Dogomania

Please help me decide

science_doc

Hello everyone, long time no post.

I'm having a dog health crisis and I really need the advice of some experienced owners. Frankly I'm scared to death. Last week Wednesday night I noticed what looked like a huge red lump on the side of my dog's toe. I had just cut her nails the weekend before and had not seen this, so I assumed it was an acute injury of some kind. I ran her to the emergency clinic and the vet looked at her toe, pronounced it an infection due to an imbedded foreign object (with no obvious entry wound) and gave me antibiotics then sent me home with instructions to soak the toe in Epsom salts until the swelling went down.

I waited 5 days and nothing improved, so I went back to my vet during the day and had another check. The second vet agreed with the diagnosis of the first vet, and just told me I had to be patient these types of nail bed infections take time to heal. She upgraded the antibiotics from amoxicillin to clindamycin. However, she said one thing that's keeping me awake at night. "she said she didn't think it was a tumor, but Hailey has hit the age where that was a possiblity (going on nearly 6) and unless it was just fooling her this was not a tumor due to the accute nature of the wound". The other thing that bothers me is that Hailey is not lame or even slightly limping on that leg, and I would expect with the size of the infection that she would have some pain?

Anyway would anyone with experience in this area please advise me. I am considering taking my dog to another vet practice to get a new opinion, but I don't want to waste the money just to find out that I am completely paraniod.

Thanks

Hi science doc, long time no see.
So sorry to hear about your dog. A few months back, I noticed my Akita had a bump on near one of her nipples, teats whatever you call it. She is 8, and was never spayed so I was quite worried to say the least.
What my vet did was stick a needle in there and checked for fluids, etc. From that, he was able to determine that it was not a tumor, or cancerous growth. I am wondering if a biopsy could put your mind to rest?

Thanks so much for your help guys!

I think the vets skipped the aspiration because they think the lump appeared too quickly to be cancer. They treat me a bit like I'm some nut job who keeps bringing her dog back and taking up their time for no good reason.

K, the lump is next to the nail, on the side/front of the toe, but the black pad part under the toe appears unaffected. She has licked and bit at it so much there is no hair on it anymore. In fact that's how I notice the lump she was biting and pulling at the hair. I assumed I was going to have to cut gum out of her paw (doggon hair husky toes). When I'm home I can keep her off the toe, but while I'm working, who knows? I didn't want to by one of those neck collar things, but maybe I should?