Dogomania

Doggy Descrimination - long rant

eric

I almost put this in NDR, put it really is dog related. Anyhow, I'm pissed.

A little background…

When I was 22, my parents got divorced. Not a big shock, it was no surprise that they weren’t happy. I had been out of the house since I was 19, living on my own and going to University so it didn’t really affect me too much.
Anyhow, my dad dated a few women and finally met his current wife about 5 years ago, Dana. They got married a few years ago. That’s all fine. My dad is happy which is what counts. Me, I can take Dana in small doses, but beyond that she gets on my nerves – and no, this is not a “You’re not my real mother” thing. I’m 32. I haven’t spoken to my mother in 4 years anyways, but that’s another story.

Its just that Dana has some personality traits that I find a bit irritating. She’s way too emotional; cries at the drop of a hat. I’ve spent probably a total of 4 or 5 hours in her presence, and I’ve seen her cry 4 times. She also tries to be close by forcing intimacy, acting like there is some deep relationship between us that as far as I’m concerned doesn’t exist; telling me she loves me, telling me she misses me, etc. I just haven’t spent that much time with her and really don’t know her that well. She’s basically an acquaintance from my point of view. It just makes me really uncomfortable. Its like going up to a stranger and trying to get them to like you by telling them you miss them.

Plus, she seems to be missing the part of her brain that would tell her that “this isn’t appropriate to be discussing with people I just met”. The second my dad steps out of the room she starts talking about stuff that has me going “AAAAHH LA LA LA LA LA” inside my head. To boot, she’s a real Prima Donna. There’s always something wrong with her, and it just so happens that these things maladies strike when the limelight is shifting off her. I noticed it a little bit, but my brother an sister that still live at home have emailed me complaining about how she pulls these “stunts” to get attention.

Anyhow, Dana has a boy and a girl from a previous marriage. I’ve never met the boy. I met the girl once. Girl has a problem. She keeps getting pregnant by accident. First time, when she was 16, Girl had an abortion. This time, at 20 years of age, she decided to drop out of her first year of college and keep the kid. Father is same age, has high school degree and works at Rent-a-Car. So, she has the kid several months back and Girl and Father decide that what would make the fairytale complete is a quicky wedding at some all-in- one-wedding center.

Ok, so here’s the part where I get pissed. My father mentions about a month back that Girl is getting married. Fine, good for them. Doesn’t mention anything about my wife and I being invited. I take no offense in the least to this. I met Girl once, they don’t have a lot (any) money, and so I am perfectly fine with the fact that we’re not going to be invited to what is most likely going to be a 25 to 40 person wedding. No problem. Besides, it’s a 4 hour drive to get there, I have 4 dogs, and I could be at the cottage.

Then, just last week we get the invitation to the wedding, which is on August 27th. Less than 3 weeks notice. Then the calls start from Dana about how it so important for us to be there, she misses us, Girl absolutely wants us to be there (again, met her once). Ok, fine. I still have the problem of my 4 large dogs. So we call my in-laws, but they had already made plans to be out of town. Call a few kennels, but frankly my wife is dead set against putting the boys in a kennel and by the time we factor in the shots they’d need to keep them from catching anything, we’re looking at $200 - $300.

My wife and I discuss things and decide that what we can do is bring the dogs with us, bring the crates, and we’d just keep them down in my dad’s basement and lock them up while we were away. Meanwhile, Dana is calling and calling to see if we’re coming so I lay the plan out for her. All of a sudden it’s a whole story about how the basement (30 feet by 80 feet) is completely full and there’s no room for the dogs, and the house is going to be busy with all the people. I explain our problem that with the short notice we couldn’t find somebody to babysit the dogs, and the kennel option is a no-go. “Well, talk to your dad and see” she says. So, I re-explain to my dad, he starts singing the same song, going on about how 4 (keep in mind, crated) dogs is going to be too much for Jack, their Pomeranian. Never mind they bring Jack into my house and he craps and pisses on my marble floor and its not problem. We end the conversation with “Well, we’ll see”.

Meanwhile, I email my sister and she tells me this is all pretty much B.S., that there’s plenty of room in the basement for the dogs. Then my Dad calls me on my cell yesterday and leaves a message saying that “Its not going to work out with the dogs, its too much”. At this point I’m starting to get annoyed with all this. I for one would never impose my dogs on anybody. I know not everybody likes big dogs. I would never invite myself over to someplace and bring my dogs. But if *YOU* want me to drive to another city and spend a few nights, well the deal is the dogs have to come. If you don’t my dogs in your house than it is completely 100% fine. I will simply go my very nice, tranquil cottage and enjoy a peaceful weekend. Having 4 dogs is not a problem for me. If it’s a problem for other people then T.S.

Then he calls me again and leaves another message saying that they found a couple that are willing to take 2 of the dogs, and somebody else is willing to take 1 of the dogs, and one dog can stay in the house. So now I’m supposed to throw my dogs to the 4 winds so they can stay with complete strangers to me, rather than being crated up together downstairs in the basement of the house I grew up with. All for the wedding of some chick I’ve met once.

SERENITY NOW!

I didn't get back to him yet, because he left a message on my cell.

I'm thinking I might suddenly land a new client and have to work that weekend.

[quote name='scotty_lvr']
What was your reply to your dad......did it sound like..."Um Well, uhh...I DON'T THINK SO? "

Good luck trying to find a peaceful resolution. Hey doesn't your wife have to go back to school near the wedding date? couldn't there be some sort of staff clean-up, appreciation, mandatory meeting or some something that she is obligated to do??[/quote]

Gee, another Drama Queen!!!! Okay, I won't go there.

I'm with the rest of the group here. Find a new client, who's VERY demanding, get a card (you don't "owe" a gift for a person's wedding when you've met them once, even if they are "family"), a good bottle of your favorite, and go to the cabin, open said libation and offer up a toast of good wishes.

I'd probably make a deliberate effort to let them know they'd p*ssed me off with their self centeredness and unrealistic expectations by saying something like, "I think I'm going to be sick that week... yes, I'm sure of it."

Fortunately, there's a cure for what ails you. Nobody should put up with that kind of crap.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WwDrAqAdkYVsPu0F9qHrmLi!u8ygrpFBicMOje3EZ1*fZhl5U3Nqcchx60Aj*yJ8UPB!HkJ0NP5Y5rfmYOHc7BC0HCrvpk1tfBoApa6Efc4!Obh!lw453tf1ZJaGFSffvjnoKwKGmZ4/Fukidol.jpg?dc=4675535303761788839[/img]

here ya go. send them a wedding card that says on such short notice you are not comfortable with the arrangements they have worked out for your dogs. then print this and put it in the card...

"My dogs live here, they’re here to stay.
you don’t like pets, be on your way.
they share my home, my food, my space
this is their home, this is their place.

You will find dog hair on the floor,
they will alert you’re at the door.
they may request a little pat,
a simple “no” will settle that.

It gripes me when I hear you say
“just how is it you live this way?
they smell, they shed, they’re in the way….”
WHO ASKED YOU? is all I can say….

They love me more than anyone,
my voice is like the rising sun,
they merely have to hear me say
“C’mon girls, time to go and play”

then tails wag and faces grin,
they bounce and hop and make a din.
They never say “no time for you”,
they’re always there, to GO and DO.

and if I’m sad? They’re by my side
and if I’m mad? they circle wide
and if I laugh, they laugh with me
they understand, they always see.

so once again, I say to you
come visit me, but know this too….

My dogs live here, they’re here to stay.
you don’t like pets, be on your way.
they share my home, my food, my space
this is their home, this is their place…

~Katy~ "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Suddenly, "Eric the Red" means something totally different.

[quote name='rotten_two']that's only cause you showed up :grab: i think it is time to give you your viking name . . . henceforth you shall be known as

[color=red][size=6]Eric the Snatchy[/size][/color][/quote]

On a side note, my sister went and stirred things up the other night because she feels pretty much the same about Dana and likes to rile her up.

So Dana calls my cell phone at 10:30 pm the other night and leaves a tearful message about how she's so sorry and that would I please come because the Father's family was SOOOOO excited they were going to meet me and Girl was SOOOO excited that I was going to come. Yes, I have somehow become some sort of demi-god and everyone is anxious to bask in my radiant glow. Skeet skeet skeet.

To boot, now Dana is going to cancel the reservation at the hotel so we can all go back to the house and spend some quality “family time” together. Why don’t we just cancel the wedding and make the whole thing about me? Cripes, this is the last thing I want. If I go, I just want them to carry on with their little plans. I’m going to talk to my dad today and tell him he needs to tell Dana to take it down several notches and to back off.