Dogomania

Aggressive sheltie

mad sheltie

My female 4yr old spayed sheltie is very bitter. She's been like this for the last 2 years; just within the last 6 months she's been snapping at me whenever I do something she doesn't like. Reaching for her collar, taking a forbidden item from her,(tissues, people food etc.), when putting her outside or whenever I'm doing something that draws her unwanted attention. Just today when I was outside she wanted to get in the way I told her to move, she came after me, snarling ..... I shouted," NO"! and she bit my pants leg. I retaliated and she stopped--- returning to normal like nothing happened.She also became like this with my dad, and rarely demonstrates this with my mom. This doesn't occur all the time. I think its a dominance issue, I'm the one that controls everything they do,(feeding,grooming etc.) yet she continues to challenge me eventhough I put her in her place each time. :x

Oh man you have gotten yourself into a bad situation. The shelties I have met including my own have been submissive, sensitive dogs. The above are so right you got to get her into training immediately. I don't think your actually putting her into her place or it wouldn't keep coming up. You said you retaliated, what do you mean by that? I assume you have never hit her.

[color=darkblue]Thanks everybody for the suggestions [/color]:)

We've taken her to the vet. The vet didn't find anything wrong with her except that she needs an attitude adjustment. Her behavior should've been stopped the first time it happened. We've been letting Trista get away with too many things for far too long. I can't take her to obedience classes because she panics and stresses out whenever she's around strange people and other dogs. Her personality is not typical of a sheltie, she's very independent, stubborn and territoral. The vet said I could train her myself by being very firm, patient and decisive with what I want her to do. Because of terrier-like temperament I can't train her like the average sheltie,she'll have to work for my attention/rewards and give a harsh, quick correction with a collar & leash if she doesn't submit. I also have to start training her like a Rottie or Bullmastiff instead of viewing her as a sensitive sheltie or spaniel.

[color=indigo]Its ironically funny because my other dog Ryo, an Akita, a breed known for aggression issues, has the bubbly, easygoing personality of a labrador and my supposably gentle, "innocent" sheltie has the complex, apathethic, obstinate temperament of a Chow Chow. [/color]:niedowiarek: