Dogomania

Update on Pooh Bear's barking problem

JackieMaya

Pooh Bear is doing great! When I let the pups out in the morning and after I get home from work (12:30 a.m.), I have Pooh Bear on a very long retractable leash so he can still move around the yard but I can control his squirrel urges-LOL. He's just great on the retractable leash, and even if the girls run off after a squirrel, he stays with me and doesn't bark. If he wants to start playing with the girls, I'll unsnap his leash, and as long as he's being quiet he can be off leash. But if he barks at all he goes right back on the leash.

And I let him run free in the fenced yard in the afternoon. I take their coveted treat jar out with me, and if he starts running after something (a squirrel of course), I say "Pooh Bear come" and shake the treat jar and he stops in his tracks and comes running back to me. And if he starts barking at something, I say "Pooh Bear quiet" and shake the jar and he stops barking and comes running up to me. He sits to get his treat. Now that I found out that he loves veggies, I either give him a baby carrot as a treat or one or two pieces of dry dog food.

So his barking training is coming along great!

How could anyone get mad at this face!
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VwCbAksa!3gU8Y5MeJW*jV9PSS!M41oLXSbxSQDc8i66GmQxz1BWWPSydB3tEeTjM8DRztlCxcElEJNKapclWeTHzL8cqj6Jbdm*ah0Db7HqHXcwpcBPOjCvEDbOdD9*/Canon%200021.jpg?dc=4675520631922086502[/img]

he is a cutie....glad its all working out. I too am curious if the bitchy neighbor is still complaining. now that he's stopped barking, make sure she doesnt find something else to rant about.

some people.....ok I realize maybe they dont like dogs, and they dont have to, but they have no right to demand other people not have them because they dont like them. My son is all grown up and I no longer care to hear babies crying and little kids screaming...and I have little kids and babies on all sides of me. I dont have the right to tell them to make their kids shut up during normal every day hours, so I dont think people should have the right to make dogs shut up for occasional barking incidents.

all day and non stop is one thing, but not for just once in a while...

I haven't had any more complaints from the dog-hating neighbor.

And what's really funny is that this afternoon I had the three kids in the back yard, and Pooh Bear was off his leash and being a wonderful boy, no barking or anything. But there was a flock of big black birds in my trees, and they were WAY louder than Pooh Bear ever was! I'm surprised the neighbor didn't yell for me to shut the birds up! LOL