Dogomania

Owner trying to take dog back - can he????

wawrzaszek

He took ownership of a 5 month old boxer on August 20th. He is beautiful and we love him so much already, we can't believe what a wonderful dog he is. The owner's fiance had him in the paper due to him being in the military and was just sent to Iraq. She plans on going with him. She said she had told him that she was going to sell the dog as it was not fair to the dog. She called today to say she had contact with him and he is furious that she got rid of the dog. He said he didn't think she was serious. He wants the dog back. I have not been able to register him yet ( he is a boxer) as we need the transfer paperwork from the guy in Iraq. So now I don't know what to do!!! Do we have to return the dog, especially since he will not transfer the ownership papers? What are our options? Please help!!!

Well, your post is a bit confusing. Here is what I gathered: Dude just got sent to Iraq. You bought the dog from dude's fiance a week ago. If this is the case, I would probably just give the dog back. How would you feel if your fiance sold your dog without your express permission? What do you mean by register? Registering with AKC or registering with your city? If it was me I would just give the dog back, its not like this happened years ago. If I misunderstood the situation, please clarify it. And welcome to dogomania!

Yes you got the idea. Part of me says yes we should give him back, but then I am so upset, we just fell head over heels for this dog. My 8 year old has been crying all afternoon since he saw me get off the phone with the girl who sold him to us. The other issue is - she doesn't have the money to pay us back and won't for another week or so, as she had to spend the money on bills. So I am a little shy of this whole thing. I don't want this to turn into anything ugly. I am trying to talk to my son and explain we will be able to get another dog, but that is not making it any easier on him.

[quote name='Michele'][quote]I don't want this to turn into anything ugly[/quote]

Give the dog back now before your son gets even more upset. When the woman gets the money, I'm sure she will give you your money back. In the meantime, why don't you take your son to the animal shelter and see if he wants to pick out another companion...[/quote]

I agree that you should give the dog back now. Like MeiMei said, there are lots of wonderful dogs in shelters waiting for forever homes. It would be the right thing to do under these circumstances.

That was the original reason she said that she wanted to get rid of the dog. She was going overseas with her fiance, and didn't want to tramatize the dog with moving around and alot of airplanes. Now she says they won't have to move around, once they get there they won't be stationed anywhere else. Not sure how she can think anything with this war is stable or a quarantee.... Anyways I will require re-payment before I return the dog. I just have wierd feelings about the whole thing, and don't want to end up in claims court because they mess around with be able to pay back. My son would welcome any extra days with the dog, that actually brought a smile to his face when I told him we might get to keep him a few extra days and in the mean time we will look for a new puppy.

It sounds fishy to me too. I do agree the little boy should not be hurt by keeping the dog longer than necessary but unless the woman had at least 75% of what was paid, she would not get the dog back. If there is a no kill shelter or better yet, Boxer rescue, I might get in touch with them for some help.
If she wants the dog back and does not have ANY money to refund yet, uh....nope!

I also agree that you should wait until she pays you back to return the dog. If you think her story sounds fishy and she may not be trustworthy, it's not worth taking the risk. Trust your instinct. To me it sounds like this could easily be a con, a stupid one, but one nonetheless.

Also you said something about looking up boxer puppies online? If you're going to go to a breeder make sure you find a responsible one, ie: someone who shows/works their dogs, health tests both the stud and bitch, etc etc. I know there are more than a couple posts on Dogo about what makes a responsible breeder. :wink:

The dog technically cant be returned to the owner, since the owner is out of the country. Said dog can only be returned to the fiance who illegally sold the dog in the first place.

I am sorry, but I would be a little suspect here. This could easily be a scam. If this only happened on the 20th, this girl could easily sell such a high demand puppy another 2 or 3 times and be gone in 2 weeks to god knows where. Obviously the fact that the dog isnt legally hers, hasnt stopped her so far. Most people wouldnt question that.

I wouldnt return the dog unless you have cash in hand. I would offer to explain that to the original owner over the phone/email whatever. Set up a date for asap when she will have the money (I wouldnt even accept a check).

Yes its sad, but even a promissary note isnt going to help you much if this girl takes off to parts unknown.

Smells awful fishy to me!

Mei, usually I have to agree with you, but in this case, SarahQ is right, this does smell like the "resale" scam that's becoming quite popular around here :( . It's not the first time I've heard it, and it sucks.
NY state considers companion animals property, but unless the original owner has a receipt from a petstore or breeder, or paperwork from their vets office, with the guys name on it, they're pretty much SOL.

I just talked to the girl again, and told her we agreed to give the dog back it she sold it to us without the total agreement of our fiance. She was very happy that we were going to be so good about. I told her we needed the $$$ in hand first though because we just weren't THAT good natured to trust the 'I will pay you later'. I asked about going overseas, and that the dog would not be able to go to Iraq, and most overseas they must be quarantined first. I just said I wanted to make sure they were thinking it all the way through first this time. But she said they discussed that too, since that was the original reason she was selling the dog - not to put it through all that- and she is waiting till he comes home to Fort Bragg to join him. So we are keeping the dog until Tuesday when she said she will have the $$$ for us.

It's not all worked out at all yet. It won't be worked out until the fiancee turns up with the money and the dog is handed over.

Did this woman give you a receipt for the money you paid for the dog? I certainly hope so.

We don't even know at this stage whether or not the guy owns the dog. It may be owned by the person who actually took the money for it.

I would not hand the dog over until your money has been returned to you as it does sound a bit like a scam to me.