Dogomania

I am going to SLAP MY NEIGHBOR upside the head!!!

courtnek

I have told him REPEATEDLY...not to have his kids climb the fence to get their balls out of my yard....I have given him my number, and my cell phone, and said "come to the door if I dont answer. I will get the balls for you..." my dogs wont hurt him, but I want to teach them to not do this. someone elses dog MIGHT...

one of his kids was in the yard when I let the dogs out., couldnt see him from the door. of course, Free runs right up, and scares the crap outta the poor kid...Laurel runs up as well, but stands still...the kid bursts out in tears.....

I took him aside and explained why he should never climb a fence to get a ball in a household where there are dogs...just to be safe....

he petted Free and Laurel, and went on his way (again, over the fence)

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PARENTS???

if my dogs were dangerous, **I** would be the one held responsible...

I just got off the phone with his dad, who's ears are ringing, I'm sure. HOW MANY times do I have to tell you NOT to let your kids do this?
ARE YOU DEAF??????

MY dogs WONT hurt them...whos to say someone elses WONT?

ARRGGHHHHHHH

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='courtnek']
I took him aside and explained why he should never climb a fence to get a ball in a household where there are dogs...just to be safe....

he petted Free and Laurel, and went on his way (again, over the fence)
[/quote]

See, there is where you made a big mistake. When your dogs ran to him I would have behaved as if his life is in mortal danger. I would have pretended as if the dogs are trained to attack. I would have shouted some command in a German or something that sounds like German to call them off and Iwould have told him to stand absolutely still, close his eyse and not say a word and frantically put them back in the house before they change their mind. Then drill in to his head how lucky he was that I was home and saw him in the yard so I could call them off just in time, and how close he came to being torn apart and eaten alive.

That would have scarred him for life and would have kept him off your property for a long long time.

Now he knows that your dogs are friendly and that they wont hurt him, so there is nothing to stop him from doing it again.

I might sound like a real jerk for saying this, but I would call the cops the next time the kid does this and see if they will come out to give them a talk about trespassing and how it is *AGAINST THE LAW*. Yeah, you'll really tick off the neighbors , but I think it's important for kids to learn things like this. And getting a scary little visit from the police might be a good toll for this.

Your dogs sound gentle, but how many stories are there of children who go into yards where the dogs are territorial and protective? Then when something happens to the kid, it is somehow all the dogs' fault! It shouldn't be all that difficult for them to keep their toys out of your yard anyways.

around here we have been told by the police that a "Beware of Dog" sign actually opens you up to liability, because you are openly admitting you have a dangerous dog. they suggested something like "Dog(s) In Yard", which is a flat statement. doesnt say the dogs are dangerous or not.

I am SOOOO sick of politically correct.....

the problem with these kids is that their backyard fence backs upto mine.
they play ball in the yard and it flies over the fence. I have told them that if the dogs are out that means I'm home. call me and I'll retrieve your toys for you. the littlest one comes to the door. the older two dont.

well, after reading all the replies I called the guy back and said "your kids are tresspassing....if they climb the fence again I WILL have to call the police, for their safety and my potential liability because of this...."

and he went off about how he wouldnt sue over something like that, blah blah blah....and I just said "not taking the chance. they climb over again and I'm calling the police. that makes YOU liable for disciplinary action because THEY are minors....."he said I was being "very unneighborly", so I said "your kids climbing my fence to get in my yard is both unneighborly, and ILLEGAL. They're tresspassing. keep them on YOUR side of the fence from now on...."

he walked away grumbling. this morning his wife caught me out in the yard and said she couldnt believe I had talked to "her Tom" that way....
so I just said "YOUR Tom, and YOUR kids are breaking the law. I have asked nicely repeatedly, and you have all ignored me, so now, if necessary, I will take it up in court. have a nice day" and I went inside with the dogs...

sheesh....its a simple concept. what part of NO do you not understand?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

[quote]I called the guy back and said "your kids are tresspassing....if they climb the fence again I WILL have to call the police, for their safety and my potential liability because of this...." [/quote]

Good for you! I hope that this will have a good result in keeping your property secure!

I made a sign, that says both

DOGS IN YARD

and underneath it

NO TRESSPASSING

and hung it up facing their yard but on my side of the fence.
also hung one on the main gate....

the police said this will cover my liability, since neither of my dogs are breed specific to so-called "attack dogs" and neither have shown any aggression towards the kids. he also said definitely call if they do it again. it will remain on record, so if something bad happens, they will know that I tried repeatedly to stop it.

sheesh......why are people so stupid?

:o :roll:

WOO HOO!!! I may have won this battle..the kids just showed up at the door to have a ball rescued....which I did.

they said dad (finally!@!!) said they cant climb the fence, but why not?
my dogs are nice to them...

I explained that yes, mine are, but not everyones elses were, and I didnt want them to get hurt....

they understood, and actually said "thanks for looking out for us..."

:D

[quote name='courtnek']they said dad (finally!@!!) said they cant climb the fence, but why not?
my dogs are nice to them...

[/quote]

I'm glad you won the battle, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard someone say. I mean, aside from the dogs being in the yard, does this man just not get the idea of boundaries and respecting them? "Why not?" :o

I hope no one ever asks me why I won't let their kids climb my fence. Because it's mine and I said so. :o

One kid did get bitten by one of my dogs several years ago when he climbed my fence. His family, rather than trying on the concept that maybe he shouldn't be climbing fences with strange dogs in the yard, called animal control on us and complained. He got in trouble; we didn't, since our dog wasn't at large and was current on her rabies vac. Thankfully, it was a pretty cool animal control officer. We did have to put signs on our fence after that, though, warning about dogs on the property... I reckon for the idiots that don't actually see the DOGS there.

As much as I hate government intervention in every aspect of our personal lives, there are just some days that I think people should have to pass a test and have a license to breed. :-?

There are a couple of kids (very nice kids by the way) who live two houses away with a Beagle. Anyway, I've let the older girl (she's probably around 10) come in with the dogs a few times. She's old enough that she won't get knocked down by my dogs, and they just love her. But she always asks if she can come in before she comes in. Her little brother is 4 years old, and wants to come in there, and told me that his mom and dad said he could go in my yard to play with my dogs (which I know they didn't-LOL). I told him that he couldn't come in my yard unless I invited him. At least their parents have taught them to respect other people's property and animals, unlike your neighbors.

See? I DO have some good neighbors!

If your neighbor needs more proof that things can go wrong, here's one for you... (And before someone with Pit Bulls yells at me, I know that they can be sweeties!!)

In the town next to mine, a 7-yr-old girl was out collecting money for a school fundraiser on Sunday. She went to the next-door neighbor's house, a VERY well-known friend of the family who usually had their pits out in the back yard, chained and fenced. The child was known to the dogs and had visited them often, but on Sunday, the dogs were off leash and on the front porch. When the girl came up, they attacked her, upper arm and lower leg torn down and well into the muscle, requiring 3 hours of surgery.

The dogs were pts and will be checked for rabies.

Tough lesson learned the hard way---for everyone.

agreed. and a lesson I dont want these kids to have to learn. Free doesnt like kids when on a leash, but is much more amiable when off it, and has known these kids for years. she always goes running up, brings her ball, tries to get them to play with her...Laurel just watches, but she's still kinda timid (Laurel as a guard dog is about as useful as free oxygen to a fish....however, her bay cows people. thats a laugh. If one of them would defend it would be Free)

I like these kids. they are ok kids, and I try to encourage that. I am just afraid they will think that because MY dogs are cool that ALL dogs are cool....and ALL dogs arent. that was the lesson I was trying to impart here.

8)