Dogomania

Free's in quarantine

courtnek

I am SOO upset. I know it has to be done but she has all her shots!!!

she tangled with a coon. got bit., not bad, I cleaned it up and she's fine.

now, for the hard part...please forgive me, I shot the coon. it wouldnt give up. it latched onto her, and wouldnt let go, which is why they thought it might be rabid...I hit it with a broom, and it wouldnt let go. it was a major fight, Free wouldnt quit (not surprisingly), it wouldnt quit...

I shot it,. up close. it wouldnt stop fighting with Free....

she is at the vets, under observation...I want her home. they wont release her for ten days, even with shots. I turned the coon over to them.
they were surprised. "you SHOT it?" YES..it was hurting my dog!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm glad Free's going to be ok. I couldn't imagine not being able to have Carson here for 10 days, I cant even think of what you're going through... and I would've done the same thing. If a coon was attacking your kid, and wouldnt let go, you would've shot it too, right? :wink: Your dogs are your kids, so to me, its no different. Prayers going out to Free.

Guest Anonymous

oh no Court. i'm so sorry to hear about that but it sounds like it was for hte best. i've never heard of a coon not lettin go after all that you did. i would have shot it too... please keep us updated on Free ;)

[quote name='JackieMaya']I'm with Lucky Chaos. Since you brought the coon in, shouldn't they be able to test it for rabies so that Free can go home?[/quote]

I believe that rabies testing is too expensive for most animal control departments to do on a whim. They'd do it if there were a human involved, but for a dog quarantine is the simplest and most economical option.

Courtnek, that's a bummer but I'm sure Free will be OK, aside from some temporary home-sickness. Racoons are nasty, they'll sometimes kill a dog much larger than themselves, if I had a gun I'd probably do the same. Seeing as how I don't have a gun, I would've sent the other dog out on it, which may not be popular with some of you, but my policy is that if one dog gets into a tangle it's chances are better if there are one or more dogs backing it up.

I'm sorry to hear of Free's tangle with the raccoon. :o If it were one of my dogs, and if I had a firearm that I knew how to use, I would have done the same thing.

It sounds like her quarantine will just be an inconvenience for a while...thankfully no more than that!

Gee...your life's been exciting lately, hasn't it? :o

actually, she's home now. someone else suggested I look up the Ill code,
and it says providing the biting animal was turned over to the county I can keep Free on "House Arrest"...so she's here now. also, when AC got here there was bloodon my hands, from washing Free's wounds, and he thought I had gotten bitten as well. I was not exactly normal last night after all of this....they are sending the coon to a lab to have its brain tested.

the vet that examined her said just to keep the wounds clean. they are concerned about rabies. Coons dont normally act that way around a dog. well, big dog at least....
they are coming out today to search for a den.

then I got yelled at for discharging a weapon within city limits. had to drag out the license and markmanship certificate....

my x taught me to shoot, and I target shoot for sport. here, to own a gun, you have to re-up the licensing fee every year, at 300.00 dollars a year, or get a marksman certificate, and re-up every 3 years at 150.00.
the police put on the classes. and you have to be able to prove you have proper handling skills, know how to load and unload, know the laws (which is why I got yelled at),and prove you have a proper, lockable steel gun cabinet, with seperate compartments for weapon and ammo.

gun has to be kept locked down while not in use.

no I'm not in trouble. just got read the riot act, thats all. I said the same thing you guys did...what if that coon IS rabid? and attacks a child, or another dog, or a puppy before they can get their rabies shot? everyone in this neighborhood has dogs. I have 5 connecting yard neighbors; 4 of them have dogs, who like Free, are out in their yards to play and do their business. as far as I know, I am the ONLY one with a firearm and a marksmanship certificate. (the one neighbor I dont like much ignores me after finding that out...y'see, these things work out - :lol: )

so he kinda chilled out after that, checked out the documentation and said
"ok, in this instance it may have been warranted, so no further action will be taken" (just couldnt break down and say I was right, now could ya?
:lol: :lol: )

I also pointed out that I did try to hit it with a broom first. I heard the fight and looked out the window, got the gun and the broom, tried the non-lethal action first. the AC guy stared at me and said ARE YOU INSANE??? and then started glaring at the cop.....

I have a bad headache now....after all that, I started drinking....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but Free's here, albeit not allowed off the property til Saturday, and they should have the brain result mid-week....

I have been shooting for 10 years now...only once have I ever killed anything...a deer, hit by a car, three legs broken. I had been out target shooting. AC couldnt get there quickly, so I gave them my license number and asked that I be allowed to put it out of its misery. they checked the license and said ok. I came close to shooting the skunk that got my dog twice in one week...then thought "what if its a mom, nursing kits?" and couldnt do it. I couldnt even make the possum under the shed go away....I'm such an animal woos.....

Court, I'm so glad that Free is home! Even though on house arrest, at least she's home.

My dad used to go hunting, but I've never even shot a gun. I would love to go to a shooting range sometime and see how I do. But I've never had an interest in getting guns or getting certified. It's sure good that you did!

Guest Anonymous

I don’t mean to add to your worries, but you should check out this link.
[url]http://www.chicagolandtails.com/coonhound_paralysis[/url]

I had a neighbor who had a lab that was bitten by a raccoon and was partially paralyzed for a couple of months. Hopefully that won’t happen to your dog, but it is something to consider, especially since the initial symptoms can resemble rabies.