Dogomania

For all you multiple dog owners

pyrless

Hey everyone-
first of all sorry i have not been around much-things are going on...(yeah, like you miss my sparkling wit! :D )
Anyway.
My husband and I have a chance to adopt a rescue Pyr, male, 2 yrs., who has been in rescue for about ten months now. (We are quite involved in pyr rescue and the pyr club). We have the room and the resources. We also have three dogs, the two females must be separated in the house and supervised outside. What is the difference between 3 and 4? Can some of you with experience give me an objective opinion?
Thanks. He needs a home and we have one, I just want to make the most informed decision.

Alan said it perfectly, if you have the time, space, money and can give everyone the attention and training they need, then go for it.
Besides, once you get past two, it's really easy to keep adding on :lol: .

The only thing that you may want to consider is the rescue aspect of it. You said you're involved with the Pyr rescue, do you foster for them, and if you do, will you be able to do so in the future? As someone who does rescue, that is something that I always dread, losing a foster family because the "keep'em fairy" knocked on their door :angel: !

No ma'am, we do not foster them, all of the rescues, due to the somewhat singular nature of the Pyr, are fostered and evaluated for six months by one woman, who really really knows what she is doing.
Because of the two girls not getting along inside, we have had to learn to pay attention to individual time with them, which could be a blessing in disguise. And while I don't want to say that "money is no object", our dogs and their activities and stuff is where our extra income goes, our choice.
I am just nervous I guess. My husband is of the same idea you are, Lokipups, adding on after two is not so bad!

that's what we were thinking too. He is such a sweetie, just a big goofy love. i hate to see him there with no home. He had a home at one time, the rescue group got him from a shelter. When the shelter picked him up he had tags on. They called the owners and they didn't want him anymore. "Too big". :cry:

I was worried about adding number 3 (Pooh Bear), but it's actually easier having 3 than it was having 2 sometimes. I can take one of the kids out with me, and there are still 2 at home to keep each other company. I like to take Jackie out to the barn with me, but felt bad doing it too much when Maya had to be alone while we were gone.

If you know that you have the facilities, time and money to take care of another dog, I say go for it!

yeah, there is so much hair now it doesn't even faze me anymore! i am glad to hear that 3 to 4 is not that big of a thing from you guys. Personally, I think the ideal situation would be a 5-7 year old pyr (would have to be male) to kind of bring down the energy level a bit.
I will keep you posted of course. It will be kind of a process I am sure. I just want to help them. :wink: