Dogomania

Squirrel Urges

schippsmom

:Dog_run:

Thought that was a cute name for squirrel stories. Bunnie stories are also welcome.

Being a typical dog, Re-Run likes to chase the squirrels as much as any other dog. Fun, fun, run outside towards the rodent and watch it take off like a rocket up a tree. Well, Re must have scared the crap out of one squirrel. He started chasing it and it ran to one tree, stopped and then to another tree and another with Re hot on his tail and all of a sudden, the squirrel stopped and just sat there and waited to be caught. Poor thing.

Well Re-Run couldn't stop quick enough and he also sat there probably 10 feet from the squirrel, just looking at it. I was watching and wondering what what was gonna happen next. Re looked at me then back to the squirrel and got up, stood there and next thing I know, he came over to me and wanted inside.

Two days ago, it had to be the same squirrel, was in the yard and basically the same thing happened. I guess if it's not on the move, Re wants nothing to do with it.

That it was cute and figured I'd share. Anyone else have strange chase games happen??

Well at training earlier this year, there was one session where they brought in the bunny, and you would get your dog to sit and lay down and such. Yeah, ok, with a field dog whose brain listens to his nose before anything else in the world (even chicken!! :o ), this little excerisize didnt work to well. :lol: Atleast 5 minutes straight of dead staring at the bunny. No movement. No blinking. We finally had to take the bunny back outside, but then it was constant clawing at the door "needing" to go outside. Silly pupperz. :lol: :lol:

Free is bad, if it runs and she can catch it, its history. that includes squirrels, possums, mice, and a raccoon. for which I almost had to have her quarantined. because of that, I shot it. it was acting so weird I wanted it rabies testes, and it was causing major damage to my stupid, "aint givin' up" Lab X....

*sigh*

Jackie is a born hunter. When she sees a squirrel or bunny, she will stalk it while being perfectly quiet. Jackie is VERY athletic and quick, so once she starts stalking something, it's usually curtains for the prey. Luckily, Jackie is so well behaved that if she starts stalking after something, I'll just say "Jackie, no" and she'll abandon the hunt. And if she does catch an animal and I see her with it in her mouth, I'll say "Jackie, no" and she'll drop it, even if she's on the other side of the yard. I always stop the hunts when I see them happening, but since she's so quiet, sometimes she'll get something before I see that she was hunting it.

On the other hand, when Pooh Bear or Maya see a squirrel, they just start barking at it. I don't think they could ever actually catch anything because they're too noisy! LOL

Jackie, who is the sweetest, most well-behaved dog I've ever had in my life, has killed 3 squirrels, 2 rabbits, 1 bird (which she caught in mid-flight!)and a few baby somethings.

Pooh Bear has killed a few inanimate objects in the house, but nothing that was ever alive-LOL.

Maya's never killed anything either.

It does make it easier to only have one natural hunter in the family!

Oh, I just remembered a funny story about Jackie on one of her hunts. She had been playing with a squeaky ball when she saw a squirrel in a tree. She stealthily ran over to the fence line and sat there perfectly still. She forgot that she still had the squeaky ball in her mouth, and she inadvertently squeaked it a few times while staring down the squirrel, before she realized she was squeaking and then dropped the ball. I think she was real embarrassed. LOL

Jackie went out to the barn with me today and had a blast while I was riding my horse, Jerry.

When we got home, I opened up the car door for her and she ran right to the bushes where there was either a squirrel or a rabbit. She was in full hunting mode. She chased whatever it was over to the side of the house and luckily it was able to hide behind some stuff there. I have some garbage cans and a bunch of branches that came off my tree next to the house.

When she took off after her prey, I yelled "Jackie, NO!", which usually stops her right away. But she was in the moment! I was glad that her prey managed to outwit her!