Dogomania

First Ever Somewhat Possesive Toy Behaviour

DogPaddle

Kavik needs LOTS of stimulation. I was cleaning out the basement today and didn't have the energy for several play sessions today so I played a bit and then took a toy, tied it to the upstairs railling leaving it hanging 3 1/2 feet off the ground. He rarely likes solitary games but seemed to enjoy this one. He tugged and pulled and batted and caught and tugged and pulled till he ripped it down, 10 min later.

Kavik usually needs more play then that so I figured I'd toss the toy for a few more minutes and go back to work. So I tell him "Bring it here" he does but doesn't drop it in my lap or hand but on the ground and then lies down with his chest on it and put his head down low. He didn't growl or act aggresive or anything and allowed me to reach in and take it - I guess he couldn't decide between obeying/cooperating and gaurding his hard earned prize.

So I finally found a game he likes to play on his own and that gives him a sense of satisfaction - a game he can win but isn't beating me at. I would like to keep letting him play it and just reinforce that I can take the toy whenever I'd like even if he has "earned" it but I'm wondering if anyone thinks this would be making a mistake.

(Why can I never make these things short. :oops: )

i work with a similar way with all my dogs, it called " pray drive ". the toy is the pray and the dogs needs to work hard in orter yo get his pray. he don't know when ho wi;; get his pray so he stay focus on the toy all the time to be able to grab the pray as soon as i give it to him.
he do'nt feel that he gives away his toy because we showed him that he will continio to get him back and it's his only way to keep playing with us.
actualy it's not our method, that way all working dog do there training

everyone is basically correct. this game didnt start out with you throwing the toy, which means you had it first, but your pup "winning" the toy back from the railing, like catching prey. so he became a little more possessive of it. he doesnt understand the space between you attaching the toy, and his getting catching it and taking it down.

Free is basically the same about giving a toy back she has stolen from Laurel. she "won" it, it should be hers.

now here is where NILIF helps alot. its not just rewarding themfor doing something, its pack training them to give you whatever you want, without argument. next time that happens, call your dog away from the toy and make him sit. and stay. stay is the most important part. if he wont do it, put a small lead on him ad gently tug him away from the toy. and secure him to a chair. . then go pick up the toy, keep it in your hand, and release him and tell him to come, and sit. THEN and only then, hand it to him and gell him he's good. a few practice sessions and he will have learned that even though HE caught it, its still yours. add the command "LEAVE it" when you pull him away.

just think of most married couples motto: What's mine is mine. What's YOURS is mine as well....

:lol: :lol:

Well he played the same game today and loves it and will play with the toy for, chewing on it for like 10 min all on his own afterwards. He still doesn't want to give it up really but won't fight me. I think a bit of reinforcement will work. I am delighted to finally have something he LIKES to do on his own. Don't get me wrong, I love how interactive he is, and I love taking him out and playing with him but he really needed to have at least one stimulating activity he will do on his own.