Dogomania

hip dysplasia

Yoladybug

My sister has a brittany spaniel that she got from a breeder. He's about 4 years old. The breeder supposedly did health testing and everything (I really know nothing about this, but my sister says that her dog's parents did not have any hip problems). He started limping about a week ago, so the vet took x-rays and said it looked like hip dysplasia. He's so young! I always thought that kind of thing showed up later in life, but again, I really don't know much about this, so I could be wrong.

Is there anything to do to stop the progression of the problem? The vet only suggested some sort of glucose supplement. Also, should she inform the breeder? I feel like maybe they should know that one of their dogs has such a serious problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions...hopefully there is something they can do to make things better for him. I feel so bad that he's in pain :(

Some dogs show HD before 6 months of age.
Yes, tell the breeder, not in an accusatory way but just because he/she may want to know.
HD can happen in dogs that have clear parents.
A glucosamine and chondroitan supplement is excellent. It improves the joint lubication and function to the point where some dogs show NO symptoms.
Even if your sister opts for surgery later, the glucosamine and chondroitine will reduce pain and damage in the mean time.
If pain medication is still required (after glucosimine and chondroitine) try yucca first perhaps, otherwise limited amounts of uncoated aspirin work well (preferably on a full stomache.)

courtnek -- i have rheumatoid arthritis which i realize is a bit different but have had great success with mild diet modification. there are a group of foods called nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) that seem to aggravate arthritic joints. i have eliminated eggplant, peppers, and most potatoes. i tried taking out one at a time and adding it back in to see what happened. what i found is that for me tomatoes don't flare my joints but peppers & eggplant do. if you search 'nightshades' on the web you will likely find many testaments. it's worth a try!

[quote name='courtnek']anyone have any suggestions for MY arthritis? not kidding, my hands are a mess, and glucosamine is contra-inidcated for diabetes...my doctor? (who I hate and am looking for another)says "tylenol....

:evil:[/quote]
I recently read that good quality olive oil has some of the same properties as ibuprophen (sp?), it acts as an anti inflammatory. For years the Mediterranean diet has been studied for its health benefits, olive oil figures heavily in such diets.

[quote name='Irena']i heard that american dog food companies don't put glucosamine anymore in there prodacts beacause it's considered now as a medicin, and therfore forbideen.
i don't know how true it is, can sombody who knows can confirm it?[/quote]

That's not true. I feed my kids Science Diet Light Large Breed food which has glucosamine in it.

I feed my dogs Wellness Lamb and it has glucosamine in it as well.

Taurus was diagnosed with HD last year at the age of 4.5 yrs old. We have found the Syn-Flex to be very helpful. He accidentally didnt receive it one night, and the next day he was very stiff, so we know it is defenitly doing the trick.

I would let the breeder know, as a good breeder should want to know about any and all cases of HD with their litters. Even if the parents both had good hips, their offspring can develop HD, and vice versa.

Good luck,

Kara