Dogomania

Recall= nothing!!

Sharpeigirl

:evil: :evil: Right now I'm not at all happy with Sassy. :evil: :evil:

I swear to god she just loves to ignore me, every word I say to her she just looks the other way. Once again she got loose, and once again she didn't come back on her own.. So I had to track her through the woods, and down the middle of the street.. All the while I'm yelling come, stay, no!!! Bah stupid little bitch doesn't listen.. And I've worked & worked with her in the yard with the long line on come! I don't know what else to do. Put a electric collar on her & everytime she heads to the door give her a zap? I'm completely lost!!

No point being angry at Sassy. She is doing what most dogs do – if they get out they run off and explore, and if you are angry at here whilst trying to get her back you know there is no chance of her wanting to come to you.

I know I mentioned this last time you posted about this – my dogs have a great recall in a controlled environment but if they got out they wouldn’t come back till they had run and sniffed in all the neighbors yards etc..

Practicing her recall is a great thing and I’m not suggesting you stop working on it with her, but instead of focusing on what to do when she gets out, how about working on stopping her getting out as it seems to happen more than what I would consider normal. :-?

Yea, I know! The one who keeps letting her out doesn't care. She takes advantage of his stupidity & lack of effort to stop her. My grandpa doesn't make her get back when he goes out the door, so out she goes every damn time. And he'll just laugh when she runs off. I don't know who to get pissed off at. My grandparents or the dog.. I've had words with him more then you can believe! And I'm not plesant either. I do not want to see her hurt or killed by his lack of care!!

When Maya has jumped the fence, it's very hard to catch her too. She'll run up just about to me, say hi with a big smile on her face and then turn back and finish having fun. I think the Husky in her gives her the urge to roam. She always goes back to the next block, but I have to go get her in my car. Unless you can get her cornered, she won't let you catch her on foot. So I feel for you.

This is off topic but I can't help it I have soft spot for my grandparents and it saddened me that you called your grandpa stupid. :( My grandpa wasn't perfect by any means but I just was raised to believe that you show your grandparents and extra amount of respect and it saddens me that you don't. It's your dog and you have to protect the dog anyway possible and that includes making sure grandpa doesn't get a chance to let her out.

When I first got Jackie (two months before my dad passed away from cancer), she snuck past him several times when he would open the door, and at that time she would run once she got out the door (I can take her outside off-leash with no problem whatsoever now). So I gave my dad some training lessons on how to keep Jackie back from the door when he would open it. And I had him practice a few times while I was watching. After that, he never let her sneak past him. Maybe you could give your grandpa some lessons in how to keep Sassy back from the door. My dad was happy to have me show him how to do it.

I have lived with different roommates and my dogs. Some you can trust, some you can't. With one roommate I pretended he wasn't there in respects to the dogs so if I wasn't around the dogs were in their crates or gated in the kitchen even if he was around. Is something like that possible for you?

[quote name='Doberfanatic']What you need is an Emergency Recall word. Pick a word (not come, or here, or anything that you usually use) and use it only to call her in emergency situations.

Here's the key in teaching it. You must practice first in a controlled environment - that means you have to have her on something like a long rope, say 20 feet. Shout your word (for example: "Sassy! Danger!") and when she comes, have an absolutely awesome treat wating. Not only do you need a treat waiting, but you need to make it last for 30 seconds. So if it's a slice of bologna or something, rip it up in small pieces and feed them to her one at a time, for 30 seconds.

BTW, if she doesn't come to you when you shout the word, pull her to you on the long lead and give her a treat.

Don't repeat this exercise more than 3 times a day. 3 times a day a few days a week, and you should have a reliable emergency recall. Don't forget to make the treat good (better than any regular training treat) and don't forget to make it last a long time (30 seconds at least).

Wash, rinse, repeat. Don't use the word unless you intend to give her a big treat. My dog Kira can be anywhere - being distracted by nearly anything (people will even feed her bits of food and pet her to distract her) and when I shout the word she comes running. Works like a charm.

Now I'm not gonna say that this is completely fool proof. There could come a time when something in the world is just MORE tempting that even an amazing emergency recall treat. But those things are few and far between. Your emergency recall word, if practiced correctly, should produce an excellent recall for you to use in these emergency situations.[/quote]

I think we'll try that with Carson! He'll come 70% of the time, but when we reaaaaaaally need him to, he doesnt. :-? Thanks for the advice!

I have my reasons for dislikeing my grandpa.. He's a very cold, hatefull person.. ANd he could give a rats ass about Sassy.. And today I left her crated when I went to work with strict instructions of do not let her out.. Came home, and she was uncrated :evil: I try to be nice, and kind to him, but he just calls me some rude name, and does it his way.. I'm really tired of his additude towards me, and the dog..

Thanks for the tips DO, Mal & Dobber.

I agree with dober...sassy is not safe with your GF, and he appears to be making every attempt to thwart your control over your dog. this is not unusal, especially in the situation you describe, where your GF doesnt respect your wishes and seems to think he knows it all.My dad was like that. I would lock Sassy's crate. the chance of a fire is much less then the chance of his letting her out, and I secretly suspect he is doing it deliberately. he may be of the old world mindset that all dogs should run free. stop him from being able to do it, but know he may bitch about it.

I may seem snotty with this reply, and I'm sorry, it's been a bad day..

I'm trying to save money to move out on my own. But I had to use part of my saveings to pay for Sassy's vet bills... No one really understands who my grandpa is... He has a problem with anger, he always has. One wrong word & he goes off.. Today while I was at work. I did something I've never done with Sassy. I put her in the pen in the backyard.. I felt horriable doing it. But it was the only way.. And if I do move, how will I be able to know if the apartment will allow dogs??? What will I do then? I can't take Zeus with me when I go, he needs room to run.. I can handle Sassy, but money is a huge issue.. That is my biggest battle right now is money to get out. God I don't want to be lectured on how I live my life, I just want to see my dog stay safe.. That's why I asked for help. To train her not to bolt out the door at the slightest chance. Not to be grilled about why I don't move.. What is it people don't understand about not being able to afford moveing??

I don't think anyone grilled you SPG. All they did was ask and advise.

[quote]And if I do move, how will I be able to know if the apartment will allow dogs???[/quote]

Just ask when you call to find out if renting space is available etc.

I don't think you should feel bad about putting Sassy in a pen outside. I do that with Abby often, she likes being outside, I think it's better than keeping her cooped up inside when I'm gone. And I think you would feel even worse if Sassy got hit by a car because you felt bad about putting her in the pen instead.
How large is the pen? If she has water and toys I don't see what the problem is with keeping her in there while you're out. :)

I don’t know if I understand the situation correctly. Is you Grandpa leaving the door open and Sassy seeing the opportunity just decides to take herself on a little adventure. Or is she forcing her way out the door whenever it is opened in the normal course of day to day activities?

My Grandpa loves to stand with the door standing wide open when he comes in or goes out. I'm like hurry up & shut the door!! Then he say's don't tell me what to do.. And that just starts an arguement.. I could get low income houseing, in a studio apartment, but they don't allow dogs over 35 lbs.. And Sassy is 75.. It's either keep my dog in my room when I'm not home, so she doesn't have the chance, or leave her outside in her Pen, which is 6ft X 8ft. It's under a large tree, she has a full bucket of water, food, and a nice sized dog house to get into. Found out from a neighbor, that she barked for about an hour this morning. It could be since it's a big trasition to being outside more. I'm really trying to make things better for myself & my dogs.. I just worry about them being treated right when I'm not there.. in 2 months I start a new job, so it's opening up a whole new world... But I worry. Zeus has the run of the yard. Wouldn't it be fair to switch them off every so offten? So Sassy can have yard time, and Zeus is in the pen.. I still have to have them apart when I'm not their to watch them... I've thought of maybe starting to train Sassy about 15-20 mins a day so she's more responive to me. I admit I slacked off on her training. But I have to face grandparents going against what I say. Blah. I'm just rattling on now.

As others have said, improper use of a shock collar can easily cause more problems than a dog started with (how'd you feel if you were being corrected for something and didn't even know what it was you were doing or where the correction was coming from?), you need to have good timing and a good trainer to demonstrate when/how to best use it or you can really screw up your dog's head. I think your expectations are a bit unrealistic (out of 5 dogs, we have ONE that will only go out a door when invited, though the others are usually not door bolters, if they see what they perceive as an invitation, they'll go) with the way your grandfather is behaving. It's your responsibility to keep her safe and out of trouble, irregardless of how you must do it.

As an example, I can't leave Goo loose in the house with any windows/doors open when I leave due to her animal aggression, so I either close everything up, or put her in my room, in which windows are opened only from the top, and not enough for her to get out, and the bottom panes are covered with grates in case she should decide to try to go through one again. There are times when she'd probably rather stay lounging on the couch, but if she got out and into trouble, she'd be in a 1000 times worse situation than snoozing in my room waiting for me to get home.

This doubly applies to you, as not only is Sassy at risk of being hit by a car, but due to her aggression, other people and their pets are at risk too when she gets out. One of the responsibilities of owning a dog (or human for that matter) aggressive dog is making sure that they're always contained in a manner to keep them from being able to harm others, whether that be kennel, secure yard, room, crate, whatever. Unless you can make absolutely sure that she will not escape from the yard (grandfather?), I would keep her in the kennel, with locks both on it and the gates for the yard, to prevent her from getting out and others from getting in.

[quote name='Sharpeigirl']My Grandpa loves to stand with the door standing wide open when he comes in or goes out. I'm like hurry up & shut the door!! Then he say's don't tell me what to do..[/quote]

OK I'm about to tell you "how to live your life" so you can stop reading right here if you can't take it.

Don't talk to a grandparent like that. Basic human decency ... honor your parents, doubly so your grandparents. Period. It is not up to you to decide whether they "Deserve" it or not. I sound like an old lady but what is this world coming to?

[quote name='BuddysMom'][quote name='Sharpeigirl']My Grandpa loves to stand with the door standing wide open when he comes in or goes out. I'm like hurry up & shut the door!! Then he say's don't tell me what to do..[/quote]

OK I'm about to tell you "how to live your life" so you can stop reading right here if you can't take it.

Don't talk to a grandparent like that. Basic human decency ... honor your parents, doubly so your grandparents. Period. It is not up to you to decide whether they "Deserve" it or not. I sound like an old lady but what is this world coming to?[/quote]

BM, I don't actually agree. Respect needs to be earnt, just because you are old you don't automatically get it.

I presonally do respect my parents and grandparents but they have earnt it and deserve it. However, if they were doing something that was endangering one of my dog's lifes and just didn't care then I would talk to them about it how I bloody well want.

[quote name='Malamum'][quote name='BuddysMom'][quote name='Sharpeigirl']My Grandpa loves to stand with the door standing wide open when he comes in or goes out. I'm like hurry up & shut the door!! Then he say's don't tell me what to do..[/quote]

Don't talk to a grandparent like that. Basic human decency ... honor your parents, doubly so your grandparents. Period. It is not up to you to decide whether they "Deserve" it or not. I sound like an old lady but what is this world coming to?[/quote]

BM, I don't actually agree. Respect needs to be earnt, just because you are old you don't automatically get it.

I presonally do respect my parents and grandparents but they have earnt it and deserve it. However, if they were doing something that was endangering one of my dog's lifes and just didn't care then I would talk to them about it how I bloody well want.[/quote]

Well, you have a point. Still I do think grandparents deserve some respect just by virtue of being your elders, they don't have to earn it. I see a vicious cycle here here of "kid" mouths off to gramps, he gets pissed and responds with stubbornness. I can't say that I NEVER mouthed off to my grandparents, but it never was a habit. And two of them were mighty grumpy.

BM, I have never ever spoken rudely to any of my Grandparents but there has never been any need. In Crystal’s defence, I think it’s justified in her case. Her Grandfather just doesn’t seem to care that Sassy gets out and refuses to do what he can to prevent it. There have been quite a few posts about this in the past and from what I can gather it’s a bit past her asking him nicely to be more careful.