Dogomania

bad news..altho not unexpected

courtnek

PushyCat's kidneys are bad/failing...it finally showed up in tests, altho I have suspected it for a long time.

he is now on a low protein diet and some meds...but he is 18....hopehe hangs in there forever, but I know he wont..

I have a real problem with this. I've had this cat for 17 years...thru my son growing up (he cut his whiskers with baby scissors) thru Free, now thru Laurel..and and Ford...I am having a harder time with this then any other pet, because of all the emotions involved...and the time, and the memories..

:cry: :cry:

sorry to hear :cry: Last year I went through the same thing with my family's 17 year old cat. Fluid had entered her lungs and she was having a heard time breathing, and her heart wasnt doing so great either, we decided it was best for Midnight to put her down peacefully.

It was really hard for me, I had pretty much grown up with that cat, I had her since I was 3 years old, I didnt know what it was like not having her around. But i know she was old and I know we did the best for her.

[quote name='BuddysMom']I'm sorry to hear this :cry:

Is sub-q fluids part of his treatment?

Gladysse is doing amazing with them. PM if you want details. Of course, you / your evt may have already ruled it out, but I had to ask because it has done wonders for her.[/quote]

he didnt feel the need for them yet. PC drinks a lot as it is and always has. they are hoping the low protein and pepsid AC type stuff will help him get a lttle better....but they told me while we could extend his time and make him comfy, the end will come eventually. he seems fine, he still plays, but he's just very skinny. he eats well if I soften up his food and mis it with canned, and tuna and salmon. he can only eat the fish now, chicken and beef and such dont stay down....most of his nutrition is coming from the dry.

thanks everyone for caring so much. I may become a basket case when he goes, so dont be surprised. I love all of my animals, of course, but there is just something about his pigheaded attitude, his "my-way-or-the-highway" personality, and the fact that he was almost dumped that endears me to him

thanks again...

8)