Dogomania

Another reason to hate Animal Rights wacos...

Seijun

Activist: We Need More Deadly Hurricanes
By Brian Carnell
Thursday, September 1, 2005

This week, of course, the major news is the ongoing disaster in New Orleans where Hurricane Katrina has forced the evacuation of the city and likely killed thousands of people. And if animal rights activist Rick Bogle had his way, there would be many more Katrinas.

On an animal rights mailing list devoted to primate research, Bogle posted a link to Tulane's main web site, noting there was no mention yet of the status of the university's primate research center, Covington.

Animal rights activist Jean Barnes replied to that e-mail to the effect that she had talked to a USDA official who said there were no primate deaths at Tulane, but that there were other animals that were stuck in the facility.

Bogle replied,

[i]If there were no primate deaths at Covington over the past few days, then this must be the first time in a long time that a monkey hasn't died. We need more Katrinas.[/i]

Barnes then replied,

[i]Katrina would need to extend to DC to be most effective.[/i]

Animal rights activists always get angry when their critics charge that they care more about animals than people, but Bogle and Barnes demonstrate the casual disregard for human beings that is characteristic of many activists. A hurricane that likely killed thousands of people and caused upwards of $50 billion in damages is a good thing, and would be even better if it would land elsewhere.

Source:

Primfocus: Tulane. E-mail messages, Jean Barnes and Rick Bogle, September 1, 2005.

His first sentence was great.

"If there were no primate deaths at Covington over the past few days, then this must be the first time in a long time that a monkey hasn't died."

His next statements reveal him to be a hideous A-hole who does not deserve the right to speak for animal lovers anywhere.

dont get me started...

the ARA say:

People should not own pets. All animals should be free...

yes, Free, to run across city streets and get hit by cars.
to form packs and make more puppies with no where to go.
to raid garbage because they are starving.
to freeze to death in the winters here, because they arent wolves, and werent bred to live oustide...

Zoos should be banned, its cruel.

GOOD zoos ( and the ones here are) are looking to replenish the wildlife and return them to their natural habitats. they use the money from the exhibits to do so. WE caused them to start dieing out in the first place. the good zoos try to correct and give back.

the good zoos also research the things that are killing them, outside of mans exploration and exploitation.

so every human that dies is a good thing? and every gorilla that doesnt is also? who will take care of them, groom them, train and then release them to their natural lives, that we have polluted for decades????

DONT get me started...

:roll: :roll:

Zoos are fine but I do think there is a lot of unnecessary research done with lab animals. I wish PETA would keep their fight to cruel and unnecessary animal testing, and factory farming. They should mind their own damn business about whelther I own pets, visit zoos, wear leather, and eat meat. Also some animal testing may be vital for advances in human medicine ... (that's a tough one for me) ... but that which the cosmetics companies do, and anything with dogs, cats, and primates I am against.

Guest Mutts4Me

I don't know how many "good" zoos there are, but I suppose that depends on your definition of "good." I'm not going to go on and on with the "animals shouldn't be stuck in cages" routine, although I've got plenty of issues with that, too. But I really don't think that zoos do a whole lot of breeding to replenish wildlife in their natural habitats. They continue to breed to preserve the species, but in many cases there is no habitat to return them to, and even if there is, it's not safe. Wildlife preserves in India and other areas are continuing to breed native tigers, for instance, to keep the native species alive. But the species is so endangered because of habitat destruction and incredible amounts of poaching, and re-stocking the areas with new tigers isn't going to change that because those tigers are just going to be killed as well. But the programs over there continue, and maybe they'll find sucess eventually. But programs over here don't seem all that conducive to re-releasing wildlife. Sure, they keep an active gene pool going on, but I can't help but theink it's a bit too active.

Something like lions and tigers that can reproduce fairly easily in captivity don't need to be bred like crazy by zoos, but they are, because people love to see cute tiger cubs. So they keep making cute tiger cubs. No one stops to think about what happens to the not-so cute, not so young adult tigers when the zoo has the option of getting so cute, money making cubs. IF they're not cute, and they're not going to be bred, then they're of no use to the zoos. They're deemed "surplus" animals and brokered out. What the brokers do with the animals is of no concern to the zoos, because they're making money both ways - selling the old cat and bringing in more money with the new cat. Most surplus zoo animals go to auctions and are integrated into the exotic pet trade or else bought up for use in canned hunts or else body parts that sell for amazingly high prices on the black market.

Of course, my big thing, the thing that makes the "conservation" efforts of zoos laughable is the continued breeding of "rare" white tigers by zoos. The white gene is brough about by inbreeding, causing high infant mortality rates in cubs, disfigurement in others, but zoos keep doing it because it brings in money. Everyone loves white tigers, everyone's going to want to go see the new white tiger cub at the zoo. But not only are they purposely producing genetic mutations, they're producing something with no conservational value. White tigers died out in the wild a long time ago because they could not survive. Their coloring makes it very easy for their prey to spot them and flee, and it also makes it easy for hunters to spot them and shoot. Yet they continue to be bred in the name of conservation. Laughable, except it's not funny.