an eastern wolf

This one's young, so they do get larger.

[img]http://www.mcelroy.ca/bushlog/images/10a-4501.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/intermed/images/AlgonquinWolf202.jpg[/img]

Whatever it was, I think thats awesome! There used to be a coyote hanging around the dog park, she lives there for about two years before gteting hit by a car. Sad, but the city isen't a great place for coyotes. She never attacked any dogs though, she would actually play with them.

they wont usually take on a dog or dogs close to their own size, unless they're desperate, but little dogs and cats get snatched all the time, so you have to be careful. a really hungry one might try to take yours on, but at that weight thats not likely. seems pretty well fed.

not a coyote at that size, more likely a wolf.