Dogomania

Nightmare day today (long post)

Canis erectus

For starters, I've not been around for a few weeks now, I've been busy and things have not been going smoothly. Hannah and I had to go to Maryland for a week and a half to sort through her mother's house (she died a year ago). That was 11 days of long-ass car rides, crazy baby-sitting duties, digging through dust and mouse poo, and getting chock full of ticks fleas and chiggers.

All of this was in the middle of trying to close on our new house. Which we finally did 3 days ago, but not whithout some hellacious snags (which probably happens to every first time buyer, but that comforts me little). I still have a whole lot of work to do in the next couple weeks as far as working on the house and getting moved so I probably won't be regular here again for a little longer.

So, to the point...

My girls ended up missing today, and let me give you the details because I think something is fishy about the whole deal.

My plan was to go over to the new house today to finish up sanding the floors. Hannah worked last night so she's be sleeping for the first part of the day and we had to have the rental sander back to Lowe's at 2:30. So the idea was for me to put Alina down for a nap at noon and then head to the new house to do what I needed to do there while Hannah and Alina were sleeping. I left at 12:30 after packing the car with some closet stuff to take to the new house. When Hannah finally showed up at the house at about 2:30 (late as usual) she asked me where the dogs were, thinking that I took them with me because she didn't see them when she got up. The girls are sometimes really good at blending into the background so I wasn't too concerned at first, all the same we loaded up the sander and swung by the old house just to double check. And sure enough, they weren't there.

Now I was upset, and puzzled at the same time, I can't figure out how they got out and I know they were both there when I left. As usual Zoey asked to be let into the bedroom about mid-morning to take a nap (I keep the door shut while Hannah sleeps). And I had let China outside for a bit while Alina ate her lunch. When I went into the bedroom to get my boots and go I didn't take any notive as to whether or not Zoey was there, but I sure she was sleeping hidden away in the corner at the foot of the bed where she always does. I distinctly remember calling China into the house when I closed and locked the back door because I scowled at her when she looked at me as if she expected something to eat when I went into the fridge to grab a soda to take to the house with me. And then I left, I closed the front door, I always lock it without thinking about it so I can't say for certain whether I actually did or not.

So then the dogs went missing sometime between 12:30 and 1:15 (when Hannah got up). Lacking anything better to do at the time, I sent Hannah to return the sander and then cruise the neighborhoods in the car while I grabbed the leashes and went out on foot. I left the backyard gate open and went down every street in a two block radius and no one that I talked to had seen them (which was strange because Zoey will always find people). After that I humped it over to the dog park to see if they may have decided to take themselves. Didn't find them there, but I did find someone else's dog just outside the park. He looked like he could be a Basset Hound/Husky-type mix and I couldn't find an owner for him so I snapped a leash on him and decided that I could leave him in my backyard and take him to the address on his tag later. On the way back to my house we came past a house whose family was picknicking on their front lawn, and so where their dogs. the dogs were unleashed and came over to cause a ruckus (yeesh, it never ends), and after the owner got them under control I ended up talking to the people. I told them I was looking for my dogs, a husky mix and a Borzoi mix, and of course they hadn't seem them. And then the grandma pipes up and just in passing says that she did see a shepherd and an afghan a little earlier in the afternoon. Close enough for me, and after giving a detailed description I was able to determin that those were my dogs, sighted somewhere around 1:00 and in a whole other part of town about 3 miles straight line from our house (and across a VERY busy 4 lane road).

So I humped it back home after a brief stop at the new house so that my stray could get a drink of water from the toilet. it was sometime after 3:30 when I got back to the house. I called Hannah's cell phone to have her pick me upand we'd go scour the other neighborhood, but she said she already had them and was driving around looking for me.

Now hang on with me here because things are getting stranger. Here's the story Hannah told me: After dropping off the sander she came home to pick up the spare leash and then went to all of the immediate neighbors' to ask if they saw or heard anything. She then drove around for awhile (nobody she talked to saw them either) and then came back to the house to call the police. Cops said they had a report from someone who picked up two dogs and told her to check the pound because that's where the woman said she was taking them. Hannah got to the pound at about 3:00, just as the woman was trying to coax China out of her car so she could put her in a holding pen.

This woman (who it turns out happens to be a frequent client at the clinic I work at) says that she came home at 1:00 and saw her next door neighbors trying to round up China (who would have none of that) while they had Zoey tied up in their yard. The woman knew something was wrong with that situation, and being her blessedly nosey self, sje atarted in on her neighbors trying to find out what was really going on. At one point they said that they found the girls running stray and tried to take them to the vet but they were closed. The woman asked if they were going to call animal control, to which they replied that they wouldn't and the dogs would find their own way home. Yet they had Zoey tied up in their yard while at the same time trying to catch China. :-?

Canis! come back! this is like a suspense movie that plays over two nights.....arrgghhhhh

I'm glad they're safe and sound, but you're right, it doesnt add up.
they werent going to call AC? yet they tried to capture them both and had Zoey tied up? yet they were gonna get home on their own somehow?

how did they get out? and who was the woman who took them to the pound? I'm confused....

:oops:

hello? canis? CA-NIS? *gulp* do you think the skunk axe murderer got him? makes perfect sense -- let the dogs out so that he has no fear of being eaten. then he chewed the cable and phone wires to cut all ties to help. that's why he was having puter problems and now can't connect. i think someone should go check on him *pushes jess to the front of the line*

[size=2]seriously tho (if that is possible for me) i hope nothing bad has happened besides a botched internet connection![/size]