Dogomania

Not again!!

Sharpeigirl

Sassy has all the signs of another UTI :-? Constently wanting to go out, and squating & doing very little. ANd her appatite is zero! Even for a nice peice of roast beef. SHe has no intrest.. Back to the vet once again. I really need to find the answers as to why she keeps getting these. I swear this is getting really old, and she can't live on antibiotics her whole life..

if she keeps getting them then she needs to be put on a Cranberry suppliment :)

you can get cranberry pills at basically any place that sells pills :lol: like wal-mart or kroger or whatever.
i dont know how much she weighs but i'm guessing around 50lbs? give her 3-4 pills, even if she only weighs 30lbs you can still give her 3-4 pills, the cranberry [b]cant[/b] hurt her :D

shadow and maggie got UTI's and i didnt even give the anti-biotics, i just gave them 1/8 cup of cranberry juice(the REAL stuff) and 4-5 pills a day with their food for about a week or two and their UTI's cleared right up :D
i dont recommend everyone that has a dog with a UTI to not give antibiotics..just stating what worked for me :D

if your dog is a really picky eater than i wouldnt recommend the juice because it tastes bad, just give her the pills. but even shadow is rather finicky about her food but she loves food so she gobbled it right up :lol:

enough rambling :oops: i seem to be doing that lately :lol: [/b]

edited to add: i forgot to mention that the cranberry juice has to be REAL 100% cranberry, you can get it at a health food store :D do NOT give any cranberry juice like ocean spray or whatever other brand, it's not real cranberry and it has way to much sugar. the real cranberry juice is about $8 a bottle but one bottled lasted me about 2 1/2 weeks between 3 dogs :)

I have tried cranberry pills mysellf for a recurring UTI and the only brand that worked was CranActin. Dosed big like 4 of them 4 times a day (again that was for a person not a dog...) This almost immediately, and permanently cured an infection that was recurring for years and antibiotics had become ineffective.

Also I extend the offer I made to DO for free probiotic supplements ...

[url]http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=111353&osCsid=926addc823c7902a0682fec7bcc5e049[/url]

I have these 3 pack samples if you want to try. Great human quality probiotic. PM your address if you want to try.

I extend this offer to anyone who really feels a need, for themselves, dogs, or loved ones ... "while supplies last" and if you are willing to let me know how it worked for you.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']what are the probiotics for? what do they help?[/quote]

Well, its' pretty complex but I'll give the brief answer ... We (all mammals) have trillions of bacteria living in our guts. To simplify, some are "good" in that they perform vital detox and digestive functions ... these "friendly" bacteria are depleted by antibiotics (and poor eating, aging, alcohol, stress, etc etc) and this imbalance can lead to many health problems as I understand. And so, when we take antibiotics or give them to our dogs it's a great idea to replenish the "friendly" bacteria at the same time. Bifidobacteria, lactibacillus including acidophilus, etc. I will post an article when I can find it...

Okay, I may be a newbie here, but I'd like to jump in here and make a suggestion if I may.

Since your pup has recurring UTIs, ask the vet if they would run a culture on a urine specimen. It could be that whatever bacteria is causing the infection is resistant to the antibiotics that are being given and therefore is being knocked down but not out. This would mean 2 things

1.) You are still dealing with the original infection as it hasn't cleared up totally.
2.) The bacteria is building up a resistance to the antibiotics.

It's also possible that another branch of antibiotics would be better in treating the infection (Sort of like in people when a penicillan-type drug doesn't work so you're given a sulfa-based one.)

You also might try giving some Frosty Paws to her as the yogurt might help. I'd suggest giving it to her before you freeze them so that the ascidophalous (and my spelling stinks on that!!) would be better able to work.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

[quote name='JackieMaya']Awww, poor Sassy. I've never had a dog with UTIs, but my mom (who is in a nursing with Alzheimer's) used to get them a lot. I hope the vet can help get her system figured out so that she doesn't continue to get them.[/quote]
I'm sorry about your mom. My grandmother is in a nursing home with Alzheimers too. How far along is she? Grandma still recognizes us but has a really hard time figuring out where she is and can't follow a conversation.