Dogomania

Airplanes & Dogs

HuggyBear

Have any of you travel with your dogs? Tell me your experience. I've read many articles on how dogs die aboard a plane, I just want to make sure if I should travel with my pets next time I go out of town. I'm also kinda skittish to kenneling or boarding my dogs, since I've heard stories dog's beinging overheated or escaping poochies from them.

I flew a dog Detroit to Denver once, out n=of necessity, she came out fine but it was obviously stressful.

I felt really awful about boarding until after I did it; granted I found a great kennel. I agree with the above, boarding is FAR preferable and flying sould only be used when absolutely necessary.

Guest Anonymous

I have flown dogs on several occasions. The airlines wont let you fly one if the temperature is above a certain degrees. I havent had anything happen to any of them but like the other two have said, it can be stressfull.

• 3 years later...

:(
If you are traveling with your puppy, make sure that your puppy rides with you in the cabin section of the plane and not the cargo area. Puppies do not travel well in the cargo areas but in the cabin you can soothe and keep your puppy comfortable with treats and since puppies remember experiences through association, you will make travel a positive experience instead of a stressful and fearful one. You do not want your puppy traumatized because that can be a problem that can last throughout it's whole life, so again I cannot stress how important it is to keep your puppy safe with you in cabin. Doing these few important and simple things can help keep your dog or puppy intact, unafraid, and happy during their flight!
[I][U][B]
Best luck for your traveling. :(:(
[/B][/U][/I]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Last summer I went to Miami from NY with my dog, to visit my family. All you have to do is call the airline and tell them you are traveling with your pet. Then you have to go to the vet and make some medical exams.
You also have to ask the policy of the airline, because if it's a little dog it can travel with you in the main cabin. If you have a big dog it have to travel in the cargo hold.

Best luck for your traveling!!:smile: