Dogomania

immunizations

Baileysmom

Baileys going in next week for her annual check up, I remember quite awhile back people talking about whether to immunize or not, etc.....
can you help me find that info ? I seem to remember some of her shots last year (at 8 mo old when we adopted her) were the "newer" 3 yr, so she shouldnt need any of that, although I think the reminder card I got said she did :-? I know rabies is required by law, is that an every year one? sorry such stupid questions, I really havent kept up on that stuff :oops: but now I want to be prepared for what she needs and what I do not want her to have for her appt.......
Thanks!

rabies is the only one required by law, but some kennels will require bordatella if you're going to board the dog (kennel cough).

there are 1, 2 and 3 year rabies shots that you can get, depending on where you live. since I have mine done for bordatella every year, since i have to board them every year, I just do the yearlies for rabies. that way I dont have to keep track of when they were done, the county does that for me, and sends me reminders every year.

am I lazy, or what?

make those tax dollars work!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks - that helped, now I need to find out whether her rabies was a 1, 2 or 3 yr..... I did opt for bordatella before because she was goign to be in obedience class, but she ended up gettinmg it anyway, so I wont be doing that again unless for some reason I have to board her and its required :roll:
another question - if you have done 3 yr immunizations shoudl they still get an exam every year, or is every two or three ok if they are healthy?? I dont mean to sound ignorant, just curious :oops:

the vet or county should be able to tell you what kind of shot she had last.

as far as exams..every year, with or without the shots. bad things can happen in a years time, I feel safer having them checked. a regular physical, weighing, ear, eye and heart check.

8)

Like others have said, rabies vax varies by state. In MA, the first rabies is given, and then, if the second is given between 9and 12 months, that booster is good for 3 years, if given earlier or later, it's only good for a year.

For the other vax, I give bord because I work at the hospital and Jack sometimes comes and stays in a run. I give that every 6 months. The hospital I work at has recently switched to a three year protocol for the combo (except lepto - that's still given every year) as the others are not needed every year. Also, I vaccinate for lyme disease as it is endemic where I am, and even though Jack is on tick prevention, every once in a while I have to pull a tick off of him.