Dogomania

Another dog bite... this one in MY house

Horsefeathers!

While I was out doing my thang last night, Pauly bit my husband. Some of you remember Pauly... Standard Poodle, was in a rescue group then spent a year as an outside dog with someone else before finally coming here. He was four years old when we got him. Sweet dog, not inherently aggressive (not a resource guarder, doesn't chase people or cats or other dogs, very friendly with strangers, outgoing and not timid). He just reacts to things he perceives as threats which used to include upraised hands, brooms, popping towels (we sometimes use a towel to "shoosh" away mosquitoes if we have one in our hands), anything you "waved" at him "menacingly" (his perception). We've worked on de-sensitizing him, and he has done wonderfully. I can "hit" him with a belt, crutches, all sorts of objects because I've done it a lot and made it a "game" so that he wouldn't feel threatened by things. I've poked, popped, slugged, and I don't know what else to this dog so much, he doesn't even care, anymore. Bear in mind that I treat it as a game. To hit this dog with a belt, you would think I've just given him a big steak... it's been such a game to him that he LIVES to see a belt come out. I never want him to have to fear human hands or any object they carry. I've bragged on him from time to time since he's done so well.

From what I'm told, Pauly was barking last night, and my husband tried to hush him by telling him to "knock it off" and "that's enough." Pretty basic stuff in our house. Hubby had a towel and apparently, like a total dumbarse, "snapped" Pauly with it. In the moment, he just didn't think about it. I think the phone was ringing or something, and he wanted them to quiet down kind of quickly. Usually, for quick quiet downs, a water bottle does the trick.

Anyway, Pauly didn't see the humor in the towel snapping and charged my husband when he turned to walk off, and bit him pretty near his butt, upper thigh. It broke the skin enough to be substantial, but he wasn't mauled up or anything.

I'm just so angry with my husband for his lapse of good judgment at the time. He should have known better. Pauly has just kind of skulked around all day. Great... I wonder if we're going to have to start all over. He was doing so well. I never, ever want him to think he can't trust us, and in one stupid move, my husband blew it. He didn't mean any harm... he wasn't trying to actually hit Pauly with the towel (and I do believe that). He was just trying to quiet him down, but Pauly totally took it as a threat, I reckon, and reacted.

Back to square one. Time to re-train hubby. :x

oh that's the worst i am sorry HF. yes i suggest you start the game again with a fury and work up to a place where hubby can play the game too (i don't expect that he play right off).

my hunny frequently undoes what i have spent hours trying to do (tho the consequence is not so bad).

retrain the dog i can do, retrain the man i haven't the time or the patience! prolly don't even have the skill for that matter!

**sigh**

gotta love it when that happens. the best you can do is start desensitizing Pauly again, and after a while have hubby join in as well, so he's desensitized thoroughly to both of you. did he "play" at all the last time, while you were training?

poor Pauly and Hubby. I'm sure he didnt mean it, he sounds like a really nice man from what you've told us....

:(