Dogomania

Vet Recommendation

tx2478

[quote name='SarahQ'][quote name='Hmmmm']Three "snaps" or bites, as called by the doctor, is more than just a warning.[/quote]

[quote name='SarahQ']Again, I disagree. If it hadnt been a warning. Those pictures would have been much much worse. This dog didnt want to hurt this kid, or it would have. Its as simple as that. IME, dogs dont miss on accident.[/quote]

ok i am not meaning for this to become an argument for anyone i am sure in both of your opionions you are both right i am sure if i was paying attention to signs mabye i would of caught something but as for the bites i do want to make a correction yes she bit 3 times and as she was leaping at my son he was leaning himself backward to move away in the longest 3 seconds of my life i grabbed my son away quickly. i think what everyone is getting at is that if i wouldnt of been there it could of been worse and me being there and able to grab my son away from my dog probably prevented more damage. I am grateful that it didnt get that bad and i was able to get him away. Again i thank everyone for there opionions and there support both that agreed and disaggreed[/quote]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tx2478']

ok i am not meaning for this to become an argument for anyone i am sure in both of your opionions you are both right i am sure if i was paying attention to signs mabye i would of caught something but as for the bites i do want to make a correction yes she bit 3 times and as she was leaping at my son he was leaning himself backward to move away in the longest 3 seconds of my life i grabbed my son away quickly. i think what everyone is getting at is that if i wouldnt of been there it could of been worse and me being there and able to grab my son away from my dog probably prevented more damage. I am grateful that it didnt get that bad and i was able to get him away. Again i thank everyone for there opionions and there support both that agreed and disaggreed[/quote][/quote]

Tx - dont worry about the arguing. You have more than enough on your mind. Contradicting peoples ideas makes them think... thats a good thing in my book. ;)

I will say that if your dog truly wanted to hurt your son, she would have. Its great that you pulled him away and intervened, but I think if your dog have meant business those pictures would have been alot worse. Dogs who are serious about biting - BITE. They dont leave nicks and scratches. Thats not to say that it wont happen the next time (god forbid there is a next time), but in this case, if she had meant business, she would have punctured, at minimum.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='courtnek']I'm sorry? I'm NOT penalizing the dog. OWNERS need to know the pack rules, and act accordingly....THEY ARE NOT PEOPLE IN FUR COATS...

the more we treat our dogs like people, the nastier they will become...[/quote]
I think she was accusing me of penalizing dogs... BUT, nice post. I have to agree.
So Im cruel because I dont allow cats in my house? Youre full of shit. Are you a member of PETA? You think all animals should have the same rights as humans? As I said.. these cats came to me. I throw them scraps and give em fresh water. There is nothing wrong with that. Yeah, lol, I should bring em in my house... So they can be truely happy. Who cares my dogs would kill them? :roll:
Its really sad you feel like dogs deserve to be happy moreso than children do. You need to open your eyes. Like Court said, dogs arent people. No matter how much you may want them to be.
If a dog reacts to a misbehaving child by biting the child, yes, that dog should be put down. I honestly cant believe you put more value on the life of a dog than the life of a child. Thats just ridiculous.
[quote]Thats not to say that it wont happen the next time (god forbid there is a next time), but in this case, if she had meant business, she would have punctured, at minimum. [/quote]
Why even take the chance of it happening again, "god forbid"? There are plenty of dogs out there who wont bite needing homes. To take a chance on dog you already know bit, not once but 3 times, and only stopped when the mother interveined, is irresponsible.
I really cant even believe people take chances like that when it involves their children.
edited..typos!

[quote name='Hmmmm']
So Im cruel because I dont allow cats in my house? Youre full of shiny. Are you a member of PETA? [/quote]

Nice language. I saw what it said earlier. No. I am not a member of PETA. But what does that have to do with this situation ? I am assuming that you are trying to demonize my supposedly 'extremist' views by associating me with a left field organization ? Is that somewhere in the ballpark ? Nope. Sorry.

[quote name='Hmmmm']
You think all animals should have the same rights as humans?
[/quote]

No. Absolutely not. Where did I say, or even infer that ?

[quote name='Hmmmm']
As I said.. these cats came to me. I throw them scraps and give em fresh water. There is nothing wrong with that. Yeah, lol, I should bring em in my house... So they can be truely happy. Who cares my dogs would kill them? :roll:
[/quote]

What is wrong with that ? Nothing if you believe that they dont deserve some of the basics in life -- like oh I dont know,
vet care, proper nutrition, safety, protection from predators, a warm place to sleep. The cats came to you, thats great. So
if a dog comes to you - is it ok to just throw them some scraps, leave them outside in the elements to be hit by a car or
eaten by a cougar ? Is that ok ? As long as I am "not a dog person" ? Is that part of your ranking of the importance of lives
too ? People - dogs - then cats.. lower expendable life forms ?

[quote name='Hmmmm']
Its really sad you feel like dogs deserve to be happy moreso than children do. You need to open your eyes.
[/quote]

Again, where oh where are you getting this ? Because I care about what happens to the dog, because I dont want to see a life needlessly thrown away without considering the circumstances.. that somehow means that I dont give two poops about children ?? Really ?? Is that where you are getting this ?? Because you are mistaken.

[quote name='Hmmmm']
Like Court said, dogs arent people. No matter how much you may want them to be.
If a dog reacts to a misbehaving child by biting the child, yes, that dog should be put down. I honestly cant believe you put more value on the life of a dog than the life of a child. Thats just ridiculous. [/quote]

I agree that would be ridiculous. Its certainly a good thing that thats not how I feel. I dont think that a dog's life has more value than a child's, but that doesnt mean I dont think that life has NO value whatsoever. A life is a life.... to some degree. I for one will never make a sweeping generalization about when to terminate such a life, without considering all the circumstances.

Furthermore, I think that court and I are pretty much in agreement. I am fully aware that dogs arent people. You are the one that
seems to have an unnatural desire to supress any and all dog type behavior and has unreasonable expectation about what
it is to be a dog.
And yet again, please show me where I said that I "put more value on the on the life of a dog than the life of a child."
I dont think that caring for the life of a child, completely discounts all concern for the dogs existance. And vice versa.
Its not mutually exclusive.

[quote name='Hmmmm']
Why even take the chance of it happening again, "god forbid"? There are plenty of dogs out there who wont bite
needing homes. To take a chance on dog you already know bit, not once but 3 times, and only stopped when the mother
interveined, is irresponsible. I really cant even believe people take chances like that when it involves their children.
[/quote]

I actually havent said that I do or dont think that the mother in this case should or should not put down this dog. Its a hard choice, as I have acknowledged and she has to do what SHE can live with.

All dogs require work. ALL of them. Just like people, they all come with issues. I believe that when you make acommitment to a dogs life (or any life), you shouldn't just trade it in because hey, there are dogs out there without this problem.
I dont believe in throwing away a life because its a little banged up - to paraphrase a famous quote there.

ok let me straighten this out. in all honesty, I agree with both sides (nice of me, right? 8) )

I see Hmmmms point, but dont necessarily agree with all of it. if the owner of the dog is not able, or willing, to put the time in to demote it and make it behave, then yes, if it is therefore unadoptable, it should be put down. with a bite history, and multiple counts of aggression, it is unlikely to find a home. it should not have to live in a cage. let it go, give it peace.....

if the person who owns the dog is willing, and able, to put on the iron fist and make the dog behave, then no, it does not need to be put down. precautions have to be taken, to insure the safety of the children, but it can be done. I know. I've done it, with friends dogs who got "above themselves..." I broke one who wouldnt let the husband sleep in his own bed. (LLLOOONNNG story...)

there are two sides to every story. this CAN be done, the question is, can TX do it, or is she willing to?...thats the real decision...

8)