Dogomania

My son got bit (pics included) need advice please

tx2478

So my son and bailey and myself were laying on my bed and Star went up and laid on the pillow well my son had givin star 2 kisses and then he was about 1 foot away from her face and adam was looking at her (my friend think Star took his look as a stare down) anyways i want to exhaust every option i have...i am going to take her to the vet on monday and see if there is something wrong health wise cuz she is a little on the skinny side and eats like a horse and she has allergies really bad so mabye the stuff they gave her isnt working anymore and she is iritated i dont know what to do we have had her for almost a year and she wouldnt hurt the kids ever but i have also heard that once a dog bites she will always and now i am scared...I took them so when i take her to the vet i can show the vet what she actually did...Here are the pics

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d632b3127cce933d4e82605e00000016108AbsXLVw3aNh[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d632b3127cce933d4e8e605200000016108AbsXLVw3aNh[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d632b3127cce933d4f7e203a00000016108AbsXLVw3aNh[/img]

How do you feel about what happened? You probably need to trust your instincts here. Do you think that there is a good chance (for whatever reason) this could happen again? Was there rough play involved, or was the motivation behind the bite serious? Deep down you probably know the answers.

Once you figure out the motivation behind the bite you need to make some decisions. At the very least you need to tighten up training and start from square one with Star. No more special privileges.

I talked to my trainer today and she said to get a clean bill of health and make sure there are no problems and then we will hit the training..my son isnt scared of her but i get nervous only cuz i saw it and dont want to see it again...i dont think she would do it again but i dont want to think it was intentional. she does have a wound on her back hink leg which he was no where near but that is why i am taking her to the vet to make sure nothing got ahold of her but my vet doesnt open to monday and right now i am just keeping an eye on her and trying not to be so nervous...I havent told my hubby yet cuz he is very protective over the kids and he loves star she could never do wrong in his eyes so with him gone i dont want to worry him but i also dont want my son to tell him..

i was wondering until the vet on monday should i be doing anything, looking for any signs that i might of missed when she bit.i just dont want the vet to suggest something drastic

I agree with Kendalyn. fortunately your son is ok, but the dog could very well have considered the stare down as a threat, and reacted. dog should not be on the bed when the kids are there, IMO. see what the vet has to say, then make some serious decisions on what you will do. the wounds arent too terrible, looks like one knick and some scratches from the pictures, and another dog would have been unfazed by it. however, in my household, dogs are NEVER allowed to lay teeth to flesh. This is a rule since I have always had large dogs.

until you decide what to do, this dog needs to be demoted immediately. no beds, no couches. you go thru doorways first. institute NILIF immediately, dog gets nothing without earning it first. you eat before the dog, and make him watch you do it. you need to re-establish pack rules in your house for your childrens safety.

good luck and I hope everything works out. until he has been demoted completely, keep the kids and him apart.

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth...

When it comes to small children, I don't really care WHY a dog bites. I can think of a lot of things that can be done differently... NILIF, getting the dog off the bed, basically rehabilitation and demotion. If it were older children or adults, I'd think about it, but a small child, still nearly a baby? I know this goes against what a lot of people believe, but I wouldn't give it a chance to happen again.

My opinion is based on the face value of this post, assuming no other factors.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. :(

I'm sorry that your having to go through this. I have the same question as Pup. Why is he scratched up? Asim once bit X but they were horse playing around and that was about 2 years ago. I will not get into the bites with the girls fighting. I think the others asked valid questions. A vet visit is in order..... Good luck...

i am calling the vet on monday so right now they are apart I talked to my husband about it and he said basically what you guys did was to re establish the order as much as we can without him here i am going to go to my trainer just as soon as the vet gets bloodwork back i think she might not feel well cuz i went to move her over and she yelped so i am thinking even that my son wasnt touching her she thought he was and that is why or the strare down i dont know i thought it was ok for all of us to be on the same bed...what throws me off is when adam sleeps in his own room she sleeps by his bed in his room and when the kids go outside if there are people by the fence she goes in between adam and the fence...it is just unexpected for me i know in my heart she wouldnt harm my kids...i will keep you posted on the vet appt...thanks for your advice

Wow...that is one scary bite location. Your son was lucky to escape with such a minor puncture. :o Good luck on the vet visit: maybe Star is just cranky because she feels unwell.

If I were in your situation I wouldn't let Star on the bed with him anymore and I would teach him to not get that close to Star's face to avoid the possibility of a more serious repeat occurance. :cry:

Scary situation and sorry to reprimand you but your sons face or any other childs face should not have been that close. Its an immediate threat perceived by a dog if there is face close to the dogs and in dfence the dog will bite. Star is an adopted dog and you haven't had her very long (less than a year i think?).

Its not a good situation at all and bar any medical reason, you will have to practice some strict enforcement rules with both your children and with Star. She must learn that it is not acceptable to bite and lunge out like that and likewise your kids need to learn to respect stars personal space, and to never put their face close to a dogs face. Your son was very lucky. That bite could easily have got caused damage to the eye and the bite marks around his face show me that Star wasn't just warning. She meant business.

well it's monday morning and i am bitchy so i figured hey why not answer honestly here. first i will say that i agree that under no circumstances should a dog put her teeth on humans. also i am glad that your son is alright, but i think you lucked out.

here's the bitchy part . . . .
tx you have been a member of this board long enough to know that when it comes to children and dogs there are some very specific rules that govern their interactions. it is my feeling that star probably warned your son 6 ways to sunday before she actually bit him. these warnings may have been subtle but c'mon why would you let a small child get in a large dog's face? there should be no kisses on or around the head. also if you already knew of her allergies and that she could be a bit irritable -- that's even more reason to keep pup and kids out of each others' space. i think you should not have let her on the bed while you were there with the kids.

you have to enforce some rules here with kids and dogs and even self. have you worked with her on being accepting of all kinds of petting (ear tugs, tail tugs, erratic petting, etc)? i think you should have been practicing from day one. also make it clear to your children how to pet her or even better help them pet her. give her lots of snacks for tolerance. watch star's body language when she interacts with the kids. if she's irritable do her a favor and put her in her crate for a nap. nothing surprises me anymore, but i hope this doesn't happen again.

thank you for all of your advice to everyone as for stars allergies she is medice that the doctor gave her and i have to give it to her daily and she never acts up...please dont think i am stupid when it comes to this incident i just have alot to consider before doing something to one of my family members she was temperment tested by a certified trainer and she came back fine. Me saying she could of been irratable is just me hoping there is an underlying issue cuz i feel in my heart that star wouldnt hurt my kids....now she might of giving some kind of signs and i might of missed them i am not saying that it just happened really quickly she moved up by my son...but i have to say one of the advice i got from you guys was not to let star on the bed i am confused with that cuz i have been around people that when they sleep or nap there animal lays with them so that was probably me just being nieve to it...also i do know i have to work with my son and daughter more about there behavior towards star and everything else i have been in the process of that since my husband left for iraq and there attitudes changed....again thanks for your guys advice i will let you guys know more after the vet

tx said she was confused by other posts saying napping with dogs is a good way to bond. I have a solution for everyone as I have just installed this rule in our house: Occasional napping with the dog will only take place on the floor, he will not be invited up onto the bed or couch.

As we have been doing up on the bed more lately, Buddy has gotten more pushy with us ... trying to herd and bark when he sees us getting ready to go out, giving me a warning signal when I hit a tender spot in grooming, and forgetting to wait as we go through doors.

As for napping on the bed: I really think it depends on the dog. My boys sleep on the bed sometimes, sometimes they choose to sleep on their bed or the cool floor. I haven't noticed any extra pushiness and I can always tell them to get off any bed or peice of furniture and they comply instantly. In fact if a person enters the room and heads toward a chair the dog is on, they get off without being asked. Now if I felt my dog needed demoting sure I would start with the bed etc. I just don't think that we can say that no dog should be allowed on any bed or furniture anytime. Star, however, sounds like she could benefit from NILIF.

[quote name='BuddysMom']Yeah I'm not saying no dog on the bed ever either, but since I saw bad behavior increase at the same time bed time increased I have made this rule to fit my own situation.[/quote]

you know now that you mention the bed thing she has her own bed but just recently she has been getting up on the bed and i havent been saying anything but you guys are probably right about her dominating the situation. again thanks for all your advice and i am going to copy and print the nilif thread thanks for the link

Guest Anonymous

Just a couple things...
[quote]Me saying she could of been irratable is just me hoping there is an underlying issue cuz i feel in my heart that star wouldnt hurt my kids[/quote]
I believe this is why this thread is here. Because she DID hurt one of the kids.
I think my feelings on a dog that bites is pretty well known. Especially if a child is the one being bitten. Its always there and can always happen again. Why take that chance? Im sorry, but to me, a childs life and well being is much more imprtant than the dogs.

[quote name='BuddysMom']tx said she was confused by other posts saying napping with dogs is a good way to bond. I have a solution for everyone as I have just installed this rule in our house: Occasional napping with the dog will only take place on the floor, he will not be invited up onto the bed or couch.

As we have been doing up on the bed more lately, Buddy has gotten more pushy with us ... trying to herd and bark when he sees us getting ready to go out, giving me a warning signal when I hit a tender spot in grooming, and forgetting to wait as we go through doors.[/quote]

and thats the first sign of a takeover. its good you noticed it, most people just ignore or think the dog is cranky. its not. these are calculated moves, a little at a time, trying to see just how far they can get.

its easier to demote themnow then when they have taken over. TX, you need to demote star asap....