Dogomania

Off Leash Training

jessieholsinger

What age is Stealth?

As JM suggested the best way is to use a lunge line or a long line or a flexi lead. Start with short distances and call your dog followed by come and each time he comes to you make sure he gets loads of verbal praise and a treat like a piece of sausage. Increase the distance and if he ignores you then flick the lead sharply to remind him . This way each time he hears his name he will asoociate it with a tug of the lead and knows that he must return to you in order to get the reward.

lol i feel that. I've had Kes doing off leash since I got her at 6 and a half weeks and if the neighbours were out they of course were more interesting :lol: The trick is I've found to be very appealing to your dog. Bond firmly by playing together, doing bits of obedience together but always make it fun, so that your dog has a reason to come back to you. Kes is 4 months now and she was at the park today and a very nosy Schnauzer called Jude bounded over and of course Kes had to go investigate, but i'll give her credit because when I called her she came back. I made a massive fuss of her telling her she was good and kept her off lead and even though the other dog was still in the vicinity she kept focussed on me and ignored Jude.

Now, a wee thing I have experimented with doing with other dogs is called the join and connect. This is similar to the join up you would see in horses. Release the dog off lead in a quiet area and say nothing but walk away from the dog. Each time the dog comes to join you change direction quickly and keep quiet. You are essentially ignoring the dog. Keep this up until you are walking away from the dog again and then call the dog. If the dog comes immediately to you he gets praised. If he runs past you, then you start the process of changing direction and ignoring him again.

Dogs love to be praised. This behaviour of humans walking past will not bode well with them and they will try their utmost usually to monitor your change of pace, then will be delighted when they hear a verbal command and will usually try very hard to please.

I've carried out this type of process before with clients dogs and it has worked wonders, so I thought I would experiment it and try it with Kes. Again it has been super. If I change direction now and she isn't alerted she will dart in my direction. She doesn't like me being in the other direction and its formed an excellent basis for her recall skills :D

Remember you always must give more than enough praise to give the dog an incentive to return to you whatever method you try.

interesting- here is something for you though.....we live in Northern Virginia! Now the are that e live in is still somewhat country....I have deer, ground hogs, coons, and other animals that come in the yard and will leave their trail........Now outside with Stealth and playing and he takes off in the woods and completely ignores us....My husband has to run after him and drag him back because he does not have the leash and we will take him inside and not allow him out to play.

What would your course of action be on that? We do praise him when he does come running back to us.....

you need to perfect his recall, with the long lead and Kat's advice, before letting him offleash with distractions. this is a three-fold process. first, long lead, just you and hubby, in an enclosed place, next,long lead with some distractions (people, traffic) and then offleash once those distractions have been conquered. then long leash around other animals (the worst distraction) up until you have perfect recall on the dog.

having said that, SOME dogs will NEVER have perfect recall. hounds and
hunting dogs fall into that category. their nose knows, and they become hearing impaired if the right scent gets to them before you do.

[quote name='courtnek']having said that, SOME dogs will NEVER have perfect recall. hounds and
hunting dogs fall into that category. their nose knows, and they become hearing impaired if the right scent gets to them before you do.[/quote]

Thats for sure lol, Carson's recall is pretty good, but the second he smells something, alllllll the training is gone, and he's on the hunt. :lol: :roll: